Lenovo entering 'PC plus' era, CEO says

PC demand growth has waned over the past year as more consumers flock to ultraportable and increasingly powerful tablets and smartphones for basic computing. Hewlett Packard (HP), Dell and other stalwarts of the PC industry are now fighting to sustain growth as tablet computers eat into their PC-related businesses.

But PCs aren't disappearing anytime soon.

"We don't live in a post-PC world," Lenovo Chief Executive Yuanqing Yang said in an interview in Las Vegas on Wednesday. "We are entering the PC plus era."

Yang said it is a post-PC world for one group: companies that do not innovate in PCs.

Lenovo, he said, has redefined the category with products like Yoga, a laptop running Microsoft Corp's Windows 8 that can be converted to a tablet PC by flipping the screen all the way backwards, and Twist, another laptop that has a screen connected through a hinge.

The two laptops have had brisk sales in the United States with Lenovo capturing 40 percent consumer market share in the $900 and above category.

Lenovo entering 'PC plus' era, CEO says | Reuters

I'd say its got a lot to do with ease of use and precision, Metro is very easy to use, you can just push screens out of the way. Also I'd say Windows 8 would use less battery power, especially in Metro or RT.

I can do exactly with my current tablet, with either version of Windows. For people who do not need/want the apps, how they work is irrelevant. Battery power with the Surface Pro will be no different to that of most tablets running Atom or iX processors and may well be worse than many notebooks/laptops because of battery size limitations. Running apps will not save on battery power, as it's the processor, graphics etc that consumes the power.

I wouldn't be so sure about the battery life example, Windows 8 was designed with extended battery life in mind right from the start, why do you think they stripped out all the PC stuff.

No way on earth can a Windows 7 tablet compete with Windows 8 in this category and despite your efforts to prove the contrary this fact won't be changing anytime soon. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Just curious chev65, what "PC stuff" did they strip out of Win8? I know Windows RT is stripped down, but was under the impression Win8 is full Windows.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT
I'd say its got a lot to do with ease of use and precision, Metro is very easy to use, you can just push screens out of the way. Also I'd say Windows 8 would use less battery power, especially in Metro or RT.

I can do exactly with my current tablet, with either version of Windows. For people who do not need/want the apps, how they work is irrelevant. Battery power with the Surface Pro will be no different to that of most tablets running Atom or iX processors and may well be worse than many notebooks/laptops because of battery size limitations. Running apps will not save on battery power, as it's the processor, graphics etc that consumes the power.

I wouldn't be so sure about the battery life example, Windows 8 was designed with extended battery life in mind right from the start, why do you think they stripped out all the PC stuff.

No way on earth can a Windows 7 tablet compete with Windows 8 in this category and despite your efforts to prove the contrary this fact won't be changing anytime soon. :geek:

Yes, please enlighten us as to how the Windows 7 OS was stripped in order to create Windows 8.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that a Windows 7 tablet would be the same as a Windows 8 tablet. However, in a desktop environment, a Windows 7 tablet can perform just as well as a Windows 8 tablet, maybe better, as it is a full desktop environment that doesn't require third party add-ons.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Back