Here's what's wrong with Windows 8

[h=1]
Here's what's wrong with Windows 8[/h] By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes
March 12, 2012, 11:00am PDT

Summary: Windows 8 is a massive gamble for Microsoft, and right now I can see the potential for it to fail harder than Windows Vista did.

I’ve been using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview since its release back at the end of February, and having used it extensively on a number of several physical and virtual systems, I can now put my finger on what I think is wrong with Microsoft’s latest incarnation of Windows.

It might not say the word ‘beta’ anywhere on this release, but this Consumer Preview is still pre-release software, and as such there will be bugs and features that are not yet fixed in stone.

Let’s take a tour of where I think Microsoft has gone wrong with Windows 8, starting with the obvious.

Too much emphasis on touch

I know I’ve ranted about this before, but that’s not going to stop me from ranting about it again.

I still can’t fathom out why Microsoft is pushing a touch-based operating user interface onto systems that people are going to be driving with a keyboard and mouse, which I estimate will make up at least 90 percent if not more of Windows 8 users over the lifespan of the operating system. It feels like change for the sake of change and nothing else.

It feels clumsy and awkward and, as far as I can tell, offers no benefit the traditional PC user. By now, I’ve used Windows 8 enough to be confident enough to say that the new interface is far less efficient to use with a mouse than the Classic interface.

But it gets worse. The more you use the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, the more you get the feel that the concessions that Microsoft have made to those using a keyboard and mouse are poor afterthoughts that feel awkward and clumsy to use. There’s a tremendous lack of consistency in the operating system that really bothers me.

Clashing user interfaces

Another problem I have with Windows 8 is how readily Microsoft flips users between the Classic and Metro user interfaces whenever the developers haven’t managed to create a consistent user interface. I find it utterly crazy that I can go from clicking on a tile on the Metro Start Screen and then be unceremoniously dumped into things like a Classic Control Panel applet or Windows Explorer.

Bolting on a new user interface is one thing, but when that user interface is incomplete, it makes you question the value of having it in the first place.

It gets worse. While Microsoft has ribbonized much of the Classic user interface, these Ribbon menus are still packed with small user elements and fiddly to use with a mouse, and I’m sure that they will be even fiddlier, if not impossible to use, when driven with a finger. The ribbon menus weren’t developed with touch in mind, but it seems that Microsoft has decided to adopt it as a cheap alternative to spreading the Metro user interface across the whole of Windows 8, and it seems like a really bad idea.

see two page report

one button would be all it takes to stifle all complaints. Classic desktop,..."click" all done

Not a good idea - in the viewpoint of Microsoft:

No metro -> no "Store" icon
No "Store" - > no Apps
No Apps - > no profit

Maybe Msoft should consider that if they don't sell the Op system there will also be no Apps to sell.

There is already enough bad press on this Op system to ruin the market share for a long time to come. Don't get me wrong, I like this Op system and it only took me a week or so to get use to the new way of doing things, it wasn't a steep learning curve for me anyway.

By not giving people the default choices of Metro or Desktop they could be sealing their own fate.

The sad thing is that the actual desktop interface is better than Windows 7 in many ways even though it mostly "looks" the same, it's not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Where's the Metro tile, "Windows User Manual"?
Have you tried using the "Windows Help"?
. :)

good point , it's easy to say to learn it, but you have to know where to start.

starthere.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I wonder in the authors disklike of the Ribbon has he ever used EXCEL. I like the ribbon --and if he has trouble with using the mouse I suspect his hardware could have a defect in it.

I love the ribbon on MS Office, MS Paint and Wordpad but I think, its just looks cluttering on Windows Explorer. With the ribbon shown on Windows Explorer, the top section just gets filled with large command icons that most people are not used of seeing on Windows Explorer like me and they even decided to shrink the Details Pane below that I use to make up for the loss of space when they added the bulky looking ribbon on top.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
There is a small icon on the far right next to the help icon that will toggle the ribbon or use Ctrl+F1.

