stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Well, linux in general is terrible, but ubuntu is one of the best distros just because it comes with unity, everyones so much hated, but actually the best linux de, because there is no much choise between some crap-windows95-like de like xfce and others, and bloatware like kde.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
Well, linux in general is terrible, but ubuntu is one of the best distros just because it comes with unity, everyones so much hated, but actually the best linux de, because there is no much choise between some crap-windows95-like de like xfce and others, and bloatware like kde.

What, are you trying to start a fan boy war on Linux distros?:mad:

Actually that is one of the strengths of Linux. Don't like your current desktop, you can just download packages and install another desktop environment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox
Sure, like there is any high quality linux des to choose from :haha: De is one of the linux weaknesses, it all is low quality students homeworks... Thats one of windows 7, 8 strengths - high quality, rock-stable de with high quality, perfect performance effects and great funcionality, combined with good graphics drivers from all manufacturers, even with low performance, 10 years old intel graphics everything is smooth as baby's skin ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj

Linux in general hasn't been a great desktop OS for most Windows users, but Linux in general is not terrible. It runs a ton of the Internet infrastructure. Mail servers, DNS servers, dhcp servers, apache web servers, mysql database servers, etc. It's a matter of choosing the right tool for the job.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I am using Ubuntu right now. Easy UI , everything works out of the box. Great os for the average user.

Some will have special requirements and need to use windows - or run it in a vm - others eg photographers will prefer Macs. That is fine.

I am very impressed with both Ubuntu and Mint.

My grandma would be fine with them .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Even Lightworks is available for Linux now. That is great.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have a feeling that you aren't terribly experienced using Linux. Call me crazy.

I am and yes, it sucks. I have used Linux off and on since '95, taught a college level course on it and it is still rubbish for most people. Drivers are a major issue. Even though I have installed Linux over the years on perhaps over a hundred boxes, I only had a few that were stable due to driver issues.

Needlessly complicated. Let's say you want to change folder options chmod 777 but what do the numbers mean? You have to think in sets of 8,... Now picture a classroom that all of the students who's mind just stopped.

Normal users shouldn't have to be concerned with recompiling the kernel, tapping out cryptic commands to install applications. Look at the beautiful and easy to use product that Apple produced from BSD. Look at the stability that you could have if you had stable drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
I guess you've just had bad luck

Normal users shouldn't have to be concerned with recompiling the kernel, tapping out cryptic commands to install applications. Look at the beautiful and easy to use product that Apple produced from BSD. Look at the stability that you could have if you had stable drivers.

Only the "ultra-geeks" recompile kernels.

You only need to use the Terminal to install programs if they aren't in the Repository.
The average user would probably never need anything that wasn't in the Repository.

Linux Mint 14 had no problems with my hardware.

In fact, the other day when I connected my monitor to my PC using a HDMI cable (replaced the old VGA style cable) Linux Mint didn't need any adjustment.
In Windows 7, I had to start the awful Catalyst Control Center and screw around with the settings (overscan and underscan) to get it to display correctly.

That said I replaced Ubuntu 10 LTS with Linux Mint 14, because it would not run the ATI graphics card correctly (it had no problems with the previous NVidia card).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I have a feeling that you aren't terribly experienced using Linux. Call me crazy.

I am and yes, it sucks. I have used Linux off and on since '95, taught a college level course on it and it is still rubbish for most people. Drivers are a major issue. Even though I have installed Linux over the years on perhaps over a hundred boxes, I only had a few that were stable due to driver issues.

Needlessly complicated. Let's say you want to change folder options chmod 777 but what do the numbers mean? You have to think in sets of 8,... Now picture a classroom that all of the students who's mind just stopped.

777 is read, write, execute for the owner, group, and everyone else.

I think it's great, but mostly at the server level with people who appreciate those cryptic commands. Yum install httpd is far easier than the old rpm commands with dependency issues.

Apple has very little hardware to support, with nearly no customization options. That does make it a bit easier to customize and keep it running stable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
"I've always wanted to pick from over 500 different Linux systems!" -Said no one in the real consumer world ever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
You are correct about Apple having to support very little hardware which means it's drivers should be (but not always) very stable but that still doesn't explain how they made it easy and Linux is still difficult. I do think that Ubuntu has done a good job in attempting to bring it to the masses but Linux will never take off as a desktop replacement until they can get rid of the geeks that thrive on the geekness of Linux. In other words, the same thing that makes Linux so great is the same thing that will always hold it back from making grounds on the desktop end. Your typical user should never have to open up a terminal to perform everyday tasks such as installing software that isn't in the default 'market/store'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
You are correct about Apple having to support very little hardware which means it's drivers should be (but not always) very stable but that still doesn't explain how they made it easy and Linux is still difficult. I do think that Ubuntu has done a good job in attempting to bring it to the masses but Linux will never take off as a desktop replacement until they can get rid of the geeks that thrive on the geekness of Linux. In other words, the same thing that makes Linux so great is the same thing that will always hold it back from making grounds on the desktop end. Your typical user should never have to open up a terminal to perform everyday tasks such as installing software that isn't in the default 'market/store'.

This is true.

