Interesting debate between Ed Bott and S.J.V. Nichols

I still go with my original postition. I still don't want my PC screen to look like someone's cell phone. and the green color is horrid.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult X64 SP1
    System Manufacturer/Model
    H.A.L. 2000
    CPU
    i5-2550K @ 4.4GHz, today
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Memory
    16GB GSkill Sniper 2133 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce 650Ti Boost
    Sound Card
    Realtech onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung P2570HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 PRO OS, Seagate Constellation 500GB, Users
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Inwin Dragon Rider
    Cooling
    120mm X4 case fans 3 intake, 1 exhaust , 120mm X2 CPU cooler fan
    Keyboard
    some old Dell I found
    Mouse
    steelseries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    50Mbs/11Mbs
    Browser
    IE11, Pale Moon, Opera
    Antivirus
    NIS 2013
    Other Info
    LG BluRay BD/RE, DVD/RW, front panel w/USB, eSATA, Audio, multi-card reader, Mr Fusion generator
You can change the background picture and color.

See Shawn's tut: Start and Logon Metro Screen - Change Background Color and Image

You can change the icons to any ones you will need or use, think of it as a gadget and frequently used program icon page.
I tend to stay on the conventional desktop mostly but, I'm finding uses for the Metro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Lebon14, I disagree. I don't think that Windows 8 is directed at businesses. Before Win 7, most businesses were scraping by on XP. XP met all of their needs and there was no reason to upgrade to Vista. Once Win 7 came out and proved itself to be a really good, stable platform, businesses started making the switch-over to it--to the point where there are more Win 7 machines than XP machines now.

It is unlikely that businesses would move to Win 8 after having gone to the expense of changing over to Win 7. I suspect that most businesses will give Windows 8 a pass and wait for the next evolution, so your concern over businesses and big enterprises ignoring Win 8 is moot.

For any businesses that might decide to go with Win 8, there won't be any need to rewrite programs which work on Win 7, because they will also work on 8.

As for touchscreens, there are a number of them available in flat-screen LCD monitors and with the introduction of a large scale operating system like Win 8, there will be a growing number and they will get cheaper and cheaper as sales rise.

Just my opinion. Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
    self made
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 AM3 955 BE
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99 EVO
    Memory
    4 X 4 GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 X EVGA GTX 460
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SMS27A350H 27"; LG L227W 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080; 1680 X 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500MB Western Digital black
    2 X 1 TB Western Digital green
    2 X 2 TB Western Digital green
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 750
    Case
    Coolmaster Storm Scout
    Cooling
    CPU-Xigmatec S1283; Case-2 X 120, 2 X 140
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Sidewinder X6
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless wheel
    Internet Speed
    20M down, 5M up
Catswold, Although we do not yet have the full story, I think you might be right. There is nothing yet I see in 8 that would make a business go thru the expense of switching and reeducating all their people. 8 will probably end up to be one of those interim systems like ME and Vista, But it is still fun for the enthusiast. On mobile devices, the story is probably different.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Lebon14, I disagree. I don't think that Windows 8 is directed at businesses. Before Win 7, most businesses were scraping by on XP. XP met all of their needs and there was no reason to upgrade to Vista. Once Win 7 came out and proved itself to be a really good, stable platform, businesses started making the switch-over to it--to the point where there are more Win 7 machines than XP machines now.

It is unlikely that businesses would move to Win 8 after having gone to the expense of changing over to Win 7. I suspect that most businesses will give Windows 8 a pass and wait for the next evolution, so your concern over businesses and big enterprises ignoring Win 8 is moot.

For any businesses that might decide to go with Win 8, there won't be any need to rewrite programs which work on Win 7, because they will also work on 8.

As for touchscreens, there are a number of them available in flat-screen LCD monitors and with the introduction of a large scale operating system like Win 8, there will be a growing number and they will get cheaper and cheaper as sales rise.

