Error 0x80073cf9 while downloading apps form windows store

This problem is clearly widespread, based on various sites I have visited now looking for a solution. It appears that some apps will start to download and install after previously refusing to do so, but it is not predictable or repeatable. I have been having this problem, won't update apps or download new apps (just says "pending" or "downloading" but isn't doing either) and gives the same error message eventually. Tried leaving the update page open for over an hour (one suggestion that seems to work for some people). That didn't work for me. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be an early adopter, I guess. I don't see a realistic solution right now and I will likely be taking my new machine back to the retailer and getting a Win 7 machine instead - which is disappointing, but why pay a lot of money for something that doesn't work and makes me pull my hair out looking for work-arounds?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I am getting the same error when trying to get any apps. I did find that folder was missing from c:\Windows. This is so disappointing. I had hoped they would fix a lot of this from beta.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus UX31A
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3517
    Motherboard
    N/A
    Memory
    4 gig