Let's Take a Vote!!!!

I'm curious how many screens you metro lovers are using?

I regularly use 4 of the Metro apps, I should try out the Maps app, but I just use Google maps at the mo. I don't think the Pictures, Video or Music app are very good, I still use Media Centre. But don't forget that most of these are preview apps and also there will be 1000's more available.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    REVO PC
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1100T 3300MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX460
No I mean how many monitors?

I have a theory that the lovers of the new start screen only have one monitor/screen, once you have more than that then it's bloody useless.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    me
    CPU
    i9
I only use 1 monitor, does it not support multi monitors properly? what could you do on W7 that you can't on W8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    REVO PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX460
No, everything is stuck in the primary screen metro display and the other screens just show your desktop.

The charmbar is also virtually impossible to open via the mouse, multiple remote desktops by default can only be used in on the primary display and you change between each one rather than have them on different screens, I really could go on and on at the failings for the power user but there's no point because as it stands I'm sticking with Windows 7.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    me
    CPU
    i9
As MS seem hell bent on grabbing a slice of the phone/tablet market so they can secure their income via app downloads plus a bit on the side called monthly cloud subscriptions then they will alienate a fair few normal desktop users. I don't think MS are going to offer the classic UI for Win8 even though they could grab some extra $$$'s by doing so. Certainly by all accounts Win8 is a far superior OS to Win7 and they could sell it based on that alone.

MS though have bet the farm on this. Many tech companies have done this in the past. Some have succeeded and many have failed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
I voted yes because I am used to that orb right there and I don't want my taskbar to look flat. The new Windows logo is ugly to me. No contrast of the 4 colors. If they still have the charm bar at the right and the old Start button and Start Menu on the lower left of the Taskbar, I think, it will favor more people, whether you're a Metro lover or not, that would favor both worlds. What's the harm with that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
As MS seem hell bent on grabbing a slice of the phone/tablet market so they can secure their income via app downloads plus a bit on the side called monthly cloud subscriptions then they will alienate a fair few normal desktop users.

You don't have to download apps and pay for cloud unless you want too, I don't understand your point?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    REVO PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX460
Well, for me I like the metro, like that you can have everything (almost everything) when on the start you click the mouse on the right.

Myself, I do not need more.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
You don't have to download apps and pay for cloud unless you want too, I don't understand your point?

Of course you don't need to download apps, etc but MS are trying to play catch-up with the Apple gang and Apple do very nicely $$ wise in this area of the market. Just my take on things as they stand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
Still every week I hear people say "what a loud of crap Vista was" and I reply "what didn't you like about it?" and they often can't reply.
I know Vista needed more RAM, but otherwise it was a big improvement over Windows XP. The main reason it got a bad name was because it was a big step, and removing the start menu looks like a too bigger step for many people, but it's really not!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    REVO PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX460
Still every week I hear people say "what a loud of crap Vista was" and I reply "what didn't you like about it?" and they often can't reply.
I know Vista needed more RAM, but otherwise it was a big improvement over Windows XP. The main reason it got a bad name was because it was a big step, just like removing the start menu.

I never had a problem with Vista once I removed all the junk (for me anyway) and got the thing up to speed. But the media killed the thing off and of course mud (or whatever) sticks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
No, everything is stuck in the primary screen metro display and the other screens just show your desktop.

The charmbar is also virtually impossible to open via the mouse, multiple remote desktops by default can only be used in on the primary display and you change between each one rather than have them on different screens, I really could go on and on at the failings for the power user but there's no point because as it stands I'm sticking with Windows 7.

:thumb: Windows 8 is a major step back for users who use more than a monitor or VM

Note; you can move the Start Page to the other monitor with the Windows Key + press Page up or Page Down, but the apps you open will stuck on that page too, so you have to move them back to the primary monitor, more moves less productivity.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I know Vista needed more RAM, but otherwise it was a big improvement over Windows XP. The main reason it got a bad name was because it was a big step, and removing the start menu looks like a too bigger step for many people, but it's really not!

Vista was always a resource-hog, had steep (for the time) hardware requirements, and was as stable as a drunken 15-year-old.

Time, and the Service-Packs fixed most of that.

But it still runs like a slug compared to XP, 7 or 8, and is still pretty crash-prone.

Nice OS to use, tho, when it's working properly. I still run a copy of Vista Ultimate on another machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
I never had any problems with Vista, from day one it was rock solid on my system.

You are right, many had no probs at all. Others had a plethora of them.

Just like most OSes, I'd bet.

But no, Vista wasn't/isn't the dog that some claim.

As stated, I'm still using it (Ultimate) on one of my systems
(a P4 desktop) without any real issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
:thumb: Windows 8 is a major step back for users who use more than a monitor or VM

I'm just interested to know, what could you do on W7 with multi monitor that you can't do on W8, and why is the removing of the start button to blame? Do you want duplicate screen on each monitor? I haven't tried more than 1 monitor in W8, but maybe there is a way of doing what you want. I have limited experience with multi screens, but normally it's controlled by your graphics card drivers, so maybe your options will improve when better drivers are available.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    REVO PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX460
What I want; I want a resizable floating Start Page, so I can put it where I want, and the size I want. If it’s design to be use on a phone I don’t see why it can be used in a window

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
What I want; I want a resizable floating Start Page, so I can put it where I want, and the size I want. If it’s design to be use on a phone I don’t see why it can be used in a window

I kind of understand that, but you can't do that in Windows 7, and removing the start page and going back to a start menu will not help you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    REVO PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX460
I kind of understand that, but you can't do that in Windows 7, and removing the start page and going back to a start menu will not help you.

I never say to remove the start page, I said to make it resizable, big difference. And what is the problem to give us a Start menu, since when it's a problem to have 2 choices instead of only one. Why for Metro fanboyish is so hard to understand we can have both option

As you said, you have not try Windows 8 with multi monitors, so you can't comment on it. Try it and after come back to us we gone talk about the need to keep the start menu or not, if they make the start page resizable we will may be ot need a start menu. ..... Aside I don't know if some of you have try metro with eyefinity, but it’s dam ugly spread on 3 monitors , Start page as to be resizable. Peoples don't stop to say to the one who don't love the start page to just keep living in the past and use Windows 7, for my own usage using only 1 monitor is living in the past.

win8-desk-metro.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info

I never say to remove the start page, I said to make it resizable, big difference.

As you said, you have not try Windows 8 with multi monitors, so you can't comment on it. Try it and after come back to us we gone talk about the need to keep the start menu or not..... Aside I don't know if some of you have try metro with eyefinity, but it’s dam ugly spread on 3 monitors , Start page as to be resizable.

win8-desk-metro.jpg

I wasn't commenting, I was just trying to understand what you couldn't do in W8, that you could in W7. I will try a second monitor, and see what the short falls are for myself.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    REVO PC
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    8GB DDR3