from win 7 to win 8

HI I want to up great from win 7 to win 8. do you know if i will loos my files and emails from outlook

Well. Options are available. Wait for the stable release if you may. But deciding to install WDP right now also will not be a problem at all. As long as you are able to spare separate drive (or even disk) then go for it. Managing boot loader is now can be done with no sweat, you can work with EasyBCD. And sure, all assistance are available here in this forum.
Always have your data managed safely.

Make up your mind, do it, no looking back ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron L1742S; LG Flatron 19"; Samsung TV 48"
    Screen Resolution
    1280:1024; 1366:768;1920:1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
I used to also like to install multiple operating systems on independent drives ans boot via the BIOS boot order. But that always meant to disconnect the other HDs = gymnastics under the desk.

Since I found EasyBCD which makes it so easy to manipulate the bootmgr, I like this method better. The gymnastics are now confined to operating the mouse. LOL.

I stand corrected. My son said that he could boot either Win7 or Linux by selecting them in the BIOS as long as they were on separate drives. Linux could see the Win7 drive but the opposite was not the case. With both operating systems ON THE SAME HARD DRIVE, he uses GRUB.
In the meantime, I tried to boot from a hard drive that has Win7 installed on it instead of the Win8 drive. I get an error of "missing bootmgr" which is the usual error when an operating system cannot be found.
WHS, I will try out EasyBCD instead. Thanks for the advice.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Have a look into Disk Management and find the 'active' partition. If that is not connected, you cannot boot. Post a pic if you need help.

Now if you made an independent installations (with only the installation disk attached) there should be an active partition on that too. If not, something is wrong. And if yes, then the MBR cannot find it and you need to reset the MBR.

In your son's installation, Win7 cannot find the Linux files because those are in a format that Windows does not understand. It needs NTFS or FAT.

For moving the bootmgr with EasyBCD, I made a little tutorial.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hi WHS,
Yep, I use disk management a fair bit to clean up the myriad drives that Windows creates with all of those small 190MB+ partitions. I know about active and primary partitions and they are all active as I installed an op sys with the DVD independently before adding them to my system ( I have 3 hard drives, 5TB). Only my boot drive says BOOT (and page file and system) on it though which is what your tutorial says EasyBCD will set for me if I change boot drives.
I downloaded EasyBCD and MIGHT give it a try just so I can occasionally boot from a Win7 drive in case of catastrophic reasons. I clone my drives regularly and have two more computers in the house that are still on Win7 so cannot think of a good reason (yet!). I was just surprised that they would not automatically boot if they were the only drive in the system (I will have to Google this).
Indeed, my son knows why Windows does not recognize Linux drives and has not bothered to patch it. I think I am finally winning him over to Win7 but he uses Linux at Kayak for system analysis so who knows? I did just give him my Diablo 3 beta invite (he was a RABID Diablo 2 fan and he squeaked with delight when I gave it to him (along with my WoW account with 10 lvl 80 toons on one server)) so he owes me AND will have to boot Windows to play.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
WHS,
K, I got curious and loaded in EasyBCD. I am able to successfully run Win7 on one of my other hard drives. Thank you! I am going to add a comment to your tutorial as I THINK it is missing a step and there was a something else I needed to do to complete the transition.
I still don't think I can boot from the other hard drive without the EasyBCD install drive running. I will try that later (unplug the SATA connector and try to boot from the drive I want to run Win7 from.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
WHS,
K, I got curious and loaded in EasyBCD. I am able to successfully run Win7 on one of my other hard drives. Thank you! I am going to add a comment to your tutorial as I THINK it is missing a step and there was a something else I needed to do to complete the transition.
I still don't think I can boot from the other hard drive without the EasyBCD install drive running. I will try that later (unplug the SATA connector and try to boot from the drive I want to run Win7 from.

Hmm, would be very interested to know what is missing in the tutorial. If you are right, I will update it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
WHS, I avoided changing your tutorial because I found that it was not how to USE EasyBCD but to change the bootmgr location. The things I wanted to add was how to USE EasyBCD (of course, I am sure they are in the instructions that I never bothered to read!)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
I am still puzzled. What particular instructions are you referring to. The tutorial shows the 4 clicks required and it does the job. What else should be added??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I am not sure IF I needed to do this but I have three operating systems installed on 3 drives. I only wanted to use two of them to dual-boot and not tri-boot. I needed to add to the "Edit boot menu" which other operating system on which drive to "add" to the list there and select which one would be the default.
Then I needed to go into the BCD Backup/Repair and select "change boot drive" then perform action. From then on, it was automatic.
Now I have no idea how you are supposed to use EasyBCD but that was enough for me to choose which operating system I wanted on boot up as it gave a list of the two I selected. I was amazed that I could upgrade Win7 to SP1 over a dual boot setup and that somehow EasyBCD completely ignores which drive I select in the BIOS when booting up. Powerful program (and I am glad I backed up before using it!)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866