How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO

Just a quick question...

I have a Windows 8 Pro system builder key (from the DVD I bought) and didn't work on the first step of this process.

So I managed to download the 8.1 ISO by using a Windows 8 Pro upgrade key which I bought for my partners laptop which I upgraded from Windows 7.

Now that I have the ISO I have burned it on to disk, will my Windows 8 Pro system builder key work?

Thanks

If you bought the disk then I think yes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Better yet, where is the link for the Windows 8.1 pro?.... does windows do the same with the 8.1 pro or is only with the normal 8.1?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Just a quick question...

I have a Windows 8 Pro system builder key (from the DVD I bought) and didn't work on the first step of this process.

So I managed to download the 8.1 ISO by using a Windows 8 Pro upgrade key which I bought for my partners laptop which I upgraded from Windows 7.

Now that I have the ISO I have burned it on to disk, will my Windows 8 Pro system builder key work?

Thanks

I just ran set up and put in my key...it didn't work, would not accept it :cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Just a quick question...

Thanks

Ok homie, here http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/32995-windows-8-1-upgrade-windows-8-8-1-preview.html

If this do not work then contact them or better yet call W8 :) I am trying to figure out if I can do this same process, but with Windows 8.1 pro.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

Ok homie, here http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/32995-windows-8-1-upgrade-windows-8-8-1-preview.html

If this do not work then contact them or better yet call W8 :) I am trying to figure out if I can do this same process, but with Windows 8.1 pro.

I am already on 8.1 Pro (used the Windows store method). I was just trying this ISO trick out to see if I can use my original Win 8 Pro system builder DVD key (in case I need to re-install in the future) and it didn't work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7

I am already on 8.1 Pro (used the Windows store method). I was just trying this ISO trick out to see if I can use my original Win 8 Pro system builder DVD key (in case I need to re-install in the future) and it didn't work.

Can I upgrade to W8.1. and then to pro?!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

I am not sure mate, I was already on Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7

I am not sure mate, I was already on Pro.

Confused here... but you bought the pro? Because I was told by the company that the only way to obtain the W 8.1 pro is buying it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Ah I just realised what I was doing wrong... I had to use one of the generic keys from the net.

So if I use one of these generic keys install do I then activate later using my Pro 8 dvd key?

God this is complicated lol.... I hate Microsoft for putting us through this :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Just a quick question...

Thanks

If you do a in-place update using the Upgrade Pro DVD, no key is need.
http://www.eightforums.com/installa...retail-windows-8-1-windows-8-product-key.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Ah I just realised what I was doing wrong... I had to use one of the generic keys from the net.

So if I use one of these generic keys install do I then activate later using my Pro 8 dvd key?

God this is complicated lol.... I hate Microsoft for putting us through this :mad:

I guess if you bought the Windows 8 pro and write the key it will download the Windows 8.1. pro?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Just a quick question...

Thanks

If you do a in-place update using the Upgrade Pro DVD, no key is need.
http://www.eightforums.com/installa...retail-windows-8-1-windows-8-product-key.html

Yeah I try with my product key and it din't work. I will try that method.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
So I am trying to upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.

I have the iso of Windows 8.1 because of Dreamspark. IS it possible to upgrade to windows 8 using DAEMON tools to mount the iso and then run setup?

or do i have to do something else

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I have the iso of Windows 8.1 because of Dreamspark. IS it possible to upgrade to windows 8 using DAEMON tools to mount the iso and then run setup?

I would use the DVD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

I would use the DVD.

I am trying to avoid burning the iso to a DVD because I don't have a optical drive. Also does this mean mounting does not work and I will have to resort to using a flashdrive to do so?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
Just a quick question...

Thanks

You can't install with a Windows 8.0 key. It will only accept a Windows 8.1 key for installation. Use the leaked key to install and then you can activate with your 8.0 key.

EDIT: Ops, should have read the whole thread, it looks like you figured it out anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

I guess if you bought the Windows 8 pro and write the key it will download the Windows 8.1. pro?

Yes, the key you enter determines which version (core or Pro) you download.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

I would use the DVD.

I am trying to avoid burning the iso to a DVD because I don't have a optical drive. Also does this mean mounting does not work and I will have to resort to using a flashdrive to do so?

I do all my installs from flash drives. Its fast and convenient, well I find it convenient.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I would use the DVD.

I do all my installs from flash drives. Its fast and convenient, well I find it convenient.

Alright thanks. I will put the iso on the flashdrive and install Windows 8.1 like that I guess.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
Does anyone know the size of Windows 8 ISO file size?

I have 8.1 iso file and it's size is 3.63 GB but am confused whether if it's only the iso file for the upgrade or the whole operating system including 8 and new stuff from 8.1.

I don't want to mess up my computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
Back