Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I think Windows 8 will be the next Vista if people don`t give it a chance.I have had Windows8, trial,as recommendeed by posters on here, on my wife`s laptop for a day and it is awful.I couldn`t find anything , and it certainly isn`t as easy to use as previous Windows, although i guess it is because we are used to it. I have since downloaded the apps for the windows7 start bar, and suddenly things are more familiar, and seem easier to use.
I think if people perservere and add the apps you want, i think it will be ok.Just a big learning curve. Wouldn`t it be interesting if you could find someone with no previous windows experience to get them to use a version of 7 and 8, and see which they would prefer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
    Memory
    G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 2232bw
    PSU
    Antec Truepower Quattro
    Case
    Antec 180
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
While Vista's and Windows 8's "problems" are compeltely different. I think it might be accurate to say that Windows 8 could be another Vista. I.e. the perception of the OS will be so bad and the rumors and press so negative that it will languish as Vista did until MS "Fixes" it with a future update.

You do have a point and it hopefully won't come to that. Then again, "Windows Blue" might be their answer for that possibility.

Windows Blue is Microsoft's future low-cost OS with yearly updates | The Verge

If that happens, we might be getting $20 or so upgrades to the OS, like Apple does for OSX. Not sure how I feel about that.

I think Windows 8 will be the next Vista if people don`t give it a chance.I have had Windows8, trial,as recommendeed by posters on here, on my wife`s laptop for a day and it is awful.I couldn`t find anything , and it certainly isn`t as easy to use as previous Windows, although i guess it is because we are used to it. I have since downloaded the apps for the windows7 start bar, and suddenly things are more familiar, and seem easier to use.
I think if people perservere and add the apps you want, i think it will be ok.Just a big learning curve. Wouldn`t it be interesting if you could find someone with no previous windows experience to get them to use a version of 7 and 8, and see which they would prefer

Yep, like I said in another thread, we've had the start menu since Windows 95. Naturally, the transition to this new start screen is going to be bumpy. I believe once people get used to it, it'll be just as easy to use. I know it is for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
I think it will go the way of Vista for the user experience problems due to the very poor design of windows 8 - not because of hardware or driver issues. Windows 8 forces you to use many more mouse clicks to do common tasks you could do in windows 7, and makes things hard to find. Microsoft's way of forcing this scheme on people was to not give them an option by taking away the start menu. So many desktop uses don't like or need this metro thing interface that it seems to me Microsoft did a very poor job of testing the system demographically. They would have found out 3/4's of the folks out there would hate it and adjusted accordingly. Instead of proper testing, Microsoft became a dictator. Way to waste major money Microsoft!

For windows mobile phone users/ tablet/ touchscreen ( or other devices that need to connect to/use windows in that fashion) The new features may be more welcome as they become more useful. Microsoft should have provided you a choice and let you switch between the two; metro start screen or classic desktop start menu orb depending on your preference. This is Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot. At least we can fix some of this with 3rd party apps like Classic Shell which takes you directly to the desktop on boot and gives you back your start menu orb.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion G7-2251dx
    CPU
    AMD A-8 4500M
    Memory
    8 Gigabytes DDR3 sdram
    Graphics Card(s)
    Discrete ATI Radeon HD 7640G with 2 Gigs
    Sound Card
    IDT Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    500 gig
    Internet Speed
    3.5 mb/sec
While Vista's and Windows 8's "problems" are compeltely different. I think it might be accurate to say that Windows 8 could be another Vista. I.e. the perception of the OS will be so bad and the rumors and press so negative that it will languish as Vista did until MS "Fixes" it with a future update.

You do have a point and it hopefully won't come to that. Then again, "Windows Blue" might be their answer for that possibility.

Windows Blue is Microsoft's future low-cost OS with yearly updates | The Verge

If that happens, we might be getting $20 or so upgrades to the OS, like Apple does for OSX. Not sure how I feel about that.

Ugg ! Windows Blue seems absolutely Ghastly for desktop users. I do believe we are witnessing the End of Microsoft as an empire. Hopefully React OS will get it together or Linux will evolve to play all PC games and windows apps better and Open Source will save us.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    HP Pavillion G7-2251dx
    CPU
    AMD A-8 4500M
    Memory
    8 Gigabytes DDR3 sdram
    Graphics Card(s)
    Discrete ATI Radeon HD 7640G with 2 Gigs
    Sound Card
    IDT Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    500 gig
    Internet Speed
    3.5 mb/sec
I have a computer business and I have already had 7 or 8 people come in cause they cannot do simple things like logging onto a wireless cause cannot find the Icon to seach for available WIreless, etc. People do not want a program they cannot use cause EVERYTHING they have know is gone. Where is the start button? Where is the control panel? Where is the wireless icon? etc etc etc.. I cannot believe your engineers think removing everything that people feel makes them feel in control out of windows is a good idea ! I forsee alot of people coming in wanting 7 put on their PC's like with vista people wanting XP. Bad job boys , bad job !

well where to start.

the start screen is the start menu, like it or lump it really. or just use classic shell.
wireless is where it always was.
the control panel hasn't moved....on the start screen start typing...cont more than enough to find control panel...you could just type C and it will come up, or the long way....desktop win E shortcut computer tabby the clicky control panel in the ribbon at the top.

kind of unjustified hate towards windows 8 really.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed

a day?

give it a chance at least, i've been messing around with the start screen since the dev preview and frankly i think it's boring and out of date as a result.

my biggest issue is that it hasn't improved since the early beta versions.

as to it being another vista...that was not microsofts fault, if people didn't try to run that o/s on frankly absurdly bad computers then it would have been better received, all the major complaints i ever dealt with about vista were solved by using a new and better computer.

dell/hp/acer pick one kept shipping vista computers with low end hardware insufficent ram and so forth, is that an o/s fault or manufacturers cheaping out on the customers?

i ran vista from launch to windows 7 release with 8gb ram a quad core cpu and a decent gpu, had no crashes faults or slow down of any kind that i didn't cause myself. either a user fault or crap pc was the problem with vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I have a computer business and I have already had 7 or 8 people come in cause they cannot do simple things like logging onto a wireless cause cannot find the Icon to seach for available WIreless, etc. People do not want a program they cannot use cause EVERYTHING they have know is gone. Where is the start button? Where is the control panel? Where is the wireless icon? etc etc etc.. I cannot believe your engineers think removing everything that people feel makes them feel in control out of windows is a good idea ! I forsee alot of people coming in wanting 7 put on their PC's like with vista people wanting XP. Bad job boys , bad job !

This video is very instructive as to why you are wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    OSX

This video is very instructive as to why you are wrong.

What video? That just takes me to the top of the forum.
And your system info says you're running OSX. Have you used Windows 8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    Lenovo T510 / HP ProBook 4540S
    CPU
    Intel i5-510m / Intel i3-3110m
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
While it's certainly POSSIBLE for Win8 to fail in a manner similar to Vista, I think the likelyhood of that is vastly reduced over Vista.

Why?

For one, although there's a lot of complaining about the new UI, there are also a LOT of folks using smart phones and tablets that WANT such a UI on their PC. Vista didn't have a customer base already accustomed to its UI changes; Win8 does.

As to drivers, while folks keep complaining about NOT having Win8 drivers for their hardware, in many cases, they can simply install the Win7 drivers and those will work. The same was NOT true with Vista as it came with new video and audio driver models -- which appeared to catch some hardware vendors by surprise as, in the early days, only Beta driver versions were available.

As to hardware, I don't think we're going to see the "Vista capable" vs. "Vista compatible" confusion that happened before -- when MS allegedly let Intel sell Vista machines that could NOT run Aero to prevent them losing major money on an existing (915GM) chipset. The PCs you buy today with Win8 on them "just work" -- so you're not going to get the wailing and gnashing of teeth from folks who felt "cheated" by their new PC purchase.

As to UI changes -- unlike with Vista, MS allows you to go "back" to the UI of the previous OS version. Vista had no such option (that I recall -- it's been a while!) to return to the XP "desktop". So, even if you detest the Modern interface, you're not locked into using it.

So, no, I do not think Win8 is likely to be another Vista.

My Computer

As to UI changes -- unlike with Vista, MS allows you to go "back" to the UI of the previous OS version. Vista had no such option (that I recall -- it's been a while!) to return to the XP "desktop". So, even if you detest the Modern interface, you're not locked into using it.

So, no, I do not think Win8 is likely to be another Vista.

they did indeed allow it, you had to change the start menu to classic in the theme's section of the personalise section.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
Gazz9496
a day?

give it a chance at least, i've been messing around with the start screen since the dev preview and frankly i think it's boring and out of date as a result.

In my defence, i think if you read my whole post, it is a day , and i was trying to get across how bad it initially is, but with just adding a windows 7 startbar, it is becoming easier.So i am giving it a chance as it is still installed, and figuring what apps i need.I dont want to rubbish it without giving it a good month .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
    Memory
    G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce 8800 GTS
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 2232bw
    PSU
    Antec Truepower Quattro
    Case
    Antec 180
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
was meant to be mildly funny...my humour sometimes needs to be warmed up.

honestly though give it a chance for longer, after a year with the beta's i tried the classic start shell and while nice and it works really well it just didn't feel right.

but then that was a lappy and not a desktop so my requirements are different.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I think Windows 8 provides the best of both worlds. The new Start screen is quick and easy and not limited to the new apps -- I have tiles pinned from shortcuts built there to all of my legacy apps, including folder explorer and a folder where I have all my application shortcuts stored, which I can also pin to the classic desktop view taskbar if I want. I even have a tile shortcut for shutdown or restarts, which is also pinned to the taskbar and available on the desktop itself -- yes three ways to do the same thing, typical of the flexibility to do it "your way" that Windows has always provided. So I get all the benefits of both the new Windows apps and tiles, and the classic desktop. If anybody wants more details on what I do, let me know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Professional
I think Windows 8 provides the best of both worlds. The new Start screen is quick and easy and not limited to the new apps -- I have tiles pinned from shortcuts built there to all of my legacy apps, including folder explorer and a folder where I have all my application shortcuts stored, which I can also pin to the classic desktop view taskbar if I want. I even have a tile shortcut for shutdown or restarts, which is also pinned to the taskbar and available on the desktop itself -- yes three ways to do the same thing, typical of the flexibility to do it "your way" that Windows has always provided. So I get all the benefits of both the new Windows apps and tiles, and the classic desktop. If anybody wants more details on what I do, let me know.
I see you have also taken advantage of Windows 8 as I have... ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Are you looking for it in the Metro page? As far as I know, it's not there. If that's where you are at, go to the desktop and you will see it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
Ok I have read all the insults and constructive as well. My point was not 8 is hardware problem like Vista, But that windows shoved it down people throat and they did not like the program, Whatever the problem maybe, not that they are they same mechanically, really people?
If you have people new to PC's their learning all of it new, well naturally they will love it, whats not to love? they have no comparison.
While YOUNG people maybe fine with searching through and figuring out all the New mechanics to simply Use the program, older people are not. Your forgetting a wide varity of people out there over ermm lets say 50yrs old who have grown with windows through the years. Alot who have finally gotten the nerve to use it to keep in touch with family and relatives. You have so dramatically changed windows in 8 their lost. You say look here do that etc etc. If you work with People in the field you know what I am talking about, their lost and frustrated and etc. And will want to go back to win 7 with all the familar things their use to . I am putting 8 on a shop PC obiviously to get to know it well cause by job it demands it for me. Customers? iIt is Not demanded. You have cut out a whole group of people by shoving the new style down their throat and as in the past (Vista) you should have learned people do not like things shoved down their throat. It should start and have everything there as before and the sleek new look as option. I will use and get to know as I have always done thru the years cause job demands it. But I am telling you from customers coming in, they do NOT like it. You can take that or leave it as it is what has happened so far in my business. It is always bad policy to strip away all the familar and shove all new down peoples throats they will not take it well and your going to scare the majority off. Look when people go out and pay good money for a program they do not want to feel lost or stupid or etc. There has to be some familarity to atleast have some sense of security to learn on. Win 8 does not have that UNLESS you already know how to use the program. That is the fly in the ointment in my opinion !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 PRo
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Icore 7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 5600
I'm 57 yrs. old. I've used Win98, Win98SE, WinME, XP Pro, Win 7, and now I'm using Win 8 Pro on a desktop. I like it. Had no major problems learning my way around, just like I had no major problems learning my way around on any of the other Windows OS. But --- that's just me. Not speaking for all of course.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ENVY Phoenix 810
    CPU
    i7 4820@3.7GHz
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4G Nvidia GT 640
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Pavilion 27xi
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2TB
    PSU
    600w
    Cooling
    Liquid
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Trac Ball Wireless
    Browser
    IE 11, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
That was example not a Firm all people over 50 thing. My gawd people your missing the whole point by focising on a *word* or a *age* that was not the point just a age to try to get them to focus on what II am saying. There will be people under 50 that do not like it as well. *sigh* age was not the point only to try to get them to look at it from a point of view. *sigh*

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 PRo
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Icore 7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    12GB