Solved Ignore and shut off Windows 8.1 updates...

Concerning Windows Updates, presently I've been letting the updates sit on the server and age. Eventually, I get around to applying the updates, 2-4 at a time; reboot & test, a few more, reboot & test -- finally all caught up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
I install all of the updates. I am a Windows fan boy, and I have not had a problem with any updates. Of course I am a newbie to this whole thing, but I really think that you missed a great OS when you skipped Windows 7. It is still for sale and it is a very nice OS. Right now I am on 8.1 and I love it. Nor problems here.

Thanks Rocky...for your optimism....however as you can tell, I am not so optimistic, at least so far with 8.1. Everyone uses their PC differently and in doing such I beleive all have difference that PC's respond. I do believe Windows patches benefit or they would not issue them.....I am a mild user...I think..I browes, check weather and news, (yahoo)...(GoogleEarth), streaming on-line radio etc... XP gave me all that...However XP required maitainance...(cleaning) ...my girlfriend could never understand how to do....I didn't choose 8.1, it is what is available only as a replacement to XP...today.....except going over to MAC.....as I might do...but I know less about MAC than I do Windows..........All in all, I think Windows has become for me a window of dodging their next blow including major file loss risks, major performance issues.....issued with every up-date.......at least with XP, I could fix....not so with 8.1......and god only knows what's next...with 10!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
'The Three Stooges' rode in 1920's cars with 'patched tires'..............Whenever a bicycle tire innertube BLEW out....the inner tube was 'patched'.......When Apollo 13 failed in flight to the moon, NASA 'patched' it's return to earth!.........In 2015, "WINDOWS patches" save WINDOWS their latest (OS) Operating Sytem!.......Are MAC's the better way to go?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
MACs can inintially take a BITE out of your wallet; however, I heard many many good things about the MAC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit [MS blue-disk set]
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    2 Acers & 1 Antec[?]
    CPU
    i7 in 2 Acers, i5 in desktop
    Motherboard
    Desktop w/Gigabyte
    Memory
    Two w/16GB, 1 w/8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Laptops GameWorthy; Desktop maybe GameWorthy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    flatscreens; 2 are BluRay worthy
    Screen Resolution
    1368x768; 1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1TB internals; 2 ext usb WD 1TB HDs
    PSU
    what's PSU?
    Cooling
    Regular plus external fans
    Keyboard
    desktio w/PS2
    Mouse
    desktop w/PS2
    Internet Speed
    DSL middle level [160?]
    Browser
    from Netscape 0.9 to FF 36
    Antivirus
    well-balanced, well-configured mult-layered defense is best
    Other Info
    From MS-DOS 3.3, MS-DOS 6.22, from Windows 3.1 to WFW 3.11 to Windows 95-98SE, now to Windows 7 Pro.
    Security for now: Windows 7 Firewall, Emsisoft AM, MSE [scan-only], SpywareBlaster, Ruiware/BillP combine
I install all of the updates. I am a Windows fan boy, and I have not had a problem with any updates. Of course I am a newbie to this whole thing, but I really think that you missed a great OS when you skipped Windows 7. It is still for sale and it is a very nice OS. Right now I am on 8.1 and I love it. Nor problems here.

My situation is similar to yours, Rocky, in that my pc which had Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 8/8.1. has been fine with Windows Updates.

However, another desktop which was purchased with Windows 8, and upgraded to Windows 8.1 has had some problems with some Windows Updates. I've learned on that pc to wait a few days before installing new updates, just to be safe.

But, I am a fan of Windows too and install all the updates also, like you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion p6230f
    CPU
    HP AMD Phenom II X4 810
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN ALOE
    Memory
    8 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 42
    Sound Card
    ATI/AMD SB600 - High
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SE198WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3750528AS
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
American brainwashed.....do NOT turn on Windows updates....turn that off....do not...whatever you do...install any Windows update! You will understand why weeks later!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
American brainwashed.....do NOT turn on Windows updates....turn that off....do not...whatever you do...install any Windows update! You will understand why weeks later!

