Iphone 5 - Stick to Samsung or new Nokia Windows 8 phone

The original point of the post was to say that the iPhone 5 brings nothing new to the table and people like Samsung / HTC have great new (Much Cheaper) options than Apple and while earkier releases of Android deserved the title "Dumbdroid" the latest releases are stable and work very well indeed (ICS rel >= 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich -- who thinks BTW of these stupid names !!!).
While the iPhone 5 doesn't bring with it a ton of new revolutionary features, it does improve upon it's prior version. It's got a larger screen, faster everything, thinner, lighter, better on battery, better camera, new smaller reversible dock port...thus features that people really want. We can argue about features like NFC, or wireless charging...but these aren't big on most peoples lists.

As far as cost goes, at $199 they aren't terribly overpriced like many Apple products.

Stupid names go hand in hand with Android. Now we have Jellybean and Project Butter. Honestly, I cannot tell much difference between Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean. Fonts are about the most standout feature as far as I have noticed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Once people start getting involved with "Farcebook" or become "Twats" on Twitter -- all bets are off.

Hilarious.

Seriously, when you get to that point you have lost them. I went to a ballgame last year and I kid you not, a family of four in the row right in front of me all had their phones out the ENTIRE game, not talking to each other, checking FB and whatever else they had to check for three straight hours. They barely spoke a word to each other.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Apple is risking consumer removal if they continue their horrid lawsuits against everything that moves, they really need to back off.

Do you really think the average consumer of these devices gives a rip about the legal situation between Apple and Samsung? They buy the phones because they like them, that's all. Only the most diehard "fanboi" is going to react by boycotting Apple or Samsung over their legal fights.

-Max

That's not the point. Samsung has been copying iPhone designs for years but it wasn't until Apple not only lost market share to Android but also Samsung became the number one phone seller that Apple decided to go after them. They aren't innovating and therefore losing market share so to make their money they go after other companies. It's no wonder they've been patenting everything and anything they do for years. Anyone else that makes a phone that is rectangle with rounded corners with an OS that uses icons better lookout, Apple may come after you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
The original point of the post was to say that the iPhone 5 brings nothing new to the table and people like Samsung / HTC have great new (Much Cheaper) options than Apple and while earkier releases of Android deserved the title "Dumbdroid" the latest releases are stable and work very well indeed (ICS rel >= 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich -- who thinks BTW of these stupid names !!!).
While the iPhone 5 doesn't bring with it a ton of new revolutionary features, it does improve upon it's prior version. It's got a larger screen, faster everything, thinner, lighter, better on battery, better camera, new smaller reversible dock port...thus features that people really want. We can argue about features like NFC, or wireless charging...but these aren't big on most peoples lists.

As far as cost goes, at $199 they aren't terribly overpriced like many Apple products.

Stupid names go hand in hand with Android. Now we have Jellybean and Project Butter. Honestly, I cannot tell much difference between Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean. Fonts are about the most standout feature as far as I have noticed.

I think that's usually what people say when the iphone has something that the others don't..... "No one really needs those."

But as for the iphone 5, it's........lacking lust. There isn't anything about it that really says to me, "Hey, this is cool, look at me!" It's more like, "Yeah, let's just get this over with." What's worse for apple right now that the whispers over the summer about how apple might be on the decline are starting to turn into a murmur. I literally can't remember a year of an apple release where there was more than one article (unbiased) that claimed the release to be boring. Today, I've read about four. Other pieces are saying that it's not really worth it, the connector is going to be an issue as you have to buy a 30 dollar adapter and you probably may need more than one depending on your usage, a couple say that apple is on the road to become Microsoft from the 2000s, and of course there are the plethora of articles of writers peeing themselves over how cool it is. But this is troubling, I've never seen this happen before. The iphone 4GS obviously had its flack since it was an incremental release, as apple tries to release a worthwhile iphone every two years. It's been two years, and their new iphone 5 isn't a worthwhile phone. Even with a bigger screen, EVERY other higher end android and Windows Phone makes it look like a little skinny baby phone.

