Is the Surface Pro for you

No, I didn't know that was the HUGEST.

Quite a sizeable middle class on the mainland now.

A lot of kids are here doing MBA's - that isn't cheap.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Getting back to the Surface Pro, I've heard that the battery life is on at least par with the MacBook Air, yet everyone thinks the MBA, is just absolutely thrilling. Actually some owners report just over two hours on the MBA and most well under 5 hours.

Also the MBA seems to have less storage space after putting the OS on there compared to the 128GB Surface Pro or very similar at least.

Seems to me to be an excellent replacement for the MBA as I think the Air is also heavier. Just think if this Surface had a fruit logo on it, the web would light up like a Christmas tree.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Getting back to the Surface Pro, I've heard that the battery life is on at least par with the MacBook Air, yet everyone thinks the MBA, is just absolutely thrilling. Actually some owners report just over two hours on the MBA and most well under 5 hours.

Also the MBA seems to have less storage space after putting the OS on there compared to the 128GB Surface Pro or very similar at least.

Seems to me to be an excellent replacement for the MBA as I think the Air is also heavier. Just think if this Surface had a fruit logo on it, the web would light up like a Christmas tree.
It's amazing to think that apple actually considered using the mac os to use on a tablet when they were developing the ipad. They obviously decided against it. If they did however, and release the ipad as well, what a different world it would be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
only if it comes down in price, way to expensive for me

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
If you regard the surface pro as a modern tablet, battery life is ridiculous. If you consider the surface pro an ultrabook without the keyboard, then battery life is ok. Then again, one might wonder why you'd want to remove the keyboard in the first place. Battery life is not really the problem, but the symptom: a form factor that perhaps doesn't make sense in the first place is the big issue here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Reports show that Windows Phone market share is in the very low single digits in the U.S. and have declined since the release of Windows Phone 8

Declined - that used to mean gone down.

Reading a bit further..ah,yes that is what he means

Microsoft had a 2.9% market share of the smartphone market in the U.S...More disturbing still is that Microsoft's market share declined from the quarter previous, when it had a 3.6% market share. That means that Microsoft's share of the smartphone market declinced since the release of Windows Phone 8.

That is unfortunate - I don't have one of those - but apparently it ain't bad as a phone o/s.

% terms in a MATURE market is usually a total misleading statistics -- instead of the % share of the market look at VOLUMES SHIPED and SOLD.

(I've posted before -- Stats - can be totally MISLEADING -- you need to know WHAT EXACTLY YOU ARE MEASURING and HOW IT RELATES TO THE STATEMENT YOU ARE MAKING).

Are you telling me that less and less people are buying Windows 8 phones - because that's blatently not the case. W8 phones in this MATURE market are doing quite nicely and even better in places like china. Also you need to split off the rather poor older Windows 7 phones which were a dog from the newer Windows 8 ones like the new Nokia Lumia's (for some reason the yellow ones seem very popular !!).

Nobody these days is going to capture 100% of the market -- and Ms is playing catchup with people like Samsung etc.

I really HATE the sheer Short termness mentality of most of the American business community. If it's not an instant success it's a failure -- no time to decently grow a market etc-.

The Windows 8 phone market is actually coming along quite nicely -- of course it's not "Growing" as fast as some of the other phones --how could it possibly - there aren't enough handsets, or even outlets to even to start EVEN THINKING of competing with the Iphone --YET --but this is where the wretchedness of the US Short termism comes into play -- what about the aging Iphone 4 and replacement / upgrade market -- of course much smaller than the original market - but since nearly everybody has a smart phone now that market has matured and requires a totally different strategy to the original processes when smartphones were new.

The Surface pro is another type of device -- actually Ms should be commended on getting something decently portable which combines the power of a PC with a tablet form factor. I think even before tablets became the rage I posted somewhere quite a while ago that this is what the tablet market would "morph" into and the idea of a bog standard plain tablet would eventually become as dead as the dodo.

With a decent docking station and a proper keyboard this could EASILY replace quite a powerful laptop -- and when you just want it in tablet mode it does that job just perfectly too.

Price might be a little high and the keyboard on offer is diabolical -- anybody needing a keyboard will undoubtedly use a proper wireless usb one.

Battery life on the whole isn't really an issue -- how many times do you really get constrained by the lack of battery life on your device. - Most places where I'd use one of these in "Portable mode" such as on a train or bar or airport there are electrical sockets available (yes even in a bar - there's always a few sockets around - or do you visit those establishments which are never cleaned so don't have any electrical power for vacuum cleaners etc etc) !!.

If I'm on a plane even on a trip from Manchester (UK) to LA - 10 hrs approx. I wouldn't want to use a computer for more than around 2 to 3 hrs at the most so even here battery life isn't a huge issue -- and I suspect if it wasn't something like movie watching the battery life on this tablet could be ecked out a bit longer.

What I fail to understand is why on earth the RT was released first --usually you release the flagship product first and then the cheaper less featured models -- suspect Xmas was the guilty factor here --but the RT tended to backfire a bit -- Too much tablet and not enough PC for the price,

I shall certainly look at the Surface Pro but won't pay the standard retail price -- I shall either wait until the next (probably cheaper model) comes out or trawl around to source a highly discounted version -- I don't think Ms will restrict selling these only in their own stores as there aren't enough of these outlets around if Ms really want to push sales.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Honestly, Windows Phone is not doing any better than it ever has: Canalys: Android was a third of all cellphone shipments in Q4. Will it ever do better?

Is Windows RT likely to fare better? I really, really, hope that Microsoft doesn't kill off the desktop chasing unicorns.

Hi there
That doesn't say anything about VOLUMES of Windows 8 phones shipped -- Of course Android has a huge market - and it also is used on most of the cheaper phones too -- important in emerging markets.

If you can get it through your cranium -- look at the TREND but also in the trend line you have to look at volumes PRODUCED as well.

If you've only made say 3 handsets - that's all you can sell so of course your % in relation to numbers of handsets sold (all handsets) will be tiny.

As I re-iterate as well -- don't be trapped into the typical US "Short termism" mentality -- it will take a while to grow the W8 phone market which it's certainly beginning to do -- certainly in Europe and Asia. It will take a while before the real stats mean anything about W8 phones in comparison to the rest.

For the first time for a while Nokia is even forecasting making some profits by Q2 2013. Hasn't done that for a while. --(Investors also are interested in FUTURE prospects --what happened even as recent as YESTERDAY is of no consequence -- basic Market trading 101. !!).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Admittedly, my cranium has a very fine filter, so I guess a lot of potential doesn't get through. That said, I thought Microsoft has demonstrated long-term commitment, considering that Windows Phone has been around for a year or more at the vey least and garnered exalting reviews all round. My Windows 6.5 phone is just dandy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Back