Solved How can any of you use Windows 8.1 Update 1?

I got through a couple of paragraphs. Good luck to you.
Good job, I hope you get this bug soon

Wishing ill on people’s systems is not very nice. No one here wished that upon you. It shows something of your character as all of our posts do.

MS is not forcing anyone to buy or use any of their products. There are alternatives. You seem to be an advanced user. “Reimagining Microsoft” has been in the news for quite some time. There’s one I found linked below that dates back to September, 2011. I’m sure you’ve read at least some articles on the subject. “Reimagining Microsoft” focuses on “devices and services” as a new business plan. It’s not new news that these services will be integrated into their OSs such as OneDrive is now in 8.1. MS Live accounts to sign into a device, MS Store apps working in conjunction with one another, Bing search, the Store, live tiles, and more are all integrated into 8.1. Attempting to create an OS to work across all devices is nothing new either.

Do you not research a product before you buy it? Most people do. Even then after when we buy the product sometimes we decide we don’t like the product we have a certain time span to take it back for a full refund. At least here in the U.S. that’s the law.

BTW, I read your post #15, so I had somewhat of an idea of what you were up to. When I got to post #16 I thought not to waste the time to read it, which is anyone’s prerogative, including yours. I think it to be very dangerous to hack the Registry to the extreme that you did. Not very good advice IMO.

Here’s another item to add to my list in post #12.

5) Use a different OS.

Again, good luck to you and have a great day. :)

Steve Ballmer: We are ?reimagining Microsoft? | Ars Technica

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
3) Instead of using Group Policy Editor to disable OneDrive like I usually did and used to see this message in Event Viewer which was probably the cause of the initial 1 minute freeze: "The server {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout." -- (Event ID) 10010, (Source) Distributed COMwhich caused the event log to be busy during startup

4) I disabled UAC completely, both from Control Panel and using a registry trick, this in turn, does not allow OneDrive to run since UAC is disable

Perhaps it's tweaks like that, that you are running that I am not, which causes some of these bugs to come out of the woodwork. I'll have to look at OneDrive, I did have SkyDrive in place with Windows 8.0 (however, I predominately use Dropbox). I'll have to see if it's still doing anything since I use a local account (actually a domain account, since 8.1 is on my work computer).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I got through a couple of paragraphs. Good luck to you.
Good job, I hope you get this bug soon

Wishing ill on people’s systems is not very nice. No one here wished that upon you. It shows something of your character as all of our posts do.

MS is not forcing anyone to buy or use any of their products. There are alternatives. You seem to be an advanced user. “Reimagining Microsoft” has been in the news for quite some time. There’s one I found linked below that dates back to September, 2011. I’m sure you’ve read at least some articles on the subject. “Reimagining Microsoft” focuses on “devices and services” as a new business plan. It’s not new news that these services will be integrated into their OSs such as OneDrive is now in 8.1. MS Live accounts to sign into a device, MS Store apps working in conjunction with one another, Bing search, the Store, live tiles, and more are all integrated into 8.1. Attempting to create an OS to work across all devices is nothing new either.

Do you not research a product before you buy it? Most people do. Even then after when we buy the product sometimes we decide we don’t like the product we have a certain time span to take it back for a full refund. At least here in the U.S. that’s the law.

BTW, I read your post #15, so I had somewhat of an idea of what you were up to. When I got to post #16 I thought not to waste the time to read it, which is anyone’s prerogative, including yours. I think it to be very dangerous to hack the Registry to the extreme that you did. Not very good advice IMO.

Here’s another item to add to my list in post #12.

5) Use a different OS.

Again, good luck to you and have a great day. :)

Steve Ballmer: We are ?reimagining Microsoft? | Ars Technica
yup, just downgraded to Windows 7, 0 quirks and now I can use my PC like it was meant to be without anyone forcing me to use services I don't want :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4940MX Extreme CPU @ 4 GHz
    Motherboard
    Alienware 0FT9KT
    Memory
    32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4GB GDDR5 RAM
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC668 HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display IPS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2x SanDisk Extreme PRO 960GB SSDs + 850 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD
    Keyboard
    Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MBPS Download / 10 MBPS Upload
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus
Im just really shoked by the way ppl get so defensive anytime someone states their opinion their dislike for Windows 8.1. EVERYONE has a right to feel how they want and express that is what this is here for to show the probs ppl are experiencing. It seems like to me you are the one that needs to LIVE WITH the fact that everyone does not like this OS, not because they want to vent and be mean but because they are stressed at all the issues they are having real problems. I don't think Deepor or Maximus were coming on strong, that's how they feel about their issues. I think many ppl and ms are so busy being offended by ppl expressing themselves they are less concerned with fixing issues and improving customer faith by showing some understanding in their frustration instead of trying to silence them. Not to those ppl, you don't own MS and the workers don't either so those are the ppl who need to DEAL with It! This is a Free Country ppl.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    toshiba satellite and hp
Hey HIPSEY do you own Microsoft, you sure are defensive. Why don't you just don't logon here anymore if it hurts your feelings that bad that ppl aren't happy with it. Of course, no one has money to keep going out buying this stuff and everyone knows its nonreturnable. We have no idea what we are buying until we use it ...So hey add this to your list Come off your thrown and realize this is a free country and not everyone is on the windows MS bandwagon. geesh, you would think they were paying you money to be so sensitive about Windows 8. SO U HAVE A NICE DAY as well and better yet take the day off. :Dsigned no burbs just south side Chicago all day...hahaha...and oh ms, don't bother sending email just ban me for speaking my mind but of course everyone that supports you will of course be heard...it's of no indifference to me, could care less...:dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    toshiba satellite and hp
There are many threads across many forums that I read where people complain that the desktop icons freeze when you reboot, then become active after 1 minute. Also in any explorer Window, the icons will appear white/blank for 1 minute as well, then everything starts to work normally..

