Did we all just witness Windows start to die?

The idea of "the death of the PC" is just that -- it's an idea. It's a hook that, if you believe in it (and I do), it can be quite informative about what seems to be happening to the PC industry, and the wider computer industry in which it sits.
But most people do not like the complexity that comes with power and flexibility. Some people just want to give their parents a box that lets them have a video call with the grandkids from time-to-time, and don't want to have to futz around configuring anti-virus software.
The reason why people buy smartphones and tablets isn't because they are necessary better or more worthy than PCs. People buy them because they now have the option to -- i.e. they can.
Go back five years and there was no choice. That last example of grandparents Skyping the grandkids -- that would have needed a PC. Now it can be done with a free-on-contract smartphone. Or an iPad, a Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, etc.
Surface RT was, by design, a good enough post-PC device implementation to compete with iPad and Android in that post-PC market. It ticked enough boxes to make a good showing -- certainly more boxes than Old Windows did.
But we know that Surface RT, and Windows RT has failed in terms of numbers.
More importantly, Surface RT also failed in terms of philosophy, taking the whole of the Windows 8 Project with it. The principle of the project -- namely that the post-PC was getting it wrong and that people were desperately after a "PC Plus" -- has now been shown to be flawed.
Microsoft has to stop selling Windows as a competitor to the iPad, and start selling Windows Phone as a competition to iPhone and iPad, and also as competition to Android smartphones and tablets.
Or to put it another way, if you're looking to compete in a market of oranges, maybe go out there with oranges, rather than try and convince people that they actually want lemons.
Did we all just witness Windows start to die? | ZDNet

I really don't understand all the hate for windows 8, I've had zero problems running it. I've tried all the start menu replacements and every time I've gone back to using the start screen. Why? Because I find it faster and more efficient...my system flies along and is the best it's ever been.

I had to use my brothers computer last week to install some things and sort a few problems out that he had. He was running windows 7, and I could not believe how awkward it felt. Everything seemed more hard work to get things done, and file explorer is next to useless... I actually missed the ribbon! lol

I tried Linux once, and again I found it too much hard work just to be able to get the simplest task done. I very much doubt the masses would convert to it, not unless they make things easier.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
Hi there
The main problem with Windows 8 is that it's just plain STUPID for Enterprise type work where you need to create a lot of content, have many windows open at the same time and don't really have any need for either TOUCH or the whole Metro stuff.

Installing large complex BUSINESS type applications makes navigating those horrendous tiles absolutely ridiculous -- every stupid .EXE file creates a tile which is just slung anywhere on the desktop - not necessarily within the application group you are installing. For BUSINESS use this whole mess requires far too much Post Install clean up work and the whole navigation stuff is just PLAIN BONKERS for enterprises.

The whole progression for Windows 8 is towards simple quick full screen transactional stuff -- rather like you'd use on a tablet or a mobile phone.

A lot of CONTENT CREATION isn't done that way at all -- for example you could have large complex CAD 3-D engineering drawings over several HUGE monitors or even a simple application like Document translation. Remove the Windowed concept away from Windows and the whole thing becomes essentially useless.

What about I.T developers who want to step through and debug code say in Visual studio -- without some sort of multi-windowed approach where they can examine and change variables and set further break points I think their job might be quite difficult.

Work places use desktops like classical computers and NOT overgrown tablets or mobile phones.

There's nothing wrong with the performance of W8 - and you can make it useable if you have a FEW applications only on it - but no business is going to rush out and buy 3,000 copies of Start8 or similar to add a feature to an OS they expect to be fit for purpose straight out of the box.

Incidentally a lot of these 3rd party apps are fine for home users - but they aren't reliable or robust enough for large organisations. Imagine coming in to work on a Monday morning and finding out due to some ms updates applied over the weekend your computer is just a big Door Stop -- and the I.T admins are away in India who don't seem to have a problem (possibly because they are still running the PRE updates) and not available until Lunch time etc etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
The thing is, Lee, that many are intimidated by Linux. But those that aren't, and who value the 'desktop experience' will soon switch if MS continues to devolve the 'desktop' in favour of small, under-powered, under-featured tablets & hybrids.

No, it won't see Linux become No 1. But it would give it a good boost.

Also, I agree with those who believe Linux (or rather, its developers) is its own worst enemy.

They need to select ONE distro, and all concentrate on that. Fragmentation is a big problem for Linux.

I have just converted 3 of my windows 7 PCs to Linux Mint Cinnamon, and they will stay that way.

What pushed me into this, was not that there is anything wrong with Windows 7; It was the direction M$ have taken with Win8, the shutting down of Technet, and the fact that M$ seems to have no clue what its customers want or need.

Granted, these PCs are only used for media type functions, and various centralized functions, but it's start of a greater change of direction for this household. I'm already finalizing plans to change my Win 2008 R2 to a Red Hat server product.

I really only played with Linux seriously 15 years ago (back in the days of the 2.2 kernel). It took me all of half a day to pick it up again. But then, I'm a tech head.

I agree with your view on fragmentation.

Tanya

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Made
    CPU
    Intel I7-3770