Sounds a little extreme to me. Some of the updates are for security, some to help your pc run more efficiently, some do not apply to a specific pc, and some ARE problems, but to ignore or not install ALL updates somehow doesn't sound right to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion p6230f
    CPU
    HP AMD Phenom II X4 810
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN ALOE
    Memory
    8 GBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 42
    Sound Card
    ATI/AMD SB600 - High
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SE198WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST3750528AS
    Browser
    IE 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo E525
    CPU
    AMD A4-3300M @ 2,0GHz
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6480G 512MB shared
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    WD 465GB
    Cooling
    Fusion Tweaker
    Keyboard
    Logitech K360
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    50/50 MBps
    Browser
    Yandex
    Antivirus
    No AV & No Firewall
    Other Info
    Headphones: Sennheiser RS170
I have been on-line since Windows 95...I'm 60 years old... I followed as everyone then into computers (not everyone was at that time) onto the new Windows 98...then there was 2000 and variations ..but then XP arrived. It was the best thing to happen for the new Internet.... (remember all of this was brand new) for me..this was by far a better experience into the new world of 'internet'.......Windows had a STAR in XP....it worked for the world........ Windows made profits as a result never recorded on planet! Unfortunatelly....Windows announced it's end of support for XP in 2013...... Vista, 7, I had read were awful OS systems and not to go there. I waited out....keeping my XP up to date...including SP-2...then SP-3...then onto cancillation in April 2014..........

In August 2014, I bought the latest Windows OS, Windows 8.1.....I had no choice....I had no complaints before with XP..but the support had ended...and so it was time for me to move on into the future......XP was a bit of work keeping it up and running...but I could always find a way to keep it current and fast......Not so I have found in Windows 8.1

Since I have been on Windows 8.1......The best thing I have found.....is to NOT....I repeat...NOT turn on Windows Update....

Everytime I allowed updates...some major problem has occured....This happened with XP too, but I was able to find resolutions.....not so with 8.1.........8.1 in my opinion was designed for dummies...and not the mechanic of XP.....Problem after problem after updates.

I have had several deeper problems with 8.1.......I have had to reset (Used to be called system recover) losing all data....

February 12, 2015.........RESET PC....ALLOW NO WINDOWS --Up-Dates---see what happens!

March 21, 2015........Fastest computer I have owned to date.........

I have looked on the world web....nobody has ever entered anything with regurd to "NOT UPDATING" 8.1

I'd really like to understand updates better.....everybody seems to be hypnotised by Windows that updates are mandatory...or nessesary...but my observation is 180 degrees different!

May i ask a question ?...........Did you ever come here to ask about the problems that were having from the updates you did, since you are here now saying you had issues and saying not to do updates because of them ? With me i would only take ones marked critical or important, not optional until i at least read the support info (microsoft knowledge base).

I have been using a PC since Windows 3.1. All i am saying is we could of helped you here. I have had issues with Windows 8.1 and always worked through them just like any other OS version since 3.1, but i would not always put the blame on an update or patch, not saying it is not possible with some. Windows XP was good, to some Windows 7 was last best OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
Yes he did and for the record there are problems with Windows updates more often then in the past and about once a year there is a serious issue, like a computer is unable to boot and so on. It is actually prudent to wait about a week before installing the newest updates, until no one reports any serious conflicts.

Just one quickly found example: Brazilian users unable to boot Windows after botched update

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo E525
    CPU
    AMD A4-3300M @ 2,0GHz
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6480G 512MB shared
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    WD 465GB
    Cooling
    Fusion Tweaker
    Keyboard
    Logitech K360
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    50/50 MBps
    Browser
    Yandex
    Antivirus
    No AV & No Firewall
    Other Info
    Headphones: Sennheiser RS170
Did not say it was not possible to have issues with them, but not all as i said. Once a year, very low percentage wouldn't you think .
Be best to research them before installing updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHZ 64 bit 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
    Memory
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel DDR4-2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ DDR5 4GB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA24Q 24" Pro Art IPS LCD/LED Backlit 1920x1200
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200 16:10
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD,
    WD WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 Internal HDD
    PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
    Case
    AZZA Cosmas Black Gaming Case
    Cooling
    Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo Dual 120mm, ( 2) Noctua PWM 120mm Case Fans (1) Gelid PWM 120mm Blue LED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800 Illumiated Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Internet Speed
    84mbps /94mbps
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 41.0.1 / Microsoft Edge/ IE 11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security 2015
    Other Info
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x Blu-Ray Burner, LG 24x Dual Layer DVD Burner,
    StarTech Front Bay 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Multi Media Memory Card Reader,Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker system
Back