I have experienced this on multiple install of Windows 8.1 update on different laptops

Please tell me how can you guys tolerate this?

It wasn't the case in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1

just the update 1

I don't have many desktop icons, but I did notice that icons in File Explorer are slow to fill in right after installing Windows 8.1, and it never gets better as you would expect due to caching. Fortunately, the solution is simple and something I do anyway: Turn off Windows Defender's Real-Time Protection. It also causes lengthy delays for the commencement of file delete and copy operations in File Explorer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Excellent mdmd! :D

I was going to ask why he or she bought the laptop with 8 preinstalled in the first place. Why not get it with 7? It's been in the news since before release what a lousy OS 8/8.1/8.1.U1 are.

I got to say you topped me with yours. :thumb:

coz I live in Dubai and they don't have choices of OSes or customizations, you buy it as is, you cannot change a single spec

PLUS, ASUS doesn't provide any drivers officially for Windows 7 for my laptop (ASUS G750JX) so even custom builders who do ship these laptops with Windows 7 ship it with unapproved drivers

Hi there

Not going to argue directly with an inhabitant of Dubai -- but all I can say is when I did a two day stopover there it seemed to me to be the SHOPPING CAPITAL of the Universe !!! I think even the back streets of Shanghai wouldn't have so many products on offer.

Internet there is pretty good too so your update 1 should be fine --I've had NO problems with Windows 8.1 update 1. I did install from scratch however so no bloat etc in my machine.So I can't say I've ever experienced the problem.

@pink y - people are free to say they HATE any OS they like -- there's the Chillout room for that -- simply start a thread who hates this OS or something.

If people pose a question saying they have a problem on a particular topic they hope to get some sort of sensible answers - that's what the Forums are for andgenerally very useful too.

I wish some of the "newbies" had some experience of the "Old School way" years ago when Internet communication was just starting to get popular and affordable where we used to logon to text based BB's (Bulletin Boards) which were rigidly controlled by a SYSOP. If you didn't adhere to what was known as "Netiquette" you would be dealt with very quickly.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Fear is fantasy and a horrible handicap. Quit listening to the whiners. Nothing is ever, not ever, their fault or their responsibility.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
First time I get bored I'll try to ruin something in my Windows, no big troubles, everything installed correctly , upgrades, updates, everything. Drivers work like they should, couple of BSODs because of overzealous OC and one buggy analog TV card. I am anything but gentle with it, tens of programs being installed and uninstalled all the time, a lot of work done with computer and some experimenting with the OS to see if I can duplicate some problems people ask me about. In short, this is most boring windows ever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Hey HIPSEY do you own Microsoft, you sure are defensive. Why don't you just don't logon here anymore if it hurts your feelings that bad that ppl aren't happy with it. Of course, no one has money to keep going out buying this stuff and everyone knows its nonreturnable. We have no idea what we are buying until we use it ...So hey add this to your list Come off your thrown and realize this is a free country and not everyone is on the windows MS bandwagon. geesh, you would think they were paying you money to be so sensitive about Windows 8. SO U HAVE A NICE DAY as well and better yet take the day off. signed no burbs just south side Chicago all day...hahaha...and oh ms, don't bother sending email just ban me for speaking my mind but of course everyone that supports you will of course be heard...it's of no indifference to me, could care less...

Welcome to Windows EightForums, pink y. :)

Overall it seems to me you’re angry and have some axes to grind, especially with MS for getting banned without notice. Did you dig up some old bones here to take that out on me?

Please notice that the OP edited his or her OP that same day, therefore, unless you read his or her original OP before the editing that day, which I highly doubt, you have no idea what he or she stated originally. If true, then how can you possibly comment about my posts answering to it? Some of what he or she wrote is revealed in my first post #9. Furthermore, why did you not include others that answered to the OP in your critique?

Please don’t assume that my feelings got or get hurt simply because someone doesn’t like 8.x. No skin off my nose really. It’s no secret that I and many others on this support forum are big proponents of the vast changes MS has introduced in 8.x. It doesn’t need defending whatsoever. It stands in its own and it runs just as well as 7. However, I do have a “thing” about posters who criticize and whine while presenting a problem. As Jimbo45 stated > There is proper "Netiquette" and there are proper channels to express one’s feelings on a subject such as the Chillout room here: Chillout Room - Windows 8 Forums

I don’t know about you nor anyone else, but I have never bought a product that I didn’t try out, bought prior, or on occasion when I couldn’t try out (such as purchasing online) that I didn’t research in depth before I bought it. That’s just plain common consumer sense.

This is pretty much what all companies have to follow in the refund process here in the U.S.: Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guidelines

I have to ask > Is your global spell check turned on? Doesn’t look like it. And if I may ask > Where did you learn to write the English language? Geez! The nuns would have knocked me silly! :p

You have a nice day as well, [DEL]pinkie[/DEL] pink y. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I think that pink y has gotten more worked up here than anybody else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Now ain't that riquoucolous, bashing something not even knowing anything about it. If they knew, wouldn't have to ask about it. Ah, the audacity of that MS, just refuse to make an OS by their wishes. Now if you excuse me for a minute, I'm going over to an Apple site to bash Macintosh for a bit. Don't know much about it (last time I worked on it, it was Lisa).
OK. I'm back. It's funny how some people call a "Bug" some features I had to wait for long time to find in Windows. Complaints for something missing and when it is implemented others call it a bug."Os is not secure enough" and when it's tightened than come cries that it's too much and will not let them ( and malware ) free reign to do what they want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro