Enable Custom Themes: Patch uxtheme.dll using UltraUXThemePatcher

well. this seems to be somewhat along the lines of replacing wrong dlls with original ones and then setting style to Aero - yet in my case after that I still had issue with flickering screen :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I had the same problem of the screen flickering black on boot after updating Windows 8. The steps below use what I had available(2 networked PCs). You could do this using several others methods. I was able to solve this by doing two main things:

1. Copy the three theme files(themeui.dll, UXInit.dll and uxtheme.dll) from another Windows 8 machine's windows\system32 folder.
1a. I did this by using pstools(psexec \\machine cmd.exe) on another machine to remote shell into the machine then cd to windows\system32 then rename those three files to .old like move themeui.dll themeui.dll.old. I used command because windows was giving me permission warnings and such.
1b. Copy the new theme files to the machine using \\machinename\c$\windows\system32.

2. Connect to the network registry of the machine to change the default theme back to Aero.msstyles.
2a. Start -> Run -> type regedit. File -> Connect to network registry. Input remote machine and connect to load the hive.
3. Search for key ThemeManager and make sure your values for DllName are set back to default(%SystemRoot%\resources\themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles). I had one key set to the a theme at location HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager. I looked under HK_LocalMachine and All Users at the location \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager to verify they were all default as different themes change it at different places.

Hello friend, I had to register to say a big thank you for giving me an idea of how to resolve the same problem. You just saved me a world of pain. I just used an alternate approach though, luckily the patcher made backups of the dlls on my system so I used my Windows 8 DVD and command prompt to restore old files. To edit the registry I started regedit from the command prompt and loaded my registry hives and corrected the theme entries like that. I had 2 entries one under my ntuser.dat and one under default registry hive. Anyway, thanks again for this post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
uxtheme.dll Patchers don't work well at all with Windows eight. Even the theme expert's Patcher Raphael's UxStyle) doesn't work properly.

Slows a lot of system functions After Updates, black screens. Even if you patch with clean .dll doesn't always work.

Was a lot more fun customizing with seven :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMCE
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Monster Rig
    CPU
    Intel® 4th Generation Core™ 4770K Unlocked Quad Core
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87 A ATX LGA1150
    Memory
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GeForce GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 941MHZ 3GB 6.0GHZ
    Sound Card
    Realtek Azalia ALC-892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster SA850
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Solid-State,
    Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB Solid-State Hard Drive,
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2x 1TB 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB
    PSU
    Corsair Gold fully Modular 80 Plus 850
    Case
    Coolermaster Half X Full Tower
    Cooling
    Thermaltake CPU Cooler CLP0556
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Roccat Savu Wired
    Internet Speed
    30 MB
    Browser
    Firefox 31
    Antivirus
    NOD 7
    Other Info
    My fridge has a water tap
    My cat is schizophrenic
    I have a craving for new drivers
UxStyle_sep23_x86_x64_possibly_bugged

I used this to get custom themes working, now I have a huge problem. My display is 1080p and if I try to set display dpi, the display flashes every few seconds. Does anyone know what files this replaces so I can copy the good ones back from another HDD? I know it says it does not, but something messed up after I did the uninstall.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
Here is what I have found so far:
I uninstalled Classic Shell after searching through all the services and stopping this one.
Uninstalled Classic Shell and reinstalled and things seem to be working reasonably well now.

Getting some crazy reaction from the normal themes that were being used prior to the problem; black taskbar that cannot be changed. I have the original RTM theme installed and it has a transparent taskbar that it didn't have before.

If anyone discovers the files that UxStyle replaces, it sure would be helpful.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
I would suggest uninstalling Classic Shell prior to installing UxTheme Patch and then reinstalling Classic Shell after installing the patch... end of story.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
Back