I am a PC, not a tablet

How many people do you think that have given Windows 8 bad flack use desktops? Huh? Do they use anything else other than a desktop or cry the mantra that the Desktop should stay as it is and keep it like Windows 7 and the start menu and on and on and on and on and on and on and on?
The numbers to that is indefinite. There are people among us who do not ask for M$ to take away Metro. We just wanted a choice to have that disabled or enabled anytime we want, especially for those of us who work mostly with Desktops, doing jobs and running legacy stuff that may seem a bit bizzare with the new UI that's focused on full screen built for smaller devices such as tablets and that has repeatedly been explained to fanboys like you on this forum for months now and several discussions. There are ways to tweak it so that you go into the Metro less often, but its still not as space efficient as the smaller, compact classic Start Menu and Metro is still the first thing you see when you log in. Though a de-Metrofied Windows 8 with the classic Start menu and Start button will look like Windows 7 anyway, I and others believe, its a more developed OS deep inside as it is faster and has improved performance and there are many more ways to tweak it inside the Desktop level that can set it part from Windows 7 than it is now and with this choice to have Metro enabled or disabled anytime, you people who want to use Metro will have no problem at all and neither would be most of us Desktop fanboys, so what's the fuzz? That does not seem to be the case as M$ has been more focused developing the Metro and its apps than further making improvements on the Desktop significantly. Tablets are getting more into the hype, yes but M$ should not diss off their bread and butter which is Desktop computing, now that its still widely used on the Enterprise and consumer levels else they lose loyalty in their attempt in trying to get into that mobile and app market in hopes for more income stream. Go to any sites or blogs out there where people can comment on Windows 8 and you will see comparative concerns as we have on this forum and I suggest you read them properly, without sticking to your opinion alone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
I think part of the reason the system might be running faster is because of the no-effects and flattening of the user-interface, although I would hope that isn't the case because that would mean less chances of them tweaking it to make it a little more alive.

As for the tablet factor yes they are trying to cover that market which is nice so I am happy they finally are going into that market and having an operating system targeting that. It's fast although a boring and unappealing user-interface overall but on a tablet that's all I would need something fast to check things such as email or web surfing.

They should work on the desktop more because then they can bring better touch screen programs that work on the desktop where touch can be integrated better into programs for real heavy work.

I don't think metro is bad. It's how the ended up designing it that is bad. I appreciate the philosophy but not their execution. While it works on paper or a graph or map on a computer where it's much more in motion and busier with more things happening it just doesn't work well. It becomes illegible and with this last update more so.

They definitely need to enter the tablet market so I don't fault them for having a mobile operating system because they need one. Combining it with the desktop may not be the best solution especially since they are treating the desktop as a app but it shouldn't be. The desktop is for people who need to do more complicated work the metro is for playing around.

My Computer

I think part of the reason the system might be running faster is because of the no-effects and flattening of the user-interface, although I would hope that isn't the case because that would mean less chances of them tweaking it to make it a little more alive.

As for the tablet factor yes they are trying to cover that market which is nice so I am happy they finally are going into that market and having an operating system targeting that. It's fast although a boring and unappealing user-interface overall but on a tablet that's all I would need something fast to check things such as email or web surfing.

They should work on the desktop more because then they can bring better touch screen programs that work on the desktop where touch can be integrated better into programs for real heavy work.

I don't think metro is bad. It's how the ended up designing it that is bad. I appreciate the philosophy but not their execution. While it works on paper or a graph or map on a computer where it's much more in motion and busier with more things happening it just doesn't work well. It becomes illegible and with this last update more so.

They definitely need to enter the tablet market so I don't fault them for having a mobile operating system because they need one. Combining it with the desktop may not be the best solution especially since they are treating the desktop as a app but it shouldn't be. The desktop is for people who need to do more complicated work the metro is for playing around.

The system running faster isn't due to the UI. This isn't true since I've tested this in early alpha builds and some other have as well. There have been SERIOUS coding improvements to 8 that 7 doesn't have. For example, set your Desktop theme to Basic, you still have window color changes, and Aero effects without transparency whereas in 7, you set the theme to Basic and it's blue bleh. Heck, even in 7, you can still run Aero in full with only 32MB, and I think even 8 or 16MB of VRAM without issue. I saw a year ago when the third alpha build leaked, someone in China was able to get Aero to run on a machine that was built to run Windows 98! A Pentium 3 processor and I think only 128 MB of RAM!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I know we're not the only ones, I get around the net quite a bit, and while there are quite a few who don't like it, there's also lots who do. I've even seen people with iMacs and MacBook Pros running it and commenting how good it is, if you can get a Mac person to say its good, it can't be too bad.
Few who don't like it, huh? What a stubborn, close-minded fanboy philosophy. In fact, a lot of negative feedback is coming from the net right now than positive ones ( like this forum) and M$ should really time take reading ALL feedbacks seriously not just from those like you who praise it so much.

Close minded Fanboy, that's funny, don't let my name fool you, and don't think that only people who browse the net and look at pictures, like Windows 8. I own an Android tablet, an Android phone, an iPad2, an iPad3, an Apple ATV3 a few Windows computers a Router and 2 NAS, as a matter of fact that's the funniest thing I've ever heard.
Sure I like Windows, it gives me freedom, even Windows 8 gives me that. All my diverse tablets, phones, iPads, home theatre equipment, everything connects to my NAS.
If I'm a Fanboy of anything it's Tech, you could even call me a Tech nerd, but I also happen to like Windows and Android and IOS, I like anything to do with Tech.
I can control all my home theatre equipment through my iPad, Android tablet or Android phone or even a Netbook.

An OS to me is just a tool, I don't sit there and drool like a schoolboy over Aero or cry over the missing start menu, if the OS let's me do what I want, that's all I need, oh and I use Linux as well.
Do I fit into your category of a power user.

Nice. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
How many people do you think that have given Windows 8 bad flack use desktops? Huh? Do they use anything else other than a desktop or cry the mantra that the Desktop should stay as it is and keep it like Windows 7 and the start menu and on and on and on and on and on and on and on?
The numbers to that is indefinite. There are people among us who do not ask for M$ to take away Metro. We just wanted a choice to have that disabled or enabled anytime we want, especially for those of us who work mostly with Desktops, doing jobs and running legacy stuff that may seem a bit bizzare with the new UI that's focused on full screen built for smaller devices such as tablets and that has repeatedly been explained to fanboys like you on this forum for months now and several discussions. There are ways to tweak it so that you go into the Metro less often, but its still not as space efficient as the smaller, compact classic Start Menu and Metro is still the first thing you see when you log in. Though a de-Metrofied Windows 8 with the classic Start menu and Start button will look like Windows 7 anyway, I and others believe, its a more developed OS deep inside as it is faster and has improved performance and there are many more ways to tweak it inside the Desktop level that can set it part from Windows 7 than it is now and with this choice to have Metro enabled or disabled anytime, you people who want to use Metro will have no problem at all and neither would be most of us Desktop fanboys, so what's the fuzz? That does not seem to be the case as M$ has been more focused developing the Metro and its apps than further making improvements on the Desktop significantly. Tablets are getting more into the hype, yes but M$ should not diss off their bread and butter which is Desktop computing, now that its still widely used on the Enterprise and consumer levels else they lose loyalty in their attempt in trying to get into that mobile and app market in hopes for more income stream. Go to any sites or blogs out there where people can comment on Windows 8 and you will see comparative concerns as we have on this forum and I suggest you read them properly, without sticking to your opinion alone.

I have read a lot of comments and criticisms about 8, and some I find silly considering MY opinion. To me, some people aren't taking advantage of 8 to THEIR use and complain about metro apps when they only use a desktop. Fine, that's great. Windows 8 doesn't ONLY work with a tablet, or a small screened device, it works on a desktop as well. I feel some people have lost the original concept to the reason for the Start Screen, it's an effort for people to be more aware of their PC, their apps, their files, so on and so forth. A small, compact start menu from a PC manufacturer nowadays gets clogged with folders and subfolders that require pruning of the start menu. Sure, you can customize the size of it, I personally had it maxed out so it took a third of the Desktop in 7, but after using 8 and then going to 7 I felt lost. I had to stop and search for an item. In 8, that doesn't happen. I can configure the Start Screen in such a way that I can access everything I need easier and faster. That is the main purpose of it. Sure, it doesn't boot to a Desktop UI, but that's not really the point. It's a new way to navigate. I don't get all the "fuzz" why that's such a problem when chances are, one click takes you there already.

And besides, Microsoft isn't blowing off desktop users, they're supporting 7 for a good decade. It won't be a new OS, but then again, xp isn't a new OS and it's had a decade and a few years of support. Things are changing, in technology and for Microsoft. Windows 8 is a transition into something new and different. There is a reason why Windows 8 is "Windows Reimagined." It's because isn't built solely for desktops or laptops, but for all form factors new and old.

Also, giving a choice to disable the metro UI is pretty much saying, "Take metro away." Just saying...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I also wish they would have designed the start screen better for portrait mode as I prefer using a tablet in portrait mode and holding it in landscape mode is awkward unless resting it down to watch something. I don't think disabling metro means taking it away. It's giving people options like classic theme. If it is still there then it will still be there, disabling it won't take anything away. One thing that is annoying about some metro apps is that you keep on having to scroll vertically and horizontally.

My Computer

I also wish they would have designed the start screen better for portrait mode as I prefer using a tablet in portrait mode and holding it in landscape mode is awkward unless resting it down to watch something. I don't think disabling metro means taking it away. It's giving people options like classic theme. If it is still there then it will still be there, disabling it won't take anything away. One thing that is annoying about some metro apps is that you keep on having to scroll vertically and horizontally.

I thought Microsoft did design Start Screen for portrait mode? Also, some apps have semantic zoom, the Windows Store, Start Screen, Photos, and some others have it so you can get to somewhere faster.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I have read a lot of comments and criticisms about 8, and some I find silly considering MY opinion. To me, some people aren't taking advantage of 8 to THEIR use and complain about metro apps when they only use a desktop. Fine, that's great. Windows 8 doesn't ONLY work with a tablet, or a small screened device, it works on a desktop as well. I feel some people have lost the original concept to the reason for the Start Screen, it's an effort for people to be more aware of their PC, their apps, their files, so on and so forth. A small, compact start menu from a PC manufacturer nowadays gets clogged with folders and subfolders that require pruning of the start menu. Sure, you can customize the size of it, I personally had it maxed out so it took a third of the Desktop in 7, but after using 8 and then going to 7 I felt lost. I had to stop and search for an item. In 8, that doesn't happen. I can configure the Start Screen in such a way that I can access everything I need easier and faster. That is the main purpose of it. Sure, it doesn't boot to a Desktop UI, but that's not really the point. It's a new way to navigate. I don't get all the "fuzz" why that's such a problem when chances are, one click takes you there already.

And besides, Microsoft isn't blowing off desktop users, they're supporting 7 for a good decade. It won't be a new OS, but then again, xp isn't a new OS and it's had a decade and a few years of support. Things are changing, in technology and for Microsoft. Windows 8 is a transition into something new and different. There is a reason why Windows 8 is "Windows Reimagined." It's because isn't built solely for desktops or laptops, but for all form factors new and old.

Also, giving a choice to disable the metro UI is pretty much saying, "Take metro away." Just saying...
Why don't you just accept that there is no harm in consumers if there was an option to enable/disable the Metro? Everybody gets what they want. If there were more choices and options in a product, more people will find it suitable for them and that might just push its success.Those who like it, be it and those who don't, be it but you seem to insist that what M$ is doing now is the right thing and we should all just shut up and follow. I guarantee that if there was such an option, much of these "silly" complaints about Windows 8 would go away. A lot of these comments may seem silly to you but that's just how varied consumers are, considering those who wants their work done immediately without the need for an extra learning curve and people who use Desktops differently than you will percieve its use, differently as well and many would be as hard as rock when resisting change. It still works on a desktop, yes but not to the level of compactness like on Windows 7 Start menu because there is gonna be a point where I have to search for something but then searching it inside the Metro, this again blocks my whole screen, obscuring my Desktop and the legacy apps I have opened in there. If you like the full screen experience then be it but if ever we had this choice to enable/disable Metro, you would not have problems and neither would be most of us. Technology changes and evolves, yes, but we must not forget the origins of it and the principles that hold it together.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
Back