Installation Experience / The Big Picture

In doing so they have abandoned the people who make them their big money the corporations, businesses and professionals who need a real PC with a real OS not a mobile phone interface.
I am a professional. Instead of feeling I have been abandoned by Microsoft I am very grateful for them for making an OS for me to use that really serves me well.

I always have one laptop where I have everything I need for my work, tools, applications, manuals and everything else I need for installation, deployment, diagnostics and planning.

Windows 8 Pro with Hyper-V enabled is everything I need. I have the revamped Start "menu" which instead of showing me a list of my programs and folders offers me a highly customizable flexible new Start "menu", which I can organize as I wish. To make it even better I use freeware OblyTile to make tiles look and feel exactly as I like. My laptop has no touch screen but I would not use it anyway, multibutton programmable mouse with a working wheel makes use of Start easy and efficient.

Not to mention Windows To Go, a totally working and fast Windows 8 Enterprise on a USB3 stick which allows me to take the Windows with me in my trouser pocket and use it whenever I do not have my laptop with me. Just plug the stick on any computer, select Boot from USB and I am ready to go. With my own working environment.

I come from the Unix and later Linux world. Early pre-releases of Seven took me back to Windows camp, Eight confirmed it: I will stay. Windows 8 is a reliable, fast and flexible OS to suit my private and work needs and serve me.

Thank you Microsoft.

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
@ znod

I think both MS and Apple are moving in the direction you think

They are all moving in this direction. I'm surprised this hasn't come sooner with the advent of the Internet. It still remains a fact that one does not need a data connection at all to run 8 except to perhaps find drivers. But, if one has a data connection, has a browser, and/or an email account, one is using the cloud in some form. I'm using the cloud as soon as I push Alt/S to post this.
--------------------------------
Yes, being in cyberspace is "unavoidable" for most. But, the issue is how much unwanted "stuff" do you want to expose yourself to and how much control are you willing to tolerate. My answers to both are "a very, very small amount."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's