Huge Pent Up Demand for Windows 8 Tablets

As many as 200 million IT workers may be holding out for the right Windows 8 tablet, Forrester says.

Market research firm Forrester polled nearly 10,000 IT workers, and out of those surveyed, more showed an interest in a Windows 8 tablet than an iPad, ReadWrite.com reports. Only 2 percent said they already own a Windows 8 tablet, but 32 percent said they wanted one. As for the iPad, 26 percent polled said they'd like to own one (and 12 percent pointed to Android).

How Forrester made the leap to 200 million IT workers wanting a Windows 8 tablet, we're not really sure.

Survey Suggest Huge Pent Up Demand for Windows 8 Tablets | Maximum PC

Bill can finally relax.

HAHA! Just goes to show that evangelists will say ANYTHING that borderlines paranoia to beat up any remote growth of Windows 8 and tablet PCs!

Lots of IT people want a Windows tablet? What?! Preposterous! They were paid by Microsoft! No one can like Windows 8! It's awful! It's full of advertisements! I don't like it and no one likes it and that's that!

Geez.... :rolleyes:

Fixed!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I have to wonder what it'd be like to use Windows on a 7 inch screen. Seems a tad too small... But could be possible...

Bill should tell us, he probably has half a dozen lying around somewhere.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I don't think there is much doubt that there is a market for the paving slabs.

There is a market for almost anything.

We shall see if it is a niche - or if hundreds of millions are gagging to trade in their dedicated devices for one of those things.

You never know - some very strange things happen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't think there is much doubt that there is a market for the paving slabs.

There is a market for almost anything.

We shall see if it is a niche - or if hundreds of millions are gagging to trade in their dedicated devices for one of those things.
Millions of people already gagged to replace their desktop with a laptop and don't look back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I am waiting too. For a 7" x86 version for $200 - with GPS, SD card slot and 10 hour battery life.
I have to wonder what it'd be like to use Windows on a 7 inch screen. Seems a tad too small... But could be possible...
Works very well with Android.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I am waiting too. For a 7" x86 version for $200 - with GPS, SD card slot and 10 hour battery life.
Works very well with Android.
android's one thing, it's a smartphone OS on a larger screen. Windows, or even RT, on the other hand are not smartphone OS's. Windows Phone could work on that, but then that would defeat the idea for SO many things and would just be another phablet platform out there that doesn't offer anything more or less (maybe except for Office Mobile) than ios or android.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
My Windows CE device has a 7" screen and it's actually quite functional for navigation, making Bluetooth phone calls, watching DVDs, listening to music etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Seems 7 in and low pricing is where things are going.

Not something that win8 stuff would seem to lend itself to.

In addition to that $60 thing that you found Wolfie, I have a suspicion google may go under $100 soon with some sort of nexus type object.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
My Windows CE device has a 7" screen and it's actually quite functional for navigation, making Bluetooth phone calls, watching DVDs, listening to music etc.
Can you run Office on it though? The thing is, a 7 inch tablet would be a Windows RT tablet with Office 2013. Can that be functional with touch? That's my concern. Along with UI sizing and resizing of UI elements...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Can you run Office on it though? The thing is, a 7 inch tablet would be a Windows RT tablet with Office 2013. Can that be functional with touch? That's my concern. Along with UI sizing and resizing of UI elements...

Of course a Windows 7" tablet would be almost solely an RT device, you couldn't get even an Arm processor in a tablet that size and expect to have a decent battery life. But then if such a tablet couldn't survive in a 7" form-factor, how can the current RT tablet and Windows phone survive in their form-factors?

My Computer

System One

• OS
Seems 7 in and low pricing is where things are going.

Not something that win8 stuff would seem to lend itself to.

In addition to that $60 thing that you found Wolfie, I have a suspicion google may go under $100 soon with some sort of nexus type object.

Right, I read somewhere that Google plans to come out with a stripped down 7" Nexus - no price was mentioned. As far as I am concerned, 7" is ideal. Who wants to lug around a 10 or 12" tablet. And as a laptop replacement, those tablets are too expensive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
those tablets are too expensive

Yes, but that is just one issue.

Dell seem to have an attempt at something around the $500 mark. No idea what it is like.

Unless it is made from el cheapo components, you rather wonder how they can do that.

Perhaps they get some financial help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Too many people focusing on the number in that article. What's important is that it's not surprising there are IT professionals who are interested in Windows 8 tablets. It doesn't mention the Surface Pro specifically (and I do wonder what's taking the OEMs so long to get ranges of tablets on the market).

iPads in particular are all very well for the guys in sales and marketing but for real productivity Microsoft is where it's at.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080