Solved Dual Boot Problem No. 2

1) Physically remove the HDD from the My WD MyBook, & refit to another caddy to test.
2) Try formating the My WD MyBook.

Thanks, Theo:

I've already considered removing the drive from MyBook, but it looks like it's sealed. At least, there are no visible screws on the exterior. So, I think that's out.

I've noticed that I'm frequently asked to format it, but until I got everything I need, I didn't want to do that. Now that I do have it, I'll format when it asks me again.

One other question:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
And now I think we can consider this one solved. MyBook is now formatted and happily showing up in both Windows 7 and Windows 8. So is the New Volume G: (renamed to StorageDrive (G:\).

Thank you, zNod for holding my hand through this. You've offered me encouragement while I learned.

And thank you, Theog, for the practical help I needed so much. I learned a lot from you, oh man of few words. :cool:

And, although the Paragon Rescue Disk for what I needed is free, I will certainly buy the full Pro version. Without it, I would have been SOL.

I know there should be somewhere I can give credit for the help I've been given, but I can't find it. I know I've seen it. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
You are very welcome for my small part. I knew how you felt. You know what you are doing, I know. But, how about a backup of a backup--if that's what it would have taken for you to be safe? Your circumstances seemed very unusual to me. But, that's why I have backups of backups--which won't work given a house fire. Still, I always have dropbox holding the things I couldn't live without. Unfortunately, I don't think the cloud is safe either. But, all together, maybe what I really need will survive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
You're not the first to tell me I need a backup of a backup. What is strange to me is that I thought of MyBook as my backup, but it wasn''t. Not really, but it's portable and when I left home for a trip, it was always packed up with me, so it was safe. NOT!

Now, I have my data on MyBook, StorageDrive (G:\) and on SkyDrive. I started out with 2 or 5 GB of storage there, then it went to 7 GB and when it went commercial, I was notified that I could have 25 GB for free. So, I said OK, of course.

I still have to figure out SkyDrive, but when things work right, every change I make to data that I put there is syncronized when I change it. So now I'm hopefully very redundant. What is good is that most of the data will remain static except for what I regularly work on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
You're not the first to tell me I need a backup of a backup. What is strange to me is that I thought of MyBook as my backup, but it wasn''t. Not really, but it's portable and when I left home for a trip, it was always packed up with me, so it was safe. NOT!

Now, I have my data on MyBook, StorageDrive (G:\) and on SkyDrive. I started out with 2 or 5 GB of storage there, then it went to 7 GB and when it went commercial, I was notified that I could have 25 GB for free. So, I said OK, of course.

I still have to figure out SkyDrive, but when things work right, every change I make to data that I put there is syncronized when I change it. So now I'm hopefully very redundant. What is good is that most of the data will remain static except for what I regularly work on.
Good deal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's