Google Drive triples free storage to 15GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I simply don't trust the companies to be as careful with my files as I am. They'll gladly take my money, but I'll bet there is no guarantee of safe storage.

Yes that happens when a country shuts down a service there were quite a few angry users who had no back up of what they had in the cloud all GONE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I simply don't trust the companies to be as careful with my files as I am. They'll gladly take my money, but I'll bet there is no guarantee of safe storage.

Yes that happens when a country shuts down a service there were quite a few angry users who had no back up of what they had in the cloud all GONE.

I think that happened in New Zealand when the FBI worked with the New Zealand government to shut down Kim Dotcom (Megaupload). A lot of people lost access to their storage accounts and possibly all there stored files. Apparently this affects around 50 million people.

Injustice Continues as Megaupload User Data Negotiations Go Bust | TorrentFreak

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
That is why I will never trust the cloud for backup you can never know what company will shut down there service just because.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
The thing with MegaUpload was the fact it was hosting pirated and other copyrighted material. Obviously there were some that used it purely as storage for other nonproblematic things that were affected.

I believe in the US, the FCC has basically claimed they have rights to cloud storage as they say it's pretty much public domain. So as long as the cloud service you're using doesn't readily allow distribution of files and links back to pirated/copyrighted material that the company isn't doing anything to stop or prevent, that's where it should be questionable. SkyDrive for example won't allow certain images to be hosted on their servers. I don't think you can upload .exes, I haven't tried.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Apparently there were all sorts of 'irregularities' in how the FBI and NZ government went about closing down Megaupload and I don't think Kim Dotcom has yet been found guilty of any crime. It was probably all started by the US motion picture and recording industry, which seems to have quite some influence in congress.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Apparently there were all sorts of 'irregularities' in how the FBI and NZ government went about closing down Megaupload and I don't think Kim Dotcom has yet been found guilty of any crime. It was probably all started by the US motion picture and recording industry, which seems to have quite some influence in congress.

MPAA... RIAA... :rolleyes: Ugh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I have 2 physical drives in my server and they sync daily. I keep 7 days worth of backups local on the server. I also keep 2 usb drives off-site, that I rotate and bring home monthly to run a robocopy backup job. I'm starting to move some stuff to the cloud as is easier and automatic, the biggest problem is my lack of upload speed at home..

I don't worry about places like dropbox or skydive shutting down. Even if they did, the data they have is synced to at least one home computer, so as long as they didn't shut off their servers on the day I crashed, it would not be an issue..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Cloud storage is a good concept if you know how to use it. It is designed for people on the go who needs access to work related files. Although it can be used for personal backup storage, the possiblity of someone having problems with it is greater that the possibility of your house getting burned down to the ground. I have a safety desposit box in the bank and I can keep hard drives in there if I want to. But I don't see the need why I should. But I would definitely not take a chance with the cloud.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
I still have 5 GB only.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC
    Acer Aspire 5920
    CPU
    Core 2 duo T5550
    Motherboard
    ACER CHAPALA
    Memory
    4GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA X3100
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    160 GB HDD
Cloud storage is a good concept if you know how to use it. It is designed for people on the go who needs access to work related files. Although it can be used for personal backup storage, the possiblity of someone having problems with it is greater that the possibility of your house getting burned down to the ground.
Well, with most cloud storage, it's a sync between your computer and the cloud. So, even if the cloud provider had a problem, you most likely do have the files.

As far as loss of data goes, sure a house fire is rare. Break-ins are rare, drive failures are rare, floods are rare...but they all happen. Far too many people never back up the data and just assume the power button press will boot up their computer every time. For these types, cloud storage is a saving grace because it's automatic.

I have a safety desposit box in the bank and I can keep hard drives in there if I want to. But I don't see the need why I should. But I would definitely not take a chance with the cloud.
I keep a copy of my important data off site. Things like scanned receipts, warranty information, digital pictures, etc. My wife would want to kill me if I lost all of our pictures, the pictures of the kids, etc. So, why not keep a hard drive or two somewhere else with recent copies of this important data. With robocopy, my sync jobs run in about 2 minutes. At most, I've lost a handful of pictures taken since the last backup. I just keep my offsite drives in my desk at work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Cloud storage is a good concept if you know how to use it. It is designed for people on the go who needs access to work related files. Although it can be used for personal backup storage, the possiblity of someone having problems with it is greater that the possibility of your house getting burned down to the ground.
Well, with most cloud storage, it's a sync between your computer and the cloud. So, even if the cloud provider had a problem, you most likely do have the files.

As far as loss of data goes, sure a house fire is rare. Break-ins are rare, drive failures are rare, floods are rare...but they all happen. Far too many people never back up the data and just assume the power button press will boot up their computer every time. For these types, cloud storage is a saving grace because it's automatic.

I have a safety desposit box in the bank and I can keep hard drives in there if I want to. But I don't see the need why I should. But I would definitely not take a chance with the cloud.
I keep a copy of my important data off site. Things like scanned receipts, warranty information, digital pictures, etc. My wife would want to kill me if I lost all of our pictures, the pictures of the kids, etc. So, why not keep a hard drive or two somewhere else with recent copies of this important data. With robocopy, my sync jobs run in about 2 minutes. At most, I've lost a handful of pictures taken since the last backup. I just keep my offsite drives in my desk at work.

Don't get me wrong. I do backups too. But not the cloud way. And in fact, I don't also trust hard drives too much, every year I burn all the pictures in discs (this year I started burning in BDs for fewer discs to burn). I have all my photos backed up from 2003 ( that's when I first had a digital camera) to CDs, DVDs and now BDsn and still keep originals in hard drives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
I take a chance that my original as well as both offsite backup hard drives won't simultaneously fail. With USB 3.0 drives having higher performance and fairly low cost, I might even bust down some backups onto those. Optical drives are becoming more rare with the proliferation of ultrabooks and such. When I built my file server at home I didn't include an optical drive, just loaded from USB. My laptop and my wife's laptops are both Ultrabooks, and neither have an optical drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back