Jim :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
I also like the ribbon plus you can customize it and at a quick launch for the CP in the upper left of the ribbon. I am contantly checking out the features for 8 and there are many and many pro articles about the new version,and I think it will be very polished when the final versions are released. I am running it on my HP laptop and love the interface both Metro and the apps 3 search features work great for me .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Home Built Antec P-180B Case
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    Asus P5QPro Turbo
    Memory
    Kingston PC6300 4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD5670
The OS is about customizing to your needs, the geeks and nerds are going to love it, everyone else with lower computer IQ, not so much.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
The OS is about customizing to your needs, the geeks and nerds are going to love it, everyone else with lower computer IQ, not so much.

I must have a real low IQ, the first day I like it, but the more I use it the more I ate it. Of course I like the fact we can't mount ISO, and the corrector in IE10, but they can include them as an update to Windows 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
I wonder in the authors disklike of the Ribbon has he ever used EXCEL. I like the ribbon --and if he has trouble with using the mouse I suspect his hardware could have a defect in it.

I love the ribbon on MS Office, MS Paint and Wordpad but I think, its just looks cluttering on Windows Explorer. With the ribbon shown on Windows Explorer, the top section just gets filled with large command icons that most people are not used of seeing on Windows Explorer like me and they even decided to shrink the Details Pane below that I use to make up for the loss of space when they added the bulky looking ribbon on top.

The only real annoyance found so far with the "Better Explorer" as it was released separately for a look months back is the view button. Previously you would see a drop down list of options like list while now while going to change the default details to list the list will close up before you can get the cursor down to now menu type list. Other then that the menu bar simply offers more options without the need for reg mods except the burn to disk button.

As far as customizing things that's a different area entirely. There will always be someone who wants to work up some OS tweaks. Here I look at what each newer version will do expecting some new style will be brought out. What will 8 do that you can't see done in other versions? for example. Not everyone is into customizing things but will ask why this version?

The one tweak that would be good since the CP seems to lack that option would be an exit button or arrow while in the Apps or Settings screen since there isn't any back button. Instead you have to call up the Start screen throughout each step when going to exit one section to get into another.

As far as portable units it wouldn't be smart phones but Windows Phones and Tablet PC where the Metro would see the most use. MS certainly wants to grab up market share in the mobile market especially since the WP 7 didn't go that well. But to abandon the desktop side of the OS entirely is what many will be concerned about. The CP of course is just a "preview" of a newer version not a finished OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
OK in Excel

The "Ribbon" is OK in Excel.
I find it to be a nuisance in other programs.

I also like the ribbon plus you can customize it ...

I only have Office 2007.
You can't customise it without hacking files.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Rant:

One thing; if you do not like the ribbon turn it off/hide, or is that just to hard for some of you to do. . .:haha: /end of rant

Edited to add the word hide. . .it would seem that some people just want to be . . .:D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Turned Off?

Rant:

One thing; if you do not like the ribbon turn it off, or is that just to hard for some of you to do. . .:haha: /end of rant

How do you do anything with it "turned off"?

I assume you actually mean hide it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
The OS is about customizing to your needs

Really ? How to customize:
  • disable metro start menu at boot ?
  • enable desktop at boot ?
  • enable desktop start menu ?
  • disable Charmbar ? (because it always appears when I move my mouse cursor to the right to my second monitor on right side)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
The one thing that keeps annoying me is that if you like metro, all is fine. But when you dislike metro, you are wrong!

Imo metro is good move for touch devices, but is very limited for serious desktop use (non touch).

It is not a surprise for me to find MS using its market share in desktop pc's to force the consumer to accept a product.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp, vista, 7, 8dp, ubuntu, osx
It is not a surprise for me to find MS using its market share in desktop pc's to force the consumer to accept a product.

You resume well the citation. Microsoft is now too big, Governments will have to step in, if MS want to try new thing no problem, but they have to continue to support and not phase out Windows 7 and even XP, too much peoples are depending on them, this is one of the core of the economy, you can't let Microsoft decide everything for all the world. They make us buy and use XP and Windows 7, they can’t remove it from the market, it’s not moral.
I dont care what thing some peoples who are using their PCs just as entertainement in their houses, it's all the business, the one who make the economy work, who will have to endure this non sense

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
I dont care what thing some peoples who are using their PCs just as entertainement in their houses, it's all the business, the one who make the economy work, who will have to endure this non sense

Over the years and especially lately, I see lots of people saying things like this. If you really think about it though, if MS did not make some funky changes here and there - confuse people a little, throw a wrench in the wheel, add this feature, disable that one, new way to do things, old way may or may not work, move the Control Panel here...etc...

