DVD-R burning more then 1 hour! Super slow Burning DVD-R

I've used ImgBurn since 1.0. Also I've found doing verifies to be a complete waste of time. I've never found any correlation between a verify run and how a disc plays or reads in a drive.

Edit: in fact about the only real use I have for erasable discs is for burning a DVD5 version to check it out in a player before burning a DVD9.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Raedon 340 MB dedicated Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
Oh, I have learned to live by verifying the disk. Windows Explorer WILL give you an error message if Verification fails.

I have to "Burn and Run" - I mean, I have to burn a particular disk, and drive to a shop and work on a system. If the disk I just burnt was not quite right, that's a whole wasted day, especially if I have to drive 50 miles or more.

I used to not bother, until this happened so many times it was counterproductive, I HAVE to have a viable disk, some of these places have NO internet.

It takes time to do it, but most new DVD/CD writers read fast. The Lite On in this system here, verifies the image in one minute for a SL DVD, it takes maybe 5 minutes for a DL DVD. Its much faster for CD disks.

(Actually, like to use rewritables for jobs like that, and I have dozens of DVD and CDRWs laying around. But they are just not RELIABLE, they do not read in every machine, and even on some machines, I popped one in, and it WOULD NOT READ it and insisted I download a program to allow packet reading and writing. That sound right? Anyway I can buy 3 Phillips CDs for 99 cents at the 99 cent store, 30 for 10 bucks)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
If it works for you I encourage you to continue. Perhaps it made no matter to my burns because I bought a string of HP Media Center PCs. I tried verifications, burn quality graphs, yadda yadda. The only indication I found that mattered was putting the disc in a player.

But things work differently on different hardware.

Edit: In my experience if I got a number of bad burns it was almost always due to my system not liking the media. Even from one HP desktop with burner from the same maker, slightly different model, I'd have to feed it different brands of DVD+R. I found with most off the shelf discs it was nearly impossible to know who really made them. Sometimes I got lucky with OfficeMax Verbatim 16x DVD+R spindles but those 5 and 10 packs, forget it. Spindles from Supermediastore and Meritline worked best for me for the most part.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3