The other day I was looking up how to stream video from my TV card with VLC player and I found a how-to site with that, but it pertained to Linux. I think to get something special with DirectShow to work, the article stated you needed to patch your kernel before doing this.

Ummm...I'm not a programmer of any kind so having to go patch my kernel just so I can try to get TV content to stream is called, let's see, "Too much damn effort for what it's worth." I can't think of any person I know in the flesh who would take it upon themselves to do that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
And it's diversity is also an issue. Yes, if what you are into is wearing water flippers while dancing at a Star Trek fan group meeting on a pogo stick, I'm sure there is a distro that has been built with you in mind complete with its own methods of installing and using software. Doing a default install of SUSE will give you a stack of different text editors everyone will give you instructions using the editor of their own choice. Emacs vs VI?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
@Cokie,

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. It serves as a useful guide.

If Cokie doesn't like it - it will almost certainly be great, and vice versa.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Seems to me it is very well done in Ubuntu.

Not many will need to look further than the software centre with one click install.

For those few who may want something not already in the software centre, just download the installer (deb file ) and run it. That isn't any harder than running an installer in Windows.

There is an extra option for the very geeky to add ppas if they wish, for the daily builds from Mozilla and so on - that is when you would use the terminal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Not terribly experienced, but I'm entailed to my opinion on what I like and don't like and if I don't like it because I don't like it, there isn't anything you can do to say to change that.
I wouldn't attempt in a million years to change your opinion about something. I'm just not going to put much value in a blank claim of "what a terrible operating system", from somebody with very little experience actually using it.

"I've always wanted to pick from over 500 different Linux systems!" -Said no one in the real consumer world ever.
Um, why do you think that there are 500 different Linux distros out there? It's obviously people who saw a value, need or reason to spin their own distro. Some of these people are consumers as well.

You are correct about Apple having to support very little hardware which means it's drivers should be (but not always) very stable but that still doesn't explain how they made it easy and Linux is still difficult.
Sure it does, they have built a very locked down non customizable graphical wrapper around the core and forced their end users to use it. These users willingly accept that.

Linux on the other hand is trying to support all different kinds of hardware, on both new and old machines, using many devices that are simply "made for Windows by their manufacturers". Instead of having a pre-set way of doing something, Linux is open. You are provided an often overwhelming amount of choice. With that choice comes a learning curve and a higher amount of knowledge to often get something set up and working. It's certainly not simple for most people. On a positive note, you won't often find an end user who figured out how to start up a web server with a few clicks that is full of holes and is a huge security vulnerability....< but this happens all of the time with other Operating Systems. The Linux guy has to learn a bit along the way and at the end of the day, I argue that it's a better approach.

In other words, the same thing that makes Linux so great is the same thing that will always hold it back from making grounds on the desktop end. Your typical user should never have to open up a terminal to perform everyday tasks such as installing software that isn't in the default 'market/store'.
Yes, that will always hold Linux back, but it's absolutely core to it's fundamental concept. The community isn't ever going to agree on 1 way to do all things. It will never happen. If that means no Linux mass appeal at the desktop, I'm fine with that. I value my choices too much on the server end to ever have my hand forced.

Personally, most software in Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora can be installed with graphical tools like Synaptic and such. But the fact remains, that for many an admin, doing things at the command line is simply preferred. My Linux servers NEVER run a desktop, EVER. it's simply not needed. Documentation is perfect and it's all cut and paste and can all be scripted. Never in a million years do I want to see Linux instructions which say, "click here, click here, check this, click on Ok, Ok, Ok, finish". When people at work follow my documentation at work, they simply paste the command, hit enter and get it right 100% of the time. This is exactly why you see so much documentation on forums and wikis that use these cryptic commands. they are precise.

And in the event of a system crash or failure, it's a matter of restoring a couple of config files and startup scripts and the box is right back in action. That beats the pants off having to deal with the registry, etc. < But that's my just my opinion. I've been doing Windows and Linux server admin stuff since 1997.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Actually, mentioning 500 distro isn't that far off from reality! Distro watch lists the top 100 and even that huge list doesn't cover all of the minor distros. Many are put together not because there was a need but as a geek experiment that got out of control! You mentioned the ease of restoring a crashed server using Linux. Pretty much the same ease in the windows side as well. Just last week I had the privilege to restore a server due to a botched upgrade with just a few clicks.
Linux on a desktop is a geeks version of a toy but that toy is getting better with time. How many years now have Linux fans been saying that this is their year they will take a huge market share in the desktop?
With that said, we have thought about moving all of our desktops not in Corp to Linux. Ok, the CIO mentioned it after someone joked about it in a meeting. We quickly changed the topic and didn't allow that person to joke about it again! We have too many people in a whole new world of discovery every time they approach these magical TV sets with the typewriter attached to think about trying to teach them the Linux way

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
It is about commercial reality.

Ubuntu Unity is perfectly fine as a desktop os.

It will never take off unless it gets proper exposure to the public. Joe public goes into pc's r us. If he has the cash - he might get a Mac - if not he gets windows. Ubuntu is not there. Joe has not heard of it and never sees it.

It is not a level playing field.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back