Four months in, Windows 8 needs help

After four months of tepid Windows 8 PC sales, maybe it's time for Microsoft to make a few changes.

During a conversation I had this week with IDC analyst Bob O'Donnell, he volunteered the following statement, which sounded strangely like my experience.

There were certain decisions that Microsoft made that were in retrospect flawed. Notably not allowing people to boot into desktop mode and taking away the start button. Those two things have come up consistently. We've done some research and people miss that.

And there are a lot of people that as soon as they boot into Windows 8, they go to desktop mode and do most their work there and occasionally back to Metro. But the point being they're much more comfortable with desktop mode.

Source

A Guy

When I put this PC together in January I went with state of the art parts and OS. Unfortunetly I didn't do research on the OS like I did on components and got 64 bit win8. What an awful mistake that was. I sure wish I could "upgrade" to Win7.
The PC this one replaced has a slower cpu and less memory but with a SSD it boots almost as fast as this one.

Is there any rumors about a "classic" interface option being offered?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 and win 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom buil
    CPU
    3.50 gh Intel Core i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8z77
    Memory
    16 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
When I put this PC together in January I went with state of the art parts and OS. Unfortunetly I didn't do research on the OS like I did on components and got 64 bit win8. What an awful mistake that was. I sure wish I could "upgrade" to Win7.
The PC this one replaced has a slower cpu and less memory but with a SSD it boots almost as fast as this one.

Try this Welcome to Classic Shell and there are several more in case that one does not suite you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
8 is selling so badly, there is speculation MS may do it .

I am not sure. They might not and just keep trying to use a process of attrition to get their way.

There are lots of 3rd party medicines which attempt to alleviate the pain.

3 dozen or so I think.

Some are few bucks, one or two are free. There have been millions of downloads, surprise, surprise.

Classic Shell is a free one. Startisback is 3 bucks for 2 pc license.

STARTISBACK.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

What makes you think you can't?

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

Simply buy it and install? 7 is still readily available for people who don't want to learn new things. Btw. Had you bought 7 at the time, 8 Pro would have been a $15 upgrade. $15 more if you wanted the DVD.

And if what you are implying is that in your 'new PC'.. you don't have a SSD in the new system, then enough said.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile

Lol, you're funny.

Of course they will happen no matter what(allthough exactly when isn't set in stone, thats just rumors). And 8 is getting all the help its going to get with Blue.

Windows 9 can just be the system people hang their hat on as the 'stable' version' that prompts them to upgrade. And given you'll have millions more people using it from then off laptops/tablets then with touch, its all good.

I'm also quite sure there will be people who stick with 7 or XP simply because they have issues learning new stuff. Something about 'old dogs' and 'new tricks'.

If they do not make huge improvements with windows blue and Windows 9 resembles Windows 8 all the bad press will rub off to Windows 9 and become another Vista. You think M$ can stand two bombs in a row? It does not matter what you or I think about Windows 8 it is all the bad press that will make or brake windows. Yes Windows 7 may live for a very long time Windows 8 is the last version I will buy and only one copy at that Mint is looking real good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I think you will find a lot of people prefer it.

Nothing to do with learning new things. Just because you like it - that doesn't mean others will.

I like lifting weights. You have to learn it, it takes effort.

I do not deride those who don't do it as lazy/stupid/ or anything else.

What makes you think you can't?

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com

Simply buy it and install? 7 is still readily available for people who don't want to learn new things. Btw. Had you bought 7 at the time, 8 Pro would have been a $15 upgrade. $15 more if you wanted the DVD.

And if what you are implying is that in your 'new PC'.. you don't have a SSD in the new system, then enough said.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Lol, you're funny.

Of course they will happen no matter what(allthough exactly when isn't set in stone, thats just rumors). And 8 is getting all the help its going to get with Blue.

Windows 9 can just be the system people hang their hat on as the 'stable' version' that prompts them to upgrade. And given you'll have millions more people using it from then off laptops/tablets then with touch, its all good.

I'm also quite sure there will be people who stick with 7 or XP simply because they have issues learning new stuff. Something about 'old dogs' and 'new tricks'.

If they do not make huge improvements with windows blue and Windows 9 resembles Windows 8 all the bad press will rub off to Windows 9 and become another Vista. You think M$ can stand two bombs in a row? It does not matter what you or I think about Windows 8 it is all the bad press that will make or brake windows. Yes Windows 7 may live for a very long time Windows 8 is the last version I will buy and only one copy at that Mint is looking real good.

No.. i think that Windows 8 or 9 could put a man on the moon and you'd still hate it. And the only thing that 'breaks' Windows is if people leave the cabal. If you're in the cabal, they'll get you again sooner or later. WHERE ELSE YOU GONNA GO :>?! Going to Mint is like threatening to use a Hot Wheels car for your driving around needs, instead of the real thing.

The acceptance rate of Windows 8 on Workstation PC's is simply not as important as you'd like us to believe(especially now that Microsoft has a hit with the Surface Pro pulling massive amounts of profit), anymore than the doomsayers of Vista ended up 'making or breaking' Windows. They didn't.

The key is getting people used to touch in the Windows enviornment and all the benefits it can provide(which then bleeds back to the desktop as some people go with a touchscreen). That will take a while, and Microsoft is in this for the long haul. You really do have no place else to go. Mac is being wound down, iOS is limited in what it can do, and Chrome OS is half an operating system with no real applications other than a web browser.

My Computer

System One

• OS
"And if what you are implying is that in your 'new PC'.. you don't have a SSD in the new system, then enough said."

Chrisa

Instead of listing each component I said "state of the art".

Sorry I did not say specifically state it has a SSD.

I'm not against learning new things.
I was in line at midnight at Comp-USA waiting for the release of WINDOWS 95 and have had every version since except Vista that some also think was a bomb.

I have installed "Classic Start" and it helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 and win 8
    Custom buil
    CPU
    3.50 gh Intel Core i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8z77
    Memory
    16 MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard
I wonder if its possible to fork Windows 8 and have one called Windows 8 for Dummies. They could put a tile on the Start Screen called, For Dummies, and that would bring back the Start Menu.

For the 1 percenters just delete the tile.

This is not meant to be derogatory in any way, it's just that the 90 percenters are ruining the experience for the 1 percenters.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
So what happens if a Windows user buys an iPad, they take it back the next day because it hasn't got Classic Shell.

Now I'm starting to understand why people can't use Android, they're Windows users.

Sorry Windows users, I meant the 90% that can't use anything else.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
The key is getting people used to touch in the Windows enviornment and all the benefits it can provide
What are those benefits on the desktop - I really fail to see that. The arguments are now getting ridiculous.

I have an Android tablet, and even that I often run with a BT keyboard and a mouse. Touch is good for an occasional lookup of something, but it is pretty useless if you want to get things done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The key is getting people used to touch in the Windows enviornment and all the benefits it can provide
What are those benefits on the desktop - I really fail to see that. The arguments are now getting ridiculous.

I have an Android tablet, and even that I often run with a BT keyboard and a mouse. Touch is good for an occasional lookup of something, but it is pretty useless if you want to get things done.
I'd love to see you sitting at a McDonalds with your $80 7" tablet with a 20" keyboard and mouse. Come on whs stop with the funny stories already, you're cracking me up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 99

My Computer

System One

• OS

Most people don't even have a clue how to run the Windows 8 GUI with Touch beyond the absolutely obvious. So I completely agree that you won't see those benefits, until you're actually interested in learning something new. Windows 8 is one of the few Windows Operating Systems that I would highly suggest that a book about its UI is of great value.

Touch tends to bring you closer to the interface, the mouse is a bit more standoff-ish. The mouse still has its benefits, and nobody is getting rid of it.. but for screen jockeying, a person proficient in touch and the mechanics of windows 8 is far more proficient at controlling the interface.

In the future, people will learn touch first, pen second, mouse third, keyboard fourth.

You'll also find that mirrors the fidelity of human interface development. Why do you think iPads are so popular with babies?

They can't work a mouse to save their lives, but they just love to touch things and have stuff happen. Then they love to draw on things. Then they get enough motor control to work a mouse. Only then do they have enough cognitive ability and language to work a keyboard.

It doesn't change when you're an adult. Its always just more natural to simply touch things to make them work. You've simply been trained to use a mouse when working with the desktop, and while its not optimal.. its what you know and a habit that won't break easily(or maybe at all). We roll back to that 'old dogs' axiom. The kids won't have any trouble adapting to the new paradigm, and they'll laugh at gramps as he fumbles with his mouse to get things done.

My Computer

System One

• OS

I remember when people said the same things about a remote control for a TV, what do you need one of those for, just get up and change channels, although admittedly there are still people struggling with remotes.

What does it matter if you don't see the benefits, what about someone else, the world is not about you, it's about a whole conglomeration of people with different needs. That's the differentiator between Apple and Microsoft, Apple gives you no choice it's their way or the highway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The only problem with Windows 8, is that lots of people dont learn to use it. If you want to boot directly to the desktop, it is very easy to fix that. If you want the start meny back, there are several versions to choose from. But the fact is that lots of things work better and faster with Metro. One month into Windows 8, on two laptops, it is the most effective and enjoyable I have had on any computer or OS.

Problem with that is most users are not tech savy and don't want to bother with that. Should be easy out of the box. They should of just included a optional desktop ui that's like win 7 in the first place instead of having to do this all your self which most normal users would not think of so it's easier to just stay with a os like 7 or vista or hell xp for those who still use it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Prenium 64bit sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    me
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz (OC) @ 3.6GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2
    Memory
    4096MB RAM DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    Sound Card
    (VIA High Definition Audio)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22 HD LED TV Polaroid and 17 LED Monitor Dual screen
    Screen Resolution
    Led tv(main) 1920x1080 60Hz /Monitor 1280x1024 60Hz
    Hard Drives
    500Gb western digital
    PSU
    CORSAIR CX600 600w
    Case
    AZZA gaming case with red led fans
    Cooling
    4fans and cool master hyper TX3 cpu cooler
    Keyboard
    Microsoft USB Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 (IntelliType Pro)
    Mouse
    G400 Logitech
    Internet Speed
    5.5mb
    Browser
    IE 10/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Secuirty
The only problem with Windows 8, is that lots of people dont learn to use it. If you want to boot directly to the desktop, it is very easy to fix that. If you want the start meny back, there are several versions to choose from. But the fact is that lots of things work better and faster with Metro. One month into Windows 8, on two laptops, it is the most effective and enjoyable I have had on any computer or OS.

Problem with that is most users are not tech savy and don't want to bother with that. Should be easy out of the box. They should of just included a optional desktop ui that's like win 7 in the first place instead of having to do this all your self which most normal users would not think of so it's easier to just stay with a os like 7 or vista or hell xp for those who still use it.

Its better if they show tough love while the users detox from the mouse-driven era. If you really want, there are 3rd party solutions that will help you cope :>.

My Computer

System One

• OS
What does it matter if you do think there are benefits - what about everybody else. That is the point.

Allow choice of boot to desktop and some kind of start menu - or start screen .

That would be ok for everyone. It would also help MS sell this thing.

MS decided to thrust start screen at everyone as often as possible - they benefit of course - no coincidence it is littered with bing apps. and other MS attempts to get the users to their clouds.

That is what it is for.

At least google were up front when they said nexus is intended for accessing google proprietary content

I remember when people said the same things about a remote control for a TV, what do you need one of those for, just get up and change channels, although admittedly there are still people struggling with remotes.

What does it matter if you don't see the benefits, what about someone else, the world is not about you, it's about a whole conglomeration of people with different needs. That's the differentiator between Apple and Microsoft, Apple gives you no choice it's their way or the highway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What does it matter if you do think there are benefits - what about everybody else. That is the point.

MS decided to thrust start screen at everyone as often as possible - they benefit of course - no coincidence it is littered with bing apps. and other MS attempts to get the users to their clouds.

That is what it is for.

At least google were up front when they said nexus is intended for accessing google proprietary content

I'm starting to come to grips with your way of thinking SIW2, this is what some people need for a long time. Okay I'm good with that, as long as its optional, I don't need em.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 124

My Computer

System One

• OS
It is not a question of training wheels, as you well know.

It is a question of the best tool for the UI/user.

If the choice is there - then you can have whichever you like at the time - set whichever you like as default.

If you really want an app. launcher popping up and covering what you are doing - littered with exhortations to MS proprietary schemes - then you can have it.

That is what it is for.

I'm starting to come to grips with your way of thinking SIW2, this is what some people need for a long time. Okay I'm good with that, as long as its optional, I don't need em.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

I'd love to see you sitting at a McDonalds with your $80 7" tablet with a 20" keyboard and mouse. Come on whs stop with the funny stories already, you're cracking me up.
First of all, my tablet is a 32GB Nexus 7 that cost $230. The little $59 tablet I had setup for a while was a gift for a kid.

Secondly, I don't go to McDonald. I come from a civilized background where people eat proper food.

Thirdly, my keyboard is a Motorola Keyboard that measures 29cm wide and 14cm deep.

And lastly, stop being such an unpleasant person. You have to learn proper manners and respect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back