• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved How to enable BitLocker support (unlock drive) in WinPE 5?

nuspieds

Los Angeles

Hi,

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and I am running Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1.

I have been unsuccessful at building a WinPE image that provides BitLocker support. I searched around the internet and found many posts. Eventually, I ended up trying to build it with the various added packages I discovered in the various posts. However, in the end, none worked and this is the message I am getting after booting into my WinPE environment:

manage-bde.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0xa20afa3b referenced memory at 0x0000013d.
The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

Here are the commands I eventually ended up using to build my WinPE image:
Code:
dism /image:C:\boot\macrium\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-WMI.cab"
dism /image:C:\boot\macrium\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-FMAPI.cab"
dism /image:C:\boot\macrium\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-SecureStartup.cab"
dism /image:C:\boot\macrium\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-EnhancedStorage.cab"
dism /image:C:\boot\macrium\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\en-us\WinPE-WMI_en-us.cab"
dism /image:C:\boot\macrium\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-Scripting.cab"
dism /image:C:\boot\macrium\mount /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\en-us\WinPE-Scripting_en-us.cab"
But even with all that included, I still have the same error about the memory.

Does anyone have a WinPE 5.0 x64 bootable environment working on a TPM-enabled machine? If so, how did you build your custom WinPE environment?

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad W700

nuspieds

Los Angeles

I resolved the issue, but here's how I got to it:

1) I even tried using the 8.0 ADK, but I still got the same error.

2) At one point during my troubleshooting, I stopped just prior to performing the Commit to create the WinPE image. Then I navigated to the <mount directory>\Windows\System32 and ran manage-bde.exe. The result: A Windows error (something to the effect that the program crashed/stopped working).

3) I tried running Notepad.exe and it worked fine.

4) I compared the manage-bde.exe from my mount directory to the one in C:\Windows\System32 using the comp utility and they were identical.

5) I have always been able to run C:\Windows\System32\manage-bde.exe. So I created a "temp" subdirectory in my mount directory and copied C:\Windows\System32\manage-bde.exe. When I tried to run it, I got that error (program crashed/stopped working).

6) Running it from the C:\Windows\System32 directory, however, worked without any issue. This led me to conclude that it required some dependent files in C:\Windows\System32.

7) After a bit more troubleshooting, I discovered that in order for it to run, it needed something in directory C:\Windows\System32\en-US\. I copied that folder I into my "temp" folder on my mount directory and then manage-bde.exe was able to run without any issues.

8) Final solution was to create a subdirectory called "BitLocker" in <mount directory>\Windows\System32, then copy C:\Windows\System32\manage-bde.exe and C:\Windows\System32\en-US\ into it. Then I performed the Commit to finalize and create my WinPE image.

9) Upon booting my WinPE environment, in the Command Prompt, I change to the "BitLocker" directory and run
manage-bde.exe from there to unlock my BitLocker volumes. No errors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad W700

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)