Then there is the lack of NFC support. I personally believed that it wouldn't become mainstream unless apple does it, but since they aren't it seems like google and Microsoft will be making headways into this new technology while apple stubbornly scoffs at it. Then there's no wireless charging, which to me makes the Lumia 920 stand out among the rest. Call it a lustful feature if you will. I read today an apple designer basically said that it would confuse users. Really right now?

Sure, it's thinner, it's lighter, got a bit bigger screen, has a bit better processor, has improved battery life. So what? The Samsung GSIII does, the Nokia Lumia 920 does. The iphone is truly going to become the mac line up: stable, relatively unchanged physically, bit better hardware, bit larger and better screen, all to keep a niche user base satisfied. They won't do anything radical, they won't do anything impressive.

This just made me think about Windows, especially vista. When it came out, the previous Longhorn builds made it out to be a gift of GOD Himself. Hurdles happened, and the final product was reviewed as "a warmed over version of Windows Xp with more glitches." Not too great. But the parallel I draw here is the number 6. Six isn't a good number for obvious reasons. vista was number six in the NT lineup of Windows and was the worst Windows release in history. The iphone 5 is physically the sixth release from apple.

Let time tell...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Oh, I forgot one more stand out feature that the iphone does have: super touch sensitive display. Meaning, I will probably buy the Nokia Lumia 920 with its super touch sensitive display this winter as it means I don't have to give up my pair of driving gloves for a pair I will only use for less than a year. Gloves on a touch screen?

AAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:dinesh::party::dinesh::party:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
But as for the iphone 5, it's........lacking lust. There isn't anything about it that really says to me, "Hey, this is cool, look at me!"
Lacking lust...then how do you explain the fact that it will likely sell 10 million in the first few months to people who already own an iPhone? It lacks interest from you, and that's more your issue than a phone issue. You are super excited and stoked about the Windows phone, and personally I feel that it's barely going to get a cursory glance.

What's worse for apple right now that the whispers over the summer about how apple might be on the decline are starting to turn into a murmur. I literally can't remember a year of an apple release where there was more than one article (unbiased) that claimed the release to be boring. Today, I've read about four.
To be fair, you also seem to know of nobody with an Android who is happy, and everybody you have shown Windows 8 to has been blown away by it's complete awesomeness, etc. I on the other hand have found very much the opposite. You want to see Apple decline and Microsoft take over and you see this happening. Personally, I feel that Microsoft has always been on top and for the first time in a long time, they are in decline and in danger of slowing fading out. And they see it too, as they are scrambling to get Windows 8 and this new interface into the market in a reactive response to how well the tablet market has taken off. This take off was not led in any way by Microsoft, but by Apple and Android.

Then there is the lack of NFC support. I personally believed that it wouldn't become mainstream unless apple does it,
I will be honest, up until about 1 month ago, I had no idea what NFC was. I still haven't found anything that I need/want to do which makes me sad that my current Droid 2 doesn't have NFC support.

Then there's no wireless charging, which to me makes the Lumia 920 stand out among the rest. Call it a lustful feature if you will. I read today an apple designer basically said that it would confuse users. Really right now?
Wireless charging could really be a winner. I only charge my Droid 2 overnight and I have a dock that it sits in which stands the phone up and turns it into an alarm clock for me, so my current solution is ideal for my needs, but I could see others who could really benefit from wireless charging.

Sure, it's thinner, it's lighter, got a bit bigger screen, has a bit better processor, has improved battery life. So what? The Samsung GSIII does, the Nokia Lumia 920 does.
Yes, but iPhone users really want to stick with the phone they have which works well for them. They like the layout, how it works, how easy it seems to be for them, and will continue to support the app store they are used to and run the apps they have previously purchased. So, it's not really a factor that other phones can do similar things, they are impressed and satisfied that their phone or choice can now do it as well.

