Is the Xbox a sign of the future

Does this give some clues are to where Microsoft is heading with Windows 8?

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform.

The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray discs and new Kinect | News | Edge Online

And:

You’ve got to admire Microsoft’s bravery. News that its next Xbox could shut out the second-hand games market has caused strong reactions across social media today, and it has impacted upon the real world too. GameStop’s share price took a dent following the publication of our story earlier this afternoon.

Risky business: the next Xbox versus PlayStation 4 | Features | Edge Online

.The way to stop this manipulation is for people to vote with their wallets

I am voting with my wallet, I want everything digital. I belong to the digital age. I buy stuff on iTunes and Playstore, Movies, Music and Games, and now I've started buying on the Windows Store.

Actually I wish I could fly digitally, I do a lot of travelling but I still can't say I like flying, I think I'd like it better if I had wings.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
How silly, and I doubt it. I connect my 360 through an Ethernet cable to my computer to access the internet because I have mobile broadband. Destroying the principle advantage over a console, which is offline playability and second hand games would really make this new generation of consoles fail. We don't have universally inexpensive internet across countries, so they'd be locking themselves out of entire markets.
If constant internet connections worked- it would already have been used on PC games. Companies can't afford to do it because the internet's not a single entity. Like different computers, there are different ISP providers all with varying levels of coverage. It's just like that insipid rumour about the new XBOX '720' not having a disc drawer- obviously now not true. Internet activation to eliminate the need for the disc continually in the drawer as a one time thing- certainly would be appreciated. But I'd never have bought a console that was without hard copies of the games. I hope these things can play 360 games- what annoys me most I guess is that the new generations can be wholly inadequate at playing old games and why PC gaming is much more logical, out of the box compatibility is the difference between me buying the new generation, aside from the internet thing, and just sticking with my new PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 64-bit/ Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Desktop: Allison Designs by Austin Computers / Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L50-A006
    CPU
    Intel Core i5- 4590/ Intel Core i5 processor 4200U
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H97M-D3H/ ?
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston at 1600 Mhz/ 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 OC Windforce (2 GB/256-bit)/ nVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio'
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 2216Vw 22"/ 15.6" Widescreen HD LED Backlit Display
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050 / 1366*768
    Hard Drives
    2 TB Western Digital Black Caviar Drive (7200 RPM)/ 750GB (5400rpm) with Toshiba HDD Accelerator
    PSU
    Coolermaster 750W VS Series 80+ Gold Power Supply (Desktop Only)
    Case
    Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case (Desktop Only)
    Cooling
    Two Case 120 mm fans and GPU, CPU, PSU cooled by own fans respectively. (Desktop Only)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wired Keyboard Desktop 600 (Desktop Only)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wired Mouse 600/ Toshiba Touchpad and Logitech Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer and Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 by Symantec
I wonder if Microsoft will set up a further subscription tier with the new Xbox. Have a lower end model sell cheaper on subscription, but higher game prices if one is not a huge gamer. On the high end, a more expensive Xbox that Microsoft gets profit off of, but lower game prices, kind of like the Steam model.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I don't see the big deal. You try to sell a used game to Game Stop and they give you a few bucks for them then put them on shelf some $10 bucks lower than a new copy. If the game is an old title you can usually find them new for cheap in the bargain bins. If the game is a new title a used copy isn't worth buying since you can get it new for a little bit more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Does this give some clues are to where Microsoft is heading with Windows 8?

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform.

The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray discs and new Kinect | News | Edge Online

And:

You’ve got to admire Microsoft’s bravery. News that its next Xbox could shut out the second-hand games market has caused strong reactions across social media today, and it has impacted upon the real world too. GameStop’s share price took a dent following the publication of our story earlier this afternoon.

Risky business: the next Xbox versus PlayStation 4 | Features | Edge Online

The more ownership they can move into their hands, the more they can dictate when you have pull out the wallet to play. Private ownership of goods likes games is slowly going away. Cloud, SAS etc all see the potential in this.

I'm still using office 2003 for about a third or more of my company and it is working just fine. Meets the needs. Paid once almost a decade ago and STILL getting our moneys worth out of it. I don't think software companies like this. They want that recurring transaction. They want more access to your wallet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

My xbox is always online and i buy second games? what are they talking about????

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Toshiba Satellite
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8gig DD3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000