If the Windows 8 Consumer Preview is ‘Feature Complete’....

If the Windows 8 Consumer Preview is ‘Feature Complete’ Where are the Missing Features?

When Microsoft released the Windows 8 Consumer preview recently they described it as “feature complete”, which came as no surprise to anyone. The Windows 7 beta was also feature complete and indeed “feature locked”. Between the release of the beta in January 2009 and the final product that October absolutely nothing changed.

This won’t be the same for Windows 8 however where several features within the operating system are either unfinished or simply missing completely. One indication that this might happen was shortly after the Developer Preview was released which was missing Windows Media Centre, a perhaps little used feature that’s crucially important to those people, including myself, who do actually use it. I for instance have had a Media Centre PC as my main means of receiving and recording live TV in my living room since 2003.

If the Windows 8 Consumer Preview is 'Feature Complete' Where are the Missing Features?

I didn't notice any crashes.

My only problem with the OS operation (not the GUI) was that it couldn't install my sound driver correctly.
Something XP, W7 and W8 DP had no difficulties with.

Despite what the article may imply I can say for certain that this Op system is way more stable than Windows 7 ever was. After two weeks of testing I haven't had a single lock up or crash. Windows 7 would have had at least a couple in this time frame.

As for the driver problems, I had the same problems with Windows 7 and sound drivers, there were two rogue driver files which I had to turn off in task manager at start up to fix the sound problem. Also my G15 keyboard caused the mouse pointer to freeze up in the corners. Just changing to a different keyboard fixed that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
cp is far from being stable.
today got core service crashing, right when "system maintenance" started (default scheduled task)
reboot solved this problem, but anyway - sometimes something strange happen.

also - have a look at system log, continuous errors in so many modules.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro + MCP
    DIY
    CPU
    core i7 3770K @ 4.8GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix Elite 4x4GB 1866CL9
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel HD4000/integrated
    Sound Card
    7.1/integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" IPS Calibrated
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    OCz Vertex3 60GB SSD
    WD Scorpio Blue 500GB
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB
    Seagate Momentus 160GB
    Hitachi TravelStar 160GB
    PSU
    OCz ModXStream
    Case
    modded CM Cosmos S
    Cooling
    DIY watercool
    Keyboard
    Roccat ISKU, Razer Nostromo
    Mouse
    Razer Orochi
    Other Info
    I build, tune, mod and overclock.
    Want a really cool rig? I can do it for any budget!
Windows 8 on my one machine is exactly as stable as all 6 of the Windows 7 machines I admin. They are all perfect. No bsods or lockups since early 7 beta. Only 1 machine of them all is a modern one with a Dual Core.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
Way back, win98 even w95 we have had problems with "windows" and it because of "Bill" haveing a hard head and not working close to "3rd party" software/Driver's company's it has always been "THE CODE/THE CODE". I've always been a Windows Man and I always be one, but untill they fix this problem we will always have problems. What the Hell we love it anyway, just thank of it, We install the OS and that's it, (What Wood We Do Then?????)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    wINDOWS 7
    Own Built
    CPU
    AMD 620
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4550
Hi there
I don't know what sort of stuff you are running on your machines but mine have been EXTREMELY STABLE.

Photoshop, media streaming both audio / video, office stuff, DVD playing and authoring, output to two monitors, remote desktop and printing, Internet, various stock exchange analysis programs, several vm's including a couple of virtual servers, a Mini SAP DB installation etc. Everything has worked just like it should.

I do Confess I don't do "games" so I don't need any serious graphics cards etc but I'm using quite a lot of decently complex apps here -- probably more than most --so I'm totally at a loss to explain the "plethora" of system hangs and crashes reported on these Forums.

Maybe you are using bits and pieces of dubious hardware "that fell off the back of a Truck" !!!.

I am sympathetic when people d DO have problems but I've been running this stuff on 7 or 8 machines for nearly a Month now -- not a smidgen of a problem with the machines so what am I doing that others aren't..

I have a few gripes with some other issues but that's nothing to do with the stability of the OS itself.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Windows 8 on my one machine is exactly as stable as all 6 of the Windows 7 machines I admin. They are all perfect. No bsods or lockups since early 7 beta. Only 1 machine of them all is a modern one with a Dual Core.

Dual core modern one ? may be you don't push it enough.

Windows 8 as some instability, but mainly it's the applications working on it that not yet 100% compatible, as exemple VMware Workstation as some extra glitch with 8, ( I said extra because it as also with Windows 7 ) Same with drivers, they don't stop to upgrade them ( for what ever OS) . Keep in mind that Windows 8 is not yet release ( it's only a preview) so it's supose to be use in a production PC. ( a PC you use for work)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.

Dual core modern one ? may be you don't push it enough.

Windows 8 as some instability, but mainly it's the applications working on it that not yet 100% compatible, as exemple VMware Workstation as some extra glitch with 8, ( I said extra because it as also with Windows 7 ) Same with drivers, they don't stop to upgrade them ( for what ever OS) . Keep in mind that Windows 8 is not yet release ( it's only a preview) so it's supose to be use in a production PC. ( a PC you use for work)

Yep, the modern one is a Dual Core.

I would have system uptimes for literally years to infinite if I did not reboot for patches.

Of course I push them all. :) Tons of latest games, heavy music production with pro interface running Cubase (main DAW), Sonar, Sound Forge, x.264 video encoding 1080p, Vegas HD Platinum, Guitar Pro software, tons of VST plugins, all sorts of tweaks, Photoshop CS6 (v. 13), network analysis tools like Dameware and Wireshark - things are 100% for me everywhere on 7 and/or 8. No issues to speak of at all. Never has been since beta 7000. That's because I am extremely knowledgeable about which software crashes the OS, which drivers crash the OS for all hardware across the board, and in general, I understand the causes of almost all bsods.

2.JPGCapture.JPG

Some videos I have made over the years on my main P4 here - the first one is only using camera audio though. I have fun lol:

[video=youtube;ssXwlGxEi1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssXwlGxEi1s[/video]

[video=youtube;kUaD5_BIU-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUaD5_BIU-A[/video]

[video=youtube;ZBfSqGkT7Nc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBfSqGkT7Nc[/video]

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211