Solved Macrium Reflect Free installation problem

No need to spend 50 bucks. Free Macrium can do all of that - except incrementals which one should never use anyway.

Hi there

I disagree -- There's utterly NO REASON NOT to use incrementals -- do you for one minute think large organisations like Banks, Multi-National corporations etc really back up several PB (Peta bytes 1 PB = 1000 X 1 TB) of data every day.

By all means back up the OS as a full image - but other data - especially stuff that doesn't change hugely -- for example Music collections (You DO backup DATA as well don't you !!!) doesn't need a full backup very often - maybe in the case of things like Music - once in two months or even longer.

Restore is easy - just load the last full backup and then a decent restore program will prompt for the relevant incrementals that have been taken since the last full backup. I've never had a problem with this stuff -- and I certainly wouldn't want to re-rip several 1000 CD's (even if I still had them) or re-create large music libraries again - or photos / other important documents etc.

@WHS I respect your advice generally but I really think you've given some bad stuff here -- Incremental Backups are IDEAL in a lot of cases - you just have to know what to use them for and how to use them -- decent professional backup products don't have issues with these any more.

My only wish would be for Windows to incorporate something like the old IBM Mainframe GDG (Generation Data Group) labelling system -- for example Backup(-1) was the last backup prior to the current one, your current one was Backup(0) and the new one is backup(+1). After execution Backup(-1) becomes backup(-2), Backup(0) becomes backup(-1) and backup(+1) becomes backup(0). Simple, elegant easily manageable - but Windows isn't IBM MVS !!!!. Still your backup system will handle the catalog.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I am no bank nor am I Multi- National Corporation. My full images take between 5 and 30 minutes depending what kind of disks are involved. And during the imaging time, I continue using the PC.

I don't like incrementals because one piece in the chain can invalidate the whole chain. If anything, use differentials.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hi there

IMO I'd recommend a full commercial backup for anything other than the simplest of functions -- Acronis 2014 for example is around 40 - 50 USD - and the amount of time it saves (plus your data) it's a no-brainer.

I think I'm going to try the free trial of Acronis anyway, Jimbo as I still have problems opening the Macrium product on one laptop, and, as I think I said before, I am leaning towards a product that will enable me to restore to different hardware, just in case.

And I'm going to makr the thread as 'Solved' because, although I do still have the original problem, I think the possible solutions, and helpful alternatives, have been explored for me.

So thank you everyone who offered advice and suggestions.

Well the only problem with Acronis is there lack of tech support I use both Acronis and Macrium. I think Acronis is in competition for the worst tech support personnel and overall experience With Asus. Get on there support forums that is the only real support you will get peer to peer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
I am no bank nor am I Multi- National Corporation. My full images take between 5 and 30 minutes depending what kind of disks are involved. And during the imaging time, I continue using the PC.

I don't like incrementals because one piece in the chain can invalidate the whole chain. If anything, use differentials.

Hi there
"Differentials" and "Incrementals" I was using as the same sort of technology -- the CHANGES and ADDITIONS between the previous backup and the next.

I think some people even call them "deltas". I probably should have used "differentials" but most places I've been in the word "Incremental Backup" applies to any changes since the last backup was taken.

Difficult on a technical forum always to explain exactly in 100% English - especially if it's not your original native language.

I do agree though ANY form of decent backup is far better than none -- It's just I've had my fare share of problems with Macrium and also Paragon backup - while Acronis has always worked for me.

Use whatever works for you -- ANY backup is better than none - but PLEASE before relying on it entirely TRY A RESTORE as well after making a backup. Use a VM if you must --the last thing you want is even if the backups say job completed OK is to get a backup image can't be read or a restore failure.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
This might be of interest for installing an image from one computer to another.

Reflect_v5

If this is of no help, I apologize for wasting your time. :(

Not wasting my time at all, David, it's all adding to my knowledge. If I do go for a paid version it will definitely be one that allows redeploying. Just got to get the thing working first!

@David - I just wanted to say thank you for your input on my Macrium challenges. I think I have just about resolved these now and it looks like I should be able to use Macrium with both my laptops (fingers crossed!). Incidentally, on the free version of Macrium that I have I've seen an option to Restore to Different Hardware that looked to be active. Though I hope that I never need to use this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521
    CPU
    1.80 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3337U
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0010T1 A00
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio & Intel Display Audio
    Hard Drives
    TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB)
    Cooling
    Additional fan
    Mouse
    Kensington Trackball
    Browser
    IE
    Antivirus
    Emsisoft Internet Security, Malwarebytes free & antiexploit
Back