Help! Windows 8 sucks :(

I tried to follow this one: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/23084-mail-app-email-notifications-turn-off-windows-8-a.html?filter[1]=Programs%20Features and it did not even have the same options on my windows... it saids I can go under accounts and lock my mail - but nope .. Cant do that either! And I even followed the steps!

Those notification toasts are disabled by default.

To prevent email being shown the actual tile itself on the Start Screen so it's just a static icon, just go to Start, right click on the Mail tile, and on the bottom app command bar, you should see Turn live tile off. Hit that, and you won't get any email or anything showing on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Password protect, and lock what?

The PC. You hit the Start key and L to lock it. Or go to Start, hit the user account tile at top, and then hit Lock.

I cannot even believe that you took the time to type that response to me, I do corporate IT for a living.

Here is the problem with your quaint solution. If anybody manages to change my password on the Windows domain and then logs into my laptop, they have all of my personal email, etc.

I don't want automatic logins to anything personal. No email, no dropbox, no skydrive, no photobucket, no facebook, etc. For these things, I don't want apps, I just want a website with a login.

I cannot even believe you wouldn't already know that or do that. But then again, the problem here on this thread isn't an IT situation in a corporate setting, this is just one person's issue. This doesn't mean that an IT situation where multiple people use one PC and therefore having to use a browser to access that isn't the ideal solution here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Dell Computer has a free ebook "Windows 8 for Dummies", it is excellent and clear.

Dell | Windows 8 for Dummies E-book

Thx for helping but it dosent answer my questions, especially the one for how to lock my email account! Its allot of bla bla bla in that book, and I do not have time to read all theese pages! It needs to be more simple and easy for people and not so stressful. Its like w new full time job this Windows 8 - maybe my next job will be as an IT supporter.. hahahahaha

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ?
    Computer type
    Laptop
I cannot even believe you wouldn't already know that or do that
Of course I knew that and do that. I could also turn off my computer and nobody can click on the icon then too.

. But then again, the problem here on this thread isn't an IT situation in a corporate setting, this is just one person's issue. This doesn't mean that an IT situation where multiple people use one PC and therefore having to use a browser to access that isn't the ideal solution here.
The situation is the same. They configured email, they found it disturbing that clicking the icon took you right into their email. Anybody who sat down at their PC had access automagically.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Of course I knew that and do that. I could also turn off my computer and nobody can click on the icon then too.

. But then again, the problem here on this thread isn't an IT situation in a corporate setting, this is just one person's issue. This doesn't mean that an IT situation where multiple people use one PC and therefore having to use a browser to access that isn't the ideal solution here.
The situation is the same. They configured email, they found it disturbing that clicking the icon took you right into their email. Anybody who sat down at their PC had access automagically.

That's what the Mail app is designed to do.... Just like every other email app on ios, android, Windows Phone, and Windows....

And to prevent unauthorized people from accessing that, you password protect it and lock it if you're away. Put it to sleep and resume it, no one other than that one person can log into it as it's password protected.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Dell Computer has a free ebook "Windows 8 for Dummies", it is excellent and clear.

Dell | Windows 8 for Dummies E-book

Thx for helping but it dosent answer my questions, especially the one for how to lock my email account! Its allot of bla bla bla in that book, and I do not have time to read all theese pages! It needs to be more simple and easy for people and not so stressful. Its like w new full time job this Windows 8 - maybe my next job will be as an IT supporter.. hahahahaha

Windows 8 sucks if you don't know how to use it. Once you learn how to use, LEARN HOW TO USE IT (key phrase here) it stops sucking and becomes rather useful. It doesn't take long.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Yeah I guess I was looking for manual with the different icons.. you know like WIN + D = Desktop.. some few pictures perhaps. That would help allot.. But In the book for Dummies it stands allot of text... instead of showing icons and as I said - just a simple manual for the most important things would be nice for people like me to get started! Thx for helping people

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ?
    Computer type
    Laptop

That's what the Mail app is designed to do.... Just like every other email app on ios, android, Windows Phone, and Windows....

And to prevent unauthorized people from accessing that, you password protect it and lock it if you're away. Put it to sleep and resume it, no one other than that one person can log into it as it's password protected.

Hence the reason that people have such compromised privacy. They lose their phone or computer and people have everything they have.

^ That's one of the things that I truly appreicate about the Google Chromebook. If I were to misplace it, I haven't lost a single bit of information. There is nothing on the device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Go buy a Windows 8 for Dummies book (I got one, and its a great help for less then $20 US)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7
Or you could get an os you like, instead of trying to force yourself to do MS bidding.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Or you could get an os you like, instead of trying to force yourself to do MS bidding.

Well, just be a sourpuss about it. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone

Hence the reason that people have such compromised privacy. They lose their phone or computer and people have everything they have.

^ That's one of the things that I truly appreicate about the Google Chromebook. If I were to misplace it, I haven't lost a single bit of information. There is nothing on the device.
Hence, the reason why there are several password options as well as two account options as well as several other options to use certain software certain ways.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
LOL, Shawn.

You know I find the whole thing utterly hilarious. I can't resist joining in the irony.

The misguided few who want everyone to bend to the will of a corporation and force themselves to adapt to a technology - instead of the other way around.

The public awareness/hit and run smear ( depending on your point of view ) being conducted by MS against Google.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

It reminds a little of Yes Prime Minister - but you couldn't write this stuff.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi there all of you It people...

I am just a simple normal girl who hardly tries to figure out how this not very nice Windows 8 is working... I cant beleive I bought this crap!

I hope somebody wants to help, since Windows charges 500 kr to help.

My question is: When I go on the start page, there is an app called Mail (outloook), How can manage to log out of it, so nobody who walks by my laptop can get acces to my mail. Right now its easy to acces since its open, and there is no way to log out of it.

Thats just 1 issue.. I have headeachs using Windows 8 :(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hi there
People will sympathize with your sentiment - but saying it's a piece of Dog Poo on a Windows 8 Forum and then asking for help isn't likely to get you the best people to help you out.

There ARE problems with W8 and for some people trying to use / navigate it is a nightmare - but I would suggest you should title the post slightly differently.

If you logged on to a Harley Bikers Forum, complained how BAD you thought Harley's were and then ask for help I'm quite sure what the response would be.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB