Leaving XP Pro for Windows 8

I appreciate all that has been shared as to whether or not my next operating system on my new computer should be Windows 8. Is it true that Windows 8 built-in email client has trouble with POP email server settings? Very curious about that. I am also including a recent screenshot of my current XP Pro desktop. I certainly would think I can customize my future desktop in this same manner, with Windows 8. What are your thoughts?
desktop.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP Pro
I've got to chuckle, not at you, but I've seen a lot of desktops like that, including mine at one time. It's certainly ok if you prefer that, but I find the Start Screen and Apps Screen much handier to use so far as organizing in titled columns. While I'm there I get at-a-glance info. With desktop icons one has to move or minimize windows to get to one. A simple WinKey stroke, mouse gesture & click in lower left hot corner, or with finger on touch screen gets you to Start Screen, so therefore not disturbing the Desktop at all. It's similar to Start Menu, except better IMO. 8.x also has the slide out Switcher Bar at the left.

8.1 (not 8) will boot to desktop when configured, so yes, you can have the same desktop.

The included email app will not accept POP accounts, but there are other email clients one can use, although the Mail, People, Calendar, Photos, and other apps run in conjunction with one another.

Windows 8 Forums - Search Results

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/4506-post-your-start-screen.html

Start screen - Windows tutorial

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi there

You could of course continue to use XP as a Virtual Machine -- In fact I'd do that anyway while you are switching over to Windows 8 -- that way you can continue to use Outlook express (Still IMO one of the BEST email clients of all time -- simple and did exactly what it said on the tin). I use OFFICE now with Ms Outlook which works fine but there are others (Free) like thunderbird. I still think you'll mis OE unless you install Ms Office.

As for desktops -- not quite as bad but here's my Linux laptop one with Windows 8.1 running as a VM on it.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• snapshot9.jpg
    snapshot9.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 43

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I appreciate all that has been shared as to whether or not my next operating system on my new computer should be Windows 8. Is it true that Windows 8 built-in email client has trouble with POP email server settings? Very curious about that. I am also including a recent screenshot of my current XP Pro desktop. I certainly would think I can customize my future desktop in this same manner, with Windows 8. What are your thoughts?
View attachment 47877

LOL... that's one crazy desktop!

You'll probably love Windows 8's Start/Apps screens.

Just BTW - what does XP do when, lets say the desktop real estate's all used up, and one tries to paste a shortcut? I see one lttle spot left on that desktop...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Hi there

With W8.1 you can pin things to the desktop like that if you so desire.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Excellent! Actually I showed my current desktop like that, in order to understand if Windows8 allows the same functionality. Keep in mind, I only have a handful of those icons that I rely on to click and access. Such as Photoshop, Chrome, Outlook Express and maybe 4 or 5 more....but really, the one big concern is the email client then. I do have an account already set up with Windows Live and also want to emphasize the fact that the current machine I type this one, will be set aside (one excellent recommendation was using as a secondary storage device) and will have a completely new machine built soon. So in retrospect:

#1. The best operating system is my concern (why I am considerin Windows 8 over Windows7)
#2. The email client that will be best that works in conjunction with (Windows8?) the operating system I choose
#3. As per my last screenshot, if I can configure the operating system to display easy access by setting up desktop icons, fine.
#4. Will Microsoft programs like Frontpage, or programs like Photoshop install OK on Windows 8? Will Chrome and IE8 work OK? etc

These are basic questions but want to be certain BEFORE I get the new computer built. As mentioned, this one is roughly 8 or 9 years old and does work OK....I just want something new and want to use this as a secondary storage (keeping it under the computer table) and since I have my own dot com business email address, I still would want to get my incoming emails in that manner. To understand what I do, here is my main page, (built the site on this machine using WordPress - took 13 months, a nightmare) and I also offer web designers this. That's my specialty....I have thousands of my images divided into dozens if not hundreds of folders on the current hard drive of this machine. My tech person does have his own "on-site" server where he did say he can put everything on my current hard drive for safe storage on their on-site server while building the new machine and then uplaod it all onto the new hd.

In any case, feel free to offer any new thoughts, comments, caveats, suggestions etc. I take all this as food-for-thought. I appreciate it!
CARRYING-IPAD.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP Pro
Hi there

Use the old one as a SERVER - once it's up and running you don't need to keep terminal, keyboard or even a mouse attched - just connect if you want to logon to the server or use VNC from your other machine. Simply on the old computer just install any decent free Linux distro -- use SAMBA to share windows HDD's -- These days even setting up SAMBA shares are done via simple GUI's -- Linux has pluh 'n play and is probably light years better now than perhaps if you had played with it even a few years ago and best of all nearly all the software is FREE.

So Use your old machine for sharing HDD's -- you can use the HDD's for backing up etc from your new computer too --the server can also act as your Internet gateway if you want - but that's not necessary. If you want WIFI connection for your network you can get a USB wireless receiver if you want to avoid cables - but those Mains Lan connector things are quite good for a Home user.

As Browsers go IE8 might be a bit old --IE11 will work. A lot of the other stuff should too -- Windows 8.1 sometimes runs older XP programs better than Win 7.

Email client -- you are on your own on that one -- Perhaps you can find a cheap copy of Office 2007 around - Outlook hasn't changed much and the version on Office 2007 is just as good as the latest on Office 2013.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Thanks Jimbo. I haven't the foggiest as to applying this current machine and using as a server in the future. I'd initially want to avoid having to rely on THIS one, in order to use a new one and think it ought to require more plugs into the current power strip....I have enough now as it is....all-in-one copier and lights etc. I cringe during lightning storms lol. I could still keep this as the storage unit though and see no reason why having a completely new machine free from this one shouldn't serve my intended (hopefully) new purposes. I sincerely appreciate your input though. Meant alot! I'm trying to streamline what I do, and it's just seeing this old machine then reconfigured to a new machine....I really don't see it as a necessity. Except for storage....there's a battery in this etc. I did appreciate the info on getting Office 2007....I now need to see how compatible that would be with these new Windows OS's. I wasn't aware there was even an IE11. This old XP Pro won't allow me to even install version 8! So hope you can understand all my questions about new machine + OS! Great stuff you offered!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP Pro
The closest you will find to Outlook Express Is Windows Live Mail which does work well under Windows 8.1. You can export OE mail, contacts, favorites and import to WLM. I've done this for several friends and it's worked well for them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
So do you mean Ztruker, that having my tech person install Office 2007 it is not advisable? Also, I just clicked my LiveMail desktop icon which takes me to the page in screenshot below.
lm.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP Pro
I didn't say not to install Office 2007, that's up to you whether you want it or not. If you want to use Outlook instead of Windows Live Mail or LiveMail then you do need Office.

LiveMail is not the same as Windows Live Mail, which is part of Windows Essentials which has Mail, OneDrive and Writer. When I install it, I install only Mail as I didn't want the other stuff.

I don't know anything about LiveMail that is in Windows 8.1 as I've never used it. I don't use any of the Modern apps. I have installed Start8 or Classic Shell and disable the hot corners so the only way to get to the Modern Start Screen is via Windows key + C. I boot directly to the Desktop and run Windows 8/8.1 just like Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
Thankks for your clarification. Glad I asked. So now I know when I ask my tech guy to build the new machine, to install Office 2007. I appreciate it it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP Pro
Back