Low Prices are Driving Rapid Tablet Adoption...

...Where Does That Leave Surface?

"There is no question that Microsoft is in this tablet race to compete for the long haul. However, devices based upon its new Windows 8 and Windows RT operating systems failed to gain much ground during their launch quarter, and reaction to the company's Surface with Windows RT tablet was muted at best," said Ryan Reith, program manager, Mobile Device Trackers at IDC. "We believe that Microsoft and its partners need to quickly adjust to the market realities of smaller screens and lower prices. In the long run, consumers may grow to believe that high-end computing tablets with desktop operating systems are worth a higher premium than other tablets, but until then ASPs on Windows 8 and Windows RT devices need to come down to drive higher volumes."

Low Prices are Driving Rapid Tablet Adoption, Where Does That Leave Surface? | Maximum PC

If Apple and Android products are so bad, why do so many people own them; multiple copies of the same even, as demonstrated on this forum?

Who said they're bad, not me, yes the cheapos are bad but the dearer ones are okay. Problem is most of them are just consumption devices, if you want to get really serious you need a PC or at least a derivative there of, aka Surface. Like I've said I own Android and iPads, while they're okay for most things, there are a lot of times when you wish you could just do everything you can do on a PC.
Like I said if I could stick Windows 8 on my iPads or Android tablet it would be a very easy decision to ditch both. The Mini, well its a piece of junk thats flat out running IOS, I'm going to keep it for a while longer just to remind me not to buy anymore Apple stuff.
All I want is to have one ecosystem that does everything and I hope Microsoft can deliver on that front, it seems to be heading in the right direction.

And yes Ray, I know its not perfect just yet, but then Rome wasnt built in a day, and nor was Apple, its taken them 35 years to make a big iPod.

Oh and the latest one is going to be over $1000.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Lots of people don't want serious, they want simple and satisfying, things that meet their needs.

It took you three iPads and a mini iPad to realise you don't like the products?

It took me one Windows 8 licence to realise I don't like the apps/start menu, nor the Charms. These are charms:

Charms-Titel.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Lots of people don't want serious, they want simple and satisfying, things that meet their needs.

It took you three iPads and a mini iPad to realise you don't like the products?

It took me one Windows 8 licence to realise I don't like the apps/start menu, nor the Charms. These are charms:

View attachment 15870

Maybe if MS had designed the Charms Bar more like that one more people would have liked it.

I bought two iPads at the time they reduced their prices and released the iPad3 at the same time. At that time they were very good value for money and the iPad3 was ahead of anything at that time.
I still like the iPad3 it's good at what it's designed for, but the closed ecosystem is a pain in the butt. The reason a lot of people jailbreak it is for that very reason, they can run more stuff on it. I'd do it myself, but I don't have to I've got plenty of tablets, Netbooks and PC's to do whatever I want.
Like I've said time and time again, I want one ecosystem, then I wouldnt need all this stuff, but then with me it's a bad habit anyway, I'd find some other tech to spend my money on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Back