The iphone is truly going to become the mac line up: stable, relatively unchanged physically, bit better hardware, bit larger and better screen, all to keep a niche user base satisfied. They won't do anything radical, they won't do anything impressive.
Well, their niche user base is a SUBSTANTIAL percentage of the market. And they don't need to do anything radical to sell millions upon millions of their devices and be considered the industry standard. Regardless of how you and I feel about the iPhone, it's unquestionable that it's the phone that every other device is compared against.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
For the price they are asking I think I am allowed to scoff at the integration of Facebook into the Os. The only people who are going to get exited are the tons of attention seekers who like to post status updates every five minutes and instigram photos of their food...lolz

The iPhone 5 really isn't very expensive, compared to other similar smartphones, is it? Seems like around $99 is about the entry level area, and $199 is pretty typical for new versions of many phones..I know the Droid Razr was around that price, and the Galaxy SIII is around that price too

I can see your company buys your phone, for it doesn't seem you are familiar with phone pricing or shopping for one. Not to say you haven't. It seems that way. By all means, correct me if I'm wrong. I realize you have to buy your wife's phone, so she, at least, has shopped for one.

Phones, for what they are and what you get, are expensive IMO. I have a friend that developed an invention and a nephew that works for at&t out of the Twin Cities so I somewhat have an idea of what it takes to develop a product from concept to the final working and approved product. I would guess lot of overhead. The initial one to be the greatest, then improving models less. Engineers, writers, designers, lawyers for patents, offices and buildings, etc. Big $bucks$

They may offer a phone for, let's say, $99 ($200 - $300 for higher end). That is, in reality, a down payment. Usually one has to sign a two-year contract along with that price along with other customers paying also, therefore one actually pays full price for it over time, unless buying outright. It's all thrown in collectively as a whole customer base, so one may as well buy an expensive phone, for the one that buys a less expensive phone is helping to pay for the expensive one.

There are standards in the cell phone industry -> New-in-two, low prices (for what they make it seem like a deal), voice-data-text packages, family packages, etc. It can dizzy one's head shopping for a phone because of hardware, software, and carrier options. A lot of factors to consider. Worse than the computer world.

I'm basing this on Vz prices, for that's my carrier and what I can view through my account. One may find better deals elsewhere, if buying outright. A decent smart phone runs on the average of around $400 to $ $600. The iPhone 5 (which Vz just released this morning) and Droid Razr are a little more. The top Droid Razr is $650 if bought outright. Expect to pay $650 to $850 for the iPhones. One can purchase a decent refurbished lappy for that.

As per price increase in price with any model, one is actually paying roughly $100 more per GB of memory each time it doubles. e.g. The lower end iPhone at 16GB of mem is $650, the next at 32GB is $750, the top one at 64GB is $850. Same phones, different mem. Basically the same with all models. I noticed that one cannot increase mem with an added card with iPhones, whereas the Droids one usually can.

My new-in-two is up in January. I'm actually not looking forward to shopping for a new one. In fact I'm dreading it. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I can see your company buys your phone, for it doesn't seem you are familiar with phone pricing or shopping for one. Not to say you haven't. It seems that way. By all means, correct me if I'm wrong. I realize you have to buy your wife's phone, so she, at least, has shopped for one.
Correct, I haven't purchased a personal cell phone in over 12 years. I purchased my wife's iPhone 3GS about 3.5 years ago and did some research back then, but it was her choice to go the iPhone route.

Phones, for what they are and what you get, are expensive IMO.
I agree totally. I'm always astounded by how often consumers "upgrade" their phones. It seems like as soon as they are eligible for an upgrade, they elect to pay for it. Some even upgrade early and just pay a penalty fee. And the fact that these services plans are like $80 a month for voice and data is just a lot of money on a yearly basis.