Just my opinion. Cheers

I disagree. In my company I work for once the software we use is supported in a new OS we switch over to it. Many software providers will not support what they call a legacy OS for tech support. So if we have a issue say with running the program on Windows 7 and 8 is now supported they will not give any tech support. Bear in mind we use high end engineering programs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge @5.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155
    Memory
    2 x Corsair Dominator 2GB DDR3 @1866 (Old DDR3 1600 Sticks, plan to upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4850 (I know it's old, plan to upgrade, taking donations)
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC889
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony Bravia KDL-32EX500
    Screen Resolution
    1980x1080P
    Hard Drives
    1 x Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK Windows
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Black Sata III 750GB (Raid 0)Programs
    1 x Western Digital Caviar Black Sata III 1TB - Media
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Black Sata II 640GB (Raid 0) Mac OS X
    PSU
    Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
    Case
    Corsair 800D
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    HP Wireless Elite Keyboard
    Mouse
    HP Wireless Elite Mouse
    Internet Speed
    DSL, VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card and Internaly Installed Linksys WUSB600N
    Other Info
    4 x GELID Solutions FN-TX12-15 120mm Case Fan with Superior Temperature Control
    1 x Corsair 140mm Case Fan
    1 x SilverStone FP55B Aluminum front panel 5.25" to a 3.5" bay converter
    1 x Ultra Card Reader
    1 x Sony Blu-ray Burner BD-5300S-0B
    1 x 2GB Internaly Installed Flash Drive For Mac OS X Boot
    1 x Internal USB 3.0 Header to 2 USB 3.0 Female Adaptor
    1 x ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner

Just my opinion. Cheers

I disagree. In my company I work for once the software we use is supported in a new OS we switch over to it. Many software providers will not support what they call a legacy OS for tech support. So if we have a issue say with running the program on Windows 7 and 8 is now supported they will not give any tech support. Bear in mind we use high end engineering programs.
I think a lot depends on the type of company you work for. If your work is on the cutting edge of technology, then you are probably correct, but if you work for a large corporation, they simply cannot afford to switch OSes with every evolutionary step. Remember that Win 7 is actually Win 6.1 and Win 8 will be Win 6.2 (Vista was Win 6.0) so backwards compatibility is there for virtually all programs. Also remember that we are still only on Win 7 SP1 and SP2 probably won't be released for another 6-9 months--about the same time as Win 8.

There will be very little advantage in switching from 7 to 8 for most conventional users. Without the "touch" features, Win 8 will probably be less efficient than Win 7. It appears that--at least for the pre-release version--Win 8 is handicapped for conventional keyboard/mouse users.

I have installed and used every Windows version produced since Windows 3.0--yes, including even Windows ME (what can I say, I'm a junkie)--but I am not certain I will go with Win 8. I will try it out, but until I can afford to buy large format touch screen monitors, it appears not to be worth moving.

Most corporations will not be willing to make that level of hardware change without substantial motivation--such as revolutionary software pertinent to their industry.

I hope the hardware folks get up to speed quickly with touch screen monitors cause I love them--I first used one on an old Honeywell plant operations control system back in 2002 :D.

As always, it will be fun to watch how the system deployment evolves over the next couple of years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
    self made
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 AM3 955 BE
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99 EVO
    Memory
    4 X 4 GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 X EVGA GTX 460
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SMS27A350H 27"; LG L227W 22"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080; 1680 X 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500MB Western Digital black
    2 X 1 TB Western Digital green
    2 X 2 TB Western Digital green
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 750
    Case
    Coolmaster Storm Scout
    Cooling
    CPU-Xigmatec S1283; Case-2 X 120, 2 X 140
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Sidewinder X6
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless wheel
    Internet Speed
    20M down, 5M up
Windows 7 cheaper? Uhh Windows is not sold like a car it doesn't get cheaper when a new version comes out. The old version is no longer sold.

Wrong. It's called supply and demand. You can buy Vista and XP for less than 7. You can still buy Windows 95. You can buy 3.1.

Catswold is correct about not just the software change for businesses but the hardware. 8 is not for them, it's for consumers. MS has been saying this themselves. My wife works for a very large company. They're still on XP and Office 2003 because the cost to change everyone over then train them is staggering. If you're a nimble, small business you could make an OS change much easier.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Wrong. It's called supply and demand. You can buy Vista and XP for less than 7. You can still buy Windows 95. You can buy 3.1.

Colonel...I'm sure you are smarter then this. Business buy their operating systems in bulk. Volume Licensing. Not old unsold warehouse retail boxes. Or pre-owned sold by owner deals.

Gee, you mean Windows 95 might not be the best way to go for a company the size of Wal-Mart? The reason I listed those is because I can't send you a link with volume prices because such a link doesn't exist. Businesses negotiate with MS and the variables determining cost are infinite. Buying downgrade rights, for example, can definitely be the cheaper route for some. No way businesses are gonna flock to 8, MS will have options for them for a long time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790