Increase to OneDrive storage plans announced

OneDrive is free online storage I rely on every day to access all my photos, videos, Office documents, and other files anytime I want on any of my Windows devices. It’s built into Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. I use OneDrive to help protect my files if something happens to any of my devices. For example, on my Windows Phone my camera roll automatically saves any photos I take to OneDrive. And I also use OneDrive to collaborate with others. My fiancée and I have a shared OneNote notebook where we collaborate on wedding stuff.

Today, the OneDrive Team has announced increases to their OneDrive storage plans. OneDrive will now come with 15GB of free online storage - up from 7GB previously. For OneDrive’s paid plans if you need additional online storage, they are dropping storage prices by over 70%. And finally, all Office 365 subscriptions will come with 1TB of online storage. For all the details on the changes to OneDrive’s storage plans – see this blog post from Omar Shahine on the OneDrive Blog.

For more on how to get started with OneDrive in Windows 8.1, click here to get all the details you need to know.

aggbug.aspx

More...

Hi there

These online storage systems are really too ridiculously small to store anything sensible -- 7GB or even 15GB IMO is a total waste of time and space - especially as an 8GB USB stick can be had for just a few cents these days !!!.

My OS is approx. 55GB -- to back that up daily on even fast broadband upload speeds would take quite a long time - downloading it again to repair say a dead computer would take more than a few minutes.

Dropbox is fine for limited data but if I need to send something to somebody - just break it up into several sections and email it. Compression algorithms are quite good these days. Dropbox is much easier also to retrieve specific folders / files too.

(Another good reason for emailing -- if places like the UK and US are making laws that email data has to be kept for up to 2 years - then lets totally OVERLOAD all the "Snooper servers" with totally innocuous stuff that they'll have to buy several PB (Petabytes) of Disk space EVERY WEEK to store all this rubbish on.!! and then we can SUE them when they've LOST something.)

A small 2TB portable disk doesn't cost the earth these days -- why bother with ONLINE storage -- where YOU have NO control over where the servers are or even who can acess them. There is obviously access to check that pirated / copyrighted material isn't stored on them --they could be shut down like megaupload was.

Finally as to the servers being placed in locations totally unknown to you -- well would you be happy if these servers were in CHINA, N.KOREA or IRAN as they could theoretically be -- cheap labour. Corporations only have ONE loyalty -- MONEY so they don't care where the hardware is located if they can get the cheapest service. (If this wasn't true just ask a load of redundant US and European I.T workers whose jobs have massively gone off shore to India, the Philippines and Viet nam).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Should be going up from 7 to 15 soon, but I cant see me ever using the 1.1 TB I have available

I just use the space for documents and photos

Occasionally I have had a use to email a document when not at home, just picking it up straight from onedrive on my phone and sending it was very handy

I will probably use Onedrive more now as it works very well with my MS/Android devices, but I doubt I will use over 1 GB in the near future, never mind 1 TB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
Just noticed this morning I now have the 1 TB free for being an Office 365 subscriber

Free amount is still at 7 GB and not the new 15 GB though

Looks like things are rolling out now
Just checked mine and it shows also, ummm, what shall I do with it? :what:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
Back