...that's what actually creates jobs. I read people saying how the IT dept will go bonkers, how to train everyone?, is it possible??

Instead, we should be seeing things like, "Oh, this is different in Windows 8. I can easily now add a tiny sub-division to my small business to deal with that for my customers" - or similar - what I mean is clear enough.

All that stuff is creating employment. Every single last person getting paid to deal with anything computers really has Microsoft to thank in no small part. It's all by design and intended.

If Windows 2000 was the newest OS, and Microsoft has been patching it all these years along with companys making drivers all these years (as the sole forefront OS), the stability would be enourmous. IT workers would be out of jobs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
In the present economy business, try to survive, not increase their IT department load.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Government stepping in? Really? And THAT is supposed to make things better? I've been in and around Government computing projects for decades, and in all honesty, I can't think of a single instance where they interfered in something and did NOT completely hose it up!

Regarding making Win8 "right" -- I've seen suggestions like adding an entry to the installer to tell it whether or not it's using a touch device, and if it's NOT, then defaulting to the desktop approach, instead of Metro.

I also saw a screen layout that had the Metro stuff centered, but was bordered in the standard desktop -- giving the best of both worlds.

However, there may be a "light at the end of this tunnel" in that I saw an article yesterday on several forums indicating that a former MS person had setup a website to focus on what he thought MS did wrong with Win8 -- focus on touch devices -- and to gather ideas for tailoring Win8 to work well for the REST of us.

My Computer

LOL - that is like throwing rubbish in the street to make more street cleaning jobs.

Over the years and especially lately, I see lots of people saying things like this. If you really think about it though, if MS did not make some funky changes here and there - confuse people a little, throw a wrench in the wheel, add this feature, disable that one, new way to do things, old way may or may not work, move the Control Panel here...etc...

...that's what actually creates jobs. I read people saying how the IT dept will go bonkers, how to train everyone?, is it possible??

Instead, we should be seeing things like, "Oh, this is different in Windows 8. I can easily now add a tiny sub-division to my small business to deal with that for my customers" - or similar - what I mean is clear enough.

All that stuff is creating employment. Every single last person getting paid to deal with anything computers really has Microsoft to thank in no small part. It's all by design and intended.

If Windows 2000 was the newest OS, and Microsoft has been patching it all these years along with companys making drivers all these years (as the sole forefront OS), the stability would be enourmous. IT workers would be out of jobs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
win the powerball, buy microsoft, do what you want :roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
The OS is about customizing to your needs

Really ? How to customize:
  • disable metro start menu at boot ?
  • enable desktop at boot ?
  • enable desktop start menu ?
  • disable Charmbar ? (because it always appears when I move my mouse cursor to the right to my second monitor on right side)

Disable Chamber? or create a shortcut for it once you realize that is all too familiar to Vista's sidebar only not remaining visible once enabled constantly. Only this an auto hide mechanism being used there.

With the CP overall fortunately "still in beta" and not the actual RTM :eek: we are having a look at some new ideas MS is tossing around. The initial reaction as well as testing perhaps is one way MS will find out if 8 is "sellable" as well as allowing people to see what is in store.

Once retail the Metro will likely still be default until throwing a switch or the Windows installer may reveal an option for two differenc system configurations. Or how about simply running the tnen setting to find the off switch there?

A total deviation from a desktop OS and not simply a new look with some new "pleasures"(or dimises) would be a downfall trendwise as well as versionwise leading to 8 being a flopperoni that simply falls flat on it's face. If MS incorporates a configuration options wizard that allows disabling Metro to present a more typical desktop for desktop use then they have simply made a stride in touchscreen/tablet support along with the usual desktop OS.

On the other hand if MS leaves all as is will all of the extra step around or through this to get to that to go find something else without regard of what users have been tooled with since 95 then you would have to expect 8 to... FLOP?

Being innovative is what MS is supposed to be about in order to bring out new ideas as well as support for new hardwares and services. Leaving the desktop behind totally however would be disasterous for MS as well as the user.

Incorporation of new ideas into a desktop OS on the other hand without these simply being rhrown in your face with numerous options available would make far more sense. The real look is in the finish however not the CP we see now. That will be what makes or breaks 8 there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Back