I'm basing this on Vz prices, for that's my carrier and what I can view through my account. One may find better deals elsewhere, if buying outright. A decent smart phone runs on the average of around $400 to $ $600. The iPhone 5 (which Vz just released this morning) and Droid Razr are a little more. The top Droid Razr is $650 if bought outright. Expect to pay $650 to $850 for the iPhones. One can purchase a decent refurbished lappy for that.
Verizon is my carrier as well. I don't know anybody who is buying the phone outright without the required # of years contract. Most people say they are going to have to have a phone plan anyway, so why not agree to the contract. So, if we assume people are using contracts anyway, the new 16GB iPhone is $199, the Samsung Galaxy IIIs is $199, the LG Driod Incredible is $149, the Droid Rarz Maxx is $199, the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung is $99, the Droid 4 is $99, the Droid Charge is $99. So, I don't really see the iPhone as absurdly expensive compared to the competition.

How many people here on 8 forums buy their cell phones outright without a contract?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I'm considering outright this time depending on my cash flow problem of which we're all born with. My daughter's phone won't be up until fall of next year. I want to buy outright as well in order to get out of the contract trap I feel I'm in. Then I can change carriers at will. Vz has done me right in some ways and not in others.

I just feel trapped and I don't like it. Perhaps I can get deals like we do playing the cable and dish companies against each other? I dunno.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

True.

I'm afraid that all things are newer even the ones not really necessary: power adapter.
Seriously, why do they always make new adapters? (I'm not talking only about Apple but all included).
Usually the connector is the one that changes just to make it incompatible with older devices, or the power output changes as well.
So you pay a bit more and the other 10 older adapters (that you probably have from other devices) become crap. But keep in mind that 5V is 5V no matter what that box looks like.

I know IF you only got the new device... then you need the adapter as well.

It's good that we got good recycle systems but the fact that the copper price will always go up is a reality. It will approach the price of gold one day who knows... Let's say that aluminium goes up as well since they use it for casing... But a copper Mac ("shut up and take my money" situation) will be more expensive after all.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I want to buy outright as well in order to get out of the contract trap I feel I'm in. Then I can change carriers at will. Vz has done me right in some ways and not in others.
While I do think that people often feel trapped by contracts, I think if it comes down to the difference between a phone costing $199 or $499...people are almost always just going to opt for the contract....as they aren't going to forsee not having a phone over the course of the contract. So, the cons of paying more will outweight the benefits of not being trapped.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I want to buy outright as well in order to get out of the contract trap I feel I'm in. Then I can change carriers at will. Vz has done me right in some ways and not in others.
While I do think that people often feel trapped by contracts, I think if it comes down to the difference between a phone costing $199 or $499...people are almost always just going to opt for the contract....as they aren't going to forsee not having a phone over the course of the contract. So, the cons of paying more will outweight the benefits of not being trapped.

I hear you, but I think it's all based on the average cost of all phones then they charge you up front for the difference. I was in the shopping part of the account, not the upgrade option to see what I would have to put down on a Razr or iPhone. I'll bet it'll be $300, though.

The trap I feel I'm in is that my phone and my daughter's phone cycle in different years, therefore I renew the contract every year. It's not seperate contracts, for it's one account. Get my drift. They also try and sneek in a different data and text package since some old ones are abandoned since last contract. I have unlimited text for that's what my daughter uses the most as a teen. When I got her last upgrade, she texted like 1,500 text in that month of which they tried to charge me. I didn't realize they changed the package. I got on the horn right away with to tell them that I didn't authorize any package change. "Well, Sir, blah baa blah..." I told them if they didn't keep it the same, I'd go elsewhere -> violating the contract -> without paying anything any further. I realize that would be a strike against my credit. I bluffed -> I won! They kept it the same. :)

For the most part cell phones and service are getting quite expensive, but what isn't. I know smart phones are a luxury, but it's getting out of hand. Of course, over all, inflation has been eating us alive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
But as for the iphone 5, it's........lacking lust. There isn't anything about it that really says to me, "Hey, this is cool, look at me!"
Lacking lust...then how do you explain the fact that it will likely sell 10 million in the first few months to people who already own an iPhone? It lacks interest from you, and that's more your issue than a phone issue. You are super excited and stoked about the Windows phone, and personally I feel that it's barely going to get a cursory glance.

What's worse for apple right now that the whispers over the summer about how apple might be on the decline are starting to turn into a murmur. I literally can't remember a year of an apple release where there was more than one article (unbiased) that claimed the release to be boring. Today, I've read about four.
To be fair, you also seem to know of nobody with an Android who is happy, and everybody you have shown Windows 8 to has been blown away by it's complete awesomeness, etc. I on the other hand have found very much the opposite. You want to see Apple decline and Microsoft take over and you see this happening. Personally, I feel that Microsoft has always been on top and for the first time in a long time, they are in decline and in danger of slowing fading out. And they see it too, as they are scrambling to get Windows 8 and this new interface into the market in a reactive response to how well the tablet market has taken off. This take off was not led in any way by Microsoft, but by Apple and Android.

I will be honest, up until about 1 month ago, I had no idea what NFC was. I still haven't found anything that I need/want to do which makes me sad that my current Droid 2 doesn't have NFC support.

Wireless charging could really be a winner. I only charge my Droid 2 overnight and I have a dock that it sits in which stands the phone up and turns it into an alarm clock for me, so my current solution is ideal for my needs, but I could see others who could really benefit from wireless charging.

Sure, it's thinner, it's lighter, got a bit bigger screen, has a bit better processor, has improved battery life. So what? The Samsung GSIII does, the Nokia Lumia 920 does.
Yes, but iPhone users really want to stick with the phone they have which works well for them. They like the layout, how it works, how easy it seems to be for them, and will continue to support the app store they are used to and run the apps they have previously purchased. So, it's not really a factor that other phones can do similar things, they are impressed and satisfied that their phone or choice can now do it as well.

The iphone is truly going to become the mac line up: stable, relatively unchanged physically, bit better hardware, bit larger and better screen, all to keep a niche user base satisfied. They won't do anything radical, they won't do anything impressive.
Well, their niche user base is a SUBSTANTIAL percentage of the market. And they don't need to do anything radical to sell millions upon millions of their devices and be considered the industry standard. Regardless of how you and I feel about the iPhone, it's unquestionable that it's the phone that every other device is compared against.
It's quite obvious that an existing iphone user will go to the new one. Now, will all? Maybe, maybe not. Some are actually criticizing the new iphone, some might abondon ship altogether. I think it's lackluster from an unbiased perspective. There wasn't anything I thought was neat, heck I thought their new ipods were cooler! apple just checkmarked the items they needed to release a new phone, and not much else. There wasn't that, "Oh wait, one last thing" moment. Having an extra row of icons isn't that. In fact, it's just a checkmark off the needed list as android and Windows Phone both have that. I do believe 2012 will be the year of Windows Phone and that's just the start.

And yes, I do want to see apple on the decline, so sick of i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, devices left and right, completely destroys grammatics. I believe Microsoft has been on the decline recently. You can be world's largest company, but the most boring at the same time. I do believe you posted an article elsewhere that said that the iphone is larger than Microsoft combined. Just one phone. Microsoft on the other hand didn't do anything too risky until years recent. They just released iterative updates and not anything extraordinary. Windows is on top of course and 7 was the most fastest selling OS every, but they missed out on tablet computing when they already tried. They missed out on the smartphone market and only got into both late. When a company that is so large becomes the company that isn't "cool" anymore, that's a decline. And also, their stock price over the decade kind of shows an apparent decline versus apple.

See, that's something apple could have done with NFC. Not many people have heard of it, but the technology could had been implemented into the iphone and apple could had led the way on NFC based technology. Nope. Instead, they're letting heir competitors do it. They don't believe in it, much like how Microsoft scoffed at the concept of the iphone years ago. I'm more excited at how it can change the way things are paid for, the fact I wouldn't need to use a UI to connect to a speaker, and use it for info sharing without texting. There are multiple possibilities for NFC, we'll just have to see what Microsoft and google push out.

Oh, so iphone users don't stick with their phone because it's trendy? :) Granted yes, the new iphone will still sell, but I see it's at the climax of their success. If they release a new iphone next year that only has software improvements like the 4s did with built in Siri, you might find more and more people considering other options. Now, two years from now if apple releases an iphone that isn't significantly better, or just another checking off the list of needed features type of device, you might find more and more people switching to the latest and best platform, whether that be android or Windows Phone will yet to be seen.

