Mouse
    microsoft wieless mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    13/16mbs
    Browser
    IE Firefox Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I NEED HELP WITH INDOWS 8 DEVELOPER PREVIEW(JUST INSTALLED). I CAN'T FIND MY DVD DRIVE. SO, NO CDS WORK. :think:

You could try the fixes on this page Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs or try updating your chipset drivers as that will update the storage drivers - for intel go here : http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Unfortunately doing both of those things hasn't worked for me. I've also tried copying the cdrom.sys file (in Windows, System 32, Drivers) from Windows 7 to 8 but that hasn't worked either. Not sure what else to do really, just hope somebody will have a solution

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64, Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Zoostorm
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @2.33GHz
    Memory
    4GB
If you have AHCI enabled in the bios you might need to update storage controller software/driver :

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology&ProdId=2101&LineId=1090&FamilyId=40

Other then that a firmware upgrade for the DVD drive might work - you can use compatibility mode for this upgrade if it gives an error when you try to install it normally :

To install a driver/program or firmware in compatibility mode - right click the setup.exe file - click properties - click compatibility - check run in compatibility with vista or w7 etc. - check run as administrator - leave the rest blank. Start setup.exe and install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Notebook N53SV Series
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-2630 CPU @ 2.0GHz /turbo 2.9Hz
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT540M
    Sound Card
    realtek
    Screen Resolution
    1366/768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500gb 5400
    Keyboard
    microsoft wireless keyboard 3000 v2
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    13/16mbs
    Browser
    IE Firefox Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I also have this problem. I have been on the other thread and tried everything, no fix. No big problem I can go back to Windows 7, but i cannot do anything about other device drivers until I get the optical drive working. Again everything is fine in W7, so it is a glitch in W8, not our motherboards. I am still in awe of the people who can write the code for these things!. I shall keep an eye on the thread to see if anything changes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro with Media Center/Windows 7 home pre plus
    self
    CPU
    Intel Pentium E5800-LGA775
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT430
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer X193W
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 990
    Hard Drives
    primary 1TB serial ata
    secondary 80GB parallel ata
    Internet Speed
    2500kbs
    Other Info
    Multi boot system, Windows7 ( 64 bit )/ Windows 8 pro ( 64 bit )/ Windows XP sp3 ( 32 bit )/ Ubuntu 64 bit.
Solved my problem for the most part yesterday. Both drives use IDE bus, one master, one slave. I pulled the DVD player out of the loop. I have now only the DVDRW. I powered up, and bingo! Win8cp saw the RW drive. I decided not to try to get both drives to show by playing around with the jumpers on the drives, but when I do, I'll post the results. For now, I was satisfied with just the one RW drive. Good luck all and thank you for your time

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8CP
Well, today I tried this : I opened my computer and I switch my Dvdram from SATA 1 to SATA 4, I restart it and when I looked mycomputer,in Windows 8, my Dvd was in place ! Now everything is fine… You must try it,not only disconnect and reconnect, but change the place. I hope it will helps anybody.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 consumer preview
    Microsoft windows 8 consumer preview
    CPU
    QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300, 2000 MHz (6 x 333)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT v1.1 (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR3 DIMM, Audi
    Memory
    3292 Mo (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Jeu de puces Express Intel(R) G41 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) (1456378 Ko)
Well my Optical drive is an old IDE, not sata, and it is on the same lead as an old IDE hard drive that has XP on it. So hard drive is set to master and dvd to slave, and there is the problem.
I went to LG to download the latest driver , and it must be set to Master, so I have disconnected the old hard drive, set the optical drive to master, and I have my drive now showing and working. But if I want to use my old XP drive the optical drive has to be set to slave. I shall switch it back and see what happenes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro with Media Center/Windows 7 home pre plus
    self
    CPU
    Intel Pentium E5800-LGA775
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT430
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer X193W
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 990
    Hard Drives
    primary 1TB serial ata
    secondary 80GB parallel ata
    Internet Speed
    2500kbs
    Other Info
    Multi boot system, Windows7 ( 64 bit )/ Windows 8 pro ( 64 bit )/ Windows XP sp3 ( 32 bit )/ Ubuntu 64 bit.
Awesome help from brummyfan regarding the DEVICE MANAGER! Everything worked great when I loaded Windows 8 except my DVD/CD. Thanks so much!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit
I have the same problem and I just did a (lengthy) refresh. still doesn't see it. 7 & XP see it fine... Please Help...... :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 rtm 8400
    home built
    CPU
    Quad Core AMD Athlon X4 640 3.0ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gfroce 8600 GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 19"
    Hard Drives
    WD 750 Windows 8
    WD 500 Windows 7
    WD 40 Windows XP
    Cooling
    Air
    Internet Speed
    Cable
i changed my SATA port. It worked. That was very much helpful from this forum after the miseries i was through last two days. thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Cd drive on PC no longer works after instal of windows 8

Hi
I've just installed windows 8. Among one of the many problems I appear to have encountered with the installation is the fact that my cd drive no longer works on my PC.

I cannot access a fix online as it does not also recognise my netgear USB wireless adaptor. I have put the netgear cd to reinstall but the disc does not appear. I have also put a cd in to check the drive and cannot get that to play.
Having looked at fixes for windows 7 etc I can locate device manager but cannot see a section on DVD/CD ROM To reinstall.

Help would be appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Disconnecting one of my sata hard drives for me worked - I rebooted with it missing - then the dvd drive showed, then reconnected the hard drive and all good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Notebook N53SV Series
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-2630 CPU @ 2.0GHz /turbo 2.9Hz
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT540M
    Sound Card
    realtek
    Screen Resolution
    1366/768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500gb 5400
    Keyboard
    microsoft wireless keyboard 3000 v2
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    13/16mbs
    Browser
    IE Firefox Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I Have A Problem. Need Help Please!! I have A Customized Computer Desktop That I Traded For A Laptop.The Desktop I Turned On And Everything Was There. Then They Disappeared In My Computer And Bios. Tried Mostly Everything, But Didn't Tried Installing A New Copy Of Windows, Cause Can't Boot From CD/DVD Rom, Tried USB But Its Not Recognizing USB. Could It Be My Motherboard? A Friend Told
Me That The Windows That The Other Owner Installed Was In On Drive D Not C. Could That Be it?..Please Help!

KIMG0014.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell
    Memory
    4. GB