• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Since I'm not even CLOSE to being techie, I'll stick with the easy way...just 2 win8's on one machine. I'll give it a whirl this weekend. Can't remember why or what I was doing this for but when I started up my new computer I just kept hitting f12 and was able to go into bios...I remember it saying UEFI somewhere...so that's all I would have to do to boot into the second drive, right? Just hit f12?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 660
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce gt430
Since I'm not even CLOSE to being techie, I'll stick with the easy way...just 2 win8's on one machine. I'll give it a whirl this weekend. Can't remember why or what I was doing this for but when I started up my new computer I just kept hitting f12 and was able to go into bios...I remember it saying UEFI somewhere...so that's all I would have to do to boot into the second drive, right? Just hit f12?

No, let Repair run first.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2843-automatic-repair-run-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Argh, now that's starting to make me feel like I shouldn't bother now, I'm so afraid of screwing with the #1 HD. Seems too complicated for this brain.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce gt430
Your Bios may have an option called CSM. For a Windows 8 Secure Boot it needs to be disabled. If you have the option to enable it and make sure the settings are correct, you should be able to boot into Windows 7, assuming your configuration works otherwise.

On my ASUS Z77 board, if I have secure boot enabled, and boot into Windows 7, it sends me back to the bios and tells me a change has been made for compatibility. The change is to enable the CSM, and after that Windows 7 boots fine.

I however, do not have a new Windows 8 OEM system to test. And there will be problems with things like Graphics cards not being able to pass the Secure Boot test.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
as I said in my other post .it didn't stop my win7 dvd from booting ,but I may have something to do with it being done on a 5 year old Dell maybe not , im not sure if secure boot is in the bios or other chip on new motherboard
Yeah, I have a mobile rack and just slot a 2nd drive into it, swap the drives over in BIOS and boot.

What 'theog' is saying is the problems start on new machines with UEFI and Secure Boot, as it won't let you do that. To be honest UEFI sounds like a bit of a pain.

I assume that businesses who to use full disc encryption will only be able to use Bitlocker as well?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64-bit
Your Bios may have an option called CSM. For a Windows 8 Secure Boot it needs to be disabled. If you have the option to enable it and make sure the settings are correct, you should be able to boot into Windows 7, assuming your configuration works otherwise.

On my ASUS Z77 board, if I have secure boot enabled, and boot into Windows 7, it sends me back to the bios and tells me a change has been made for compatibility. The change is to enable the CSM, and after that Windows 7 boots fine.

I however, do not have a new Windows 8 OEM system to test. And there will be problems with things like Graphics cards not being able to pass the Secure Boot test.

as I said in my other post .it didn't stop my win7 dvd from booting ,but I may have something to do with it being done on a 5 year old Dell maybe not , im not sure if secure boot is in the bios or other chip on new motherboard
Yeah, I have a mobile rack and just slot a 2nd drive into it, swap the drives over in BIOS and boot.

What 'theog' is saying is the problems start on new machines with UEFI and Secure Boot, as it won't let you do that. To be honest UEFI sounds like a bit of a pain.

I assume that businesses who to use full disc encryption will only be able to use Bitlocker as well?

all needs to done right, you may end up with a BRICK.

Xameleon said:
i have sucessfully downgrade to windows 7 on a sony vaio but i have a big problem because im idiot
please help me to find a solution
i cant edit bios settings or boot from other device
i install windows 7 MBR not GPT and i set on bios uefi off
i dont care if uefi is on or off just need to have access on my bios
i havent backup of windows 8 preinstalled os so i cant do anythink :/
please help me!:cry::cry::cry:

btw not available bios update from sony for my model :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
That's why I think I'm not going to bother, darn it, really liked having the other hard drive with it's own OS on it but life goes on...I'll leave it in my other computer and just bring it up from the cellar if it's ever really needed. Sorry I opened a can of worms here! :doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron 660
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce gt430
Back