Speaking of comparisons, the Nokia Lumia 920 is being used to compare against the new iphone. Overall, many comparisons find the Lumia a winner. Some deranged say the Lumia is too fat or too thick and that is a deciding factor that the iphone wins. Meh. No one wants to date an anerexic model.... ;) Even with the Samsung GSIII, it still wins over the iphone. I don't know if the iphone can really be used to compare anymore. It doesn't seem like the higher end so much. It's like driving a luxury car with no options.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

I hear you, but I think it's all based on the average cost of all phones then they charge you up front for the difference. I was in the shopping part of the account, not the upgrade option to see what I would have to put down on a Razr or iPhone. I'll bet it'll be $300, though.

The trap I feel I'm in is that my phone and my daughter's phone cycle in different years, therefore I renew the contract every year. It's not seperate contracts, for it's one account. Get my drift. They also try and sneek in a different data and text package since some old ones are abandoned since last contract. I have unlimited text for that's what my daughter uses the most as a teen. When I got her last upgrade, she texted like 1,500 text in that month of which they tried to charge me. I didn't realize they changed the package. I got on the horn right away with to tell them that I didn't authorize any package change. "Well, Sir, blah baa blah..." I told them if they didn't keep it the same, I'd go elsewhere -> violating the contract -> without paying anything any further. I realize that would be a strike against my credit. I bluffed -> I won! They kept it the same. :)

For the most part cell phones and service are getting quite expensive, but what isn't. I know smart phones are a luxury, but it's getting out of hand. Of course, over all, inflation has been eating us alive.

It absolutely sucks to hear in Europe, their main upfront cost is the phone unsubsidized, and they can switch carriers in a whim as the phones are usually unlocked. And they usually don't sign contracts as the service seems to be on a pay as you go platform, even for the latest smartphones! I so upset to see the Nokia Lumia 800 available in Britain at literally such a low cost per month, I think it was roughly 40 or so US dollars!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hi there
Belgium etc does not allow locking of phones - nor should any body else --that said it's usually easy to get the unlock codes anyway - they are available all over the Internet..

I read in this thread that a lot of people think Android is useless -- well ICS (4.0 and above) seems to work just fine on my Samsung Galaxy IIIs and ease of use and the screen etc just blows the iPhone away these days. People who think about phones "seizing up" are usually running a very back level version of Android (say 2.0 or whatever) or have downloaded some totally rubbish apps that aren't in any way fit for purpose.

Most companies that make money are by nature "Boring" -- Shell, IBM, "Accidenture" (Accenture) etc etc. Ms isn't in decline at all either. It's got a huge corporate revenue stream that isn't going away any time soon. -- I don't see wholesale defections in the corporate world from Ms to Apple either.

Apple supplies primarily consumers who are a fickle bunch -- Apple could in theory vanish overnight -- Ms would take a bit longer to "exterminate itself" as businesses aren't quite so quick to change suppliers etc -- and there is usually a horrendous cost of doing so.

A user can easily say -- OK Ms I've had enough, go out and buy an Apple computer -- businesses can't and don't purchase kit or services like that.

I'd still feel my money was safer for the moment with Ms at around 30 USD a share than with apple at around 694 USD a share.

(However if you trade markets follow your own instinct -- W8 Forum isn't an investors Forum so don't just follow what I feel on this one).

Actually the new Iphone even for Iphone users surely is a teeny weeny disappointment -- nothing stunning unlike the Samsung phones.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Honestly, gun to my head, I'd pick a Samsung GSIII over an iphone 5. It's not just because it's an apple product, but the Samsung phones have more hardware features the iphone lacks. More bang for buck. And it seems like android 4 will be a formidable competitor to Windows Phone as you can't use an iphone to compare the two anymore.

But as for Microsoft, they were in decline. They lost their image. They lost their innovation in deference to maturity. The new refresh of Microsoft is making them look like the new cool kids on the block that have wireless charging capabilities while apple finds that would be too confusing. I don't think they're on the decline now. They were, but they have no where to go but up. Everything is falling into place. I'm personally going to invest in Microsoft as thus is huge potential versus apple's stock that might be tittering on the brink.

apple users are a tedious bunch. And the iphone isn't as stunning or stand out as a yellow Nokia Lumia 920 that has an uber camera and a touchscreen that can be used with gloves! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I also go with Samsung. It's just a personal choice. No need for extra notes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I am a current iPhone 4 user and iOS is getting very boring. I'm just looking for something new and the Lumia 920 or Ativ S could be the perfect fit. That or an S3 but the TouchWiz UI ruins a great OS I think.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z68 D3H-B3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 Sniper
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 560Ti ES
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    640GB Western Digital
    PSU
    Antec 620w
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 5
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212+
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
Honestly, gun to my head, I'd pick a Samsung GSIII over an iphone 5. It's not just because it's an apple product, but the Samsung phones have more hardware features the iphone lacks. More bang for buck. And it seems like android 4 will be a formidable competitor to Windows Phone as you can't use an iphone to compare the two anymore.

But as for Microsoft, they were in decline. They lost their image. They lost their innovation in deference to maturity. The new refresh of Microsoft is making them look like the new cool kids on the block that have wireless charging capabilities while apple finds that would be too confusing. I don't think they're on the decline now. They were, but they have no where to go but up. Everything is falling into place. I'm personally going to invest in Microsoft as thus is huge potential versus apple's stock that might be tittering on the brink.

apple users are a tedious bunch. And the iphone isn't as stunning or stand out as a yellow Nokia Lumia 920 that has an uber camera and a touchscreen that can be used with gloves! :D

Hi Coke robot

you seem to be totally confused on this one about Android

One the one hand you say nobody likes it yet there are LOADS of posts saying Android is improving by leaps and bounds and the latest releases are very stable.

Now in your last post you are saying Android will be a serious competitor.

Same thing about Ms Stock -- you previously say it's going nowhere -- maybe it won't -- it's 52 week high was 32 and it's currently trading at 31.2 so maybe it won't move - but you now say above you'll invest money in it.

People like and dislike different things true but at times you appear to have totally forgotten what you wrote a few posts previously and then say the exact opposite.

Just follow this thread again - and note your comments on Ms and Android. !!!!

Most people I've shown my Samsung to who have an Iphone often say they wish they had the Samsung ( although to be fair the Samsung wasn't available at the time they got their iPhones.).

Some say they will switch next time they want to get a new phone too.

I think if Nokia get the screen real estate correct on their next (Windows 8 Phone) it could also be a winner - but they've got a bit of an "image" problem as being " a bit stale and too corporate looking" however great the new phones are to look at.

Apple only has one "advantage" if you can call it that -- it's hard to get apps on the phone that cause it to crash. With Android phones you can virtually download anything -- and some apps I've seen out there aren't even fit for the garbage can -- so it's the users who need to take more responsibility for what they download.

As I said before -- Apple in the not too distant future will be in a far worse shape than Ms unless it can come out with stunning new products - and without Steve Jobs it's difficult to see where the innovation is going to come from.

Ms can also trundle on just fine with "boring products" like server software and services etc -- these bring in money too.

Apple TV if it ever moves out of the status of "Vaporware" is now too late to make any sort of impact --there is enough streamed video / tv content already if you want it - and despite FBI etc there's still 10 zillion and one "unofficial sources" still working just fine (including the infamous TPB which seems to have more users than ever despite 2/3rds of the planet's Law Enforcement agencies trying to eliminate it).

As I said in my very first post I don't think the Iphone5 is actually going anywhere

Not enough "glitz" etc to make current Iphone4 users want to switch immediately and certainly not enough to persuade "Floating Voters" to buy it over the much cheaper Samsung Galaxy IIIs (or even the new larger screen HTC).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB