Solved Extracting specific files from Windows install image (install.wim)

Midori

Due to my previous modifications to the system, my Windows is missing the wuaueng.dll file, among others related to the Windows Update service. I am trying to restore that file manually (SFC/DISM keep failing for some reason) by locating it inside the install.wim image and extracting it. Unfortunately it seems to be absent inside the image (on the path /Windows/system32). Where should i be looking for it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Home Edition
You can try this:
I have used it several times and it worked on several different OS's.

EDIT:
Or look here:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv6
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    8 GB
    Browser
    Palemoon 33.x
The first tool didn't restore any files, so it's useless unfortunately. The second one doesn't have a version matching Windows 8.1 so I'm unsure why i'd want to use it.

I appreciate the effort, but if i could just manually extract the file i need it'd be simpler for me, so my initial question still stands.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Home Edition
First go here and download SFCFix and run it. Save it to your desktop because it may create a file where it is run from.
It may automatically fix some or all SFC errors.

If that doesn't help then go here, and go to step 2:

You will first have to set up an account at Sysnative and follow the instructions posting the files they request.
There are many good people there that can fix any corruptions you may have.
Be patient on a reply because they are very busy there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 Core
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv6
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    8 GB
    Browser
    Palemoon 33.x
Due to my previous modifications to the system, my Windows is missing the wuaueng.dll file, among others related to the Windows Update service. I am trying to restore that file manually (SFC/DISM keep failing for some reason) by locating it inside the install.wim image and extracting it. Unfortunately it seems to be absent inside the image (on the path /Windows/system32). Where should i be looking for it?
I'm not sure the specifics for every file you need, I mean, some may be on a fresh install, and some may appear only after specific updates.

If you have access to another computer, or if the current one runs VirtualBox, you may try creating a virtual machine and proceed accordingly with a fresh install.

Another option is downloading the file from the web, Microsoft has some files flying around, and there are other sites (non official) hosting others too, specially DDL files, but sure, security is a problem in that case. Same goes to having someone sending you those files from their systems.

What about downloading a full install? I know Microsoft offered in the past virtual machines ready for testing diff aspects of the system, including web browsers, probably W8 won't be easy to find, but it's worth sharing the word.

It's probably too late but consider full backups.

So far, I think a virtual machine may be the best way to go to avoid a full reinstall.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 / Windows 10
Unfortunately it seems to be absent inside the image (on the path /Windows/system32). Where should i be looking for it?
There is an associated language specific .mui file needed too. These are the file locations from a working install of W8.1 (English International, aka en-gb).

1709990470681.png

Here they are in the Install.wim from my Win8.1_EnglishInternational_x64.iso, which mounts as IR5_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-GB_DV9, exploring it with 7-Zip File Manager. You can get an ISO direct from Microsoft here: Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File)

1709991956494.png

1709992050204.png

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Hyper-V
Thank you so much, this has finally helped! I was trying to locate these files inside the install.wim from my recovery partition instead of a separate system image, and they didn't seem to be present there. Now i have everything i need, thank you again

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Home Edition
Back