How To Restore The Traditional Windows 7 Start Menu In Windows 8......

How To Restore The Traditional Windows 7 Start Menu In Windows 8 Consumer Preview

As far as download numbers are concerned, the Consumer Preview of Microsoft’s upcoming Windows 8 has gone down pretty well – building on the popularity of the early Alpha release with over a million downloads in its 24 hours.

As PC users digest some of the newer features clustered into the much-discussed Metro interface, not everybody has been too chuffed to see the demise of the traditional Start Menu – a prominent Windows feature since its commercial inception.
Enable Windows 7 Start Menu In Windows 8 Consumer Preview [How-To] | Redmond Pie

**** BE AWARE.
Please note, if you do go ahead and install ViStart, you will be offered third-party programs (Babylon toolbar and Registry Cleaner Pro) during the install process which you probably won’t want cluttering up your installed items list.****

@gborn: I noticed in your screenshots that you are using the Settings in English. You can translate the UI in German if you download de-DE.dll and place it in your Classic Shell folder.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Four days ago, I installed a program for adding the Vista Start Menu to Windows 7. I have a desktop icon instead of a Start button, but it works fine and does not interfere, at all, with the Metro interface.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
How are you getting the right click menu in ViStart NightHawk? Doesn't work for me.

I don't have ViStart on I simply gave that a look as well as the Start8 but stayed with the Start menu 7 SIW pointed to.

As far as the right click menu in 8 that's down in the same lower left corner as the Start screen pop up. Only instead of a single left click you right click to bring up the menu for things like the Admin tools, Disk Management, Run, Search, etc. there.

What would be good for the Start menu 7 however would be the shutdown, restart, logoff button the other two see whlie it has the Start button which tends to be under the taskbar at times. When manually pinning the Programs folder as a new toolbar the desktop shortcuts you can create for those items are simply dragged into the Programs folder and appear beneath the program folders you normally would find in the Start menu.

When using one of these addons the best place found for the taskbar position was at the top not bottom as you typically see as default. Thar avoids misclicks with the Start screen and right click menu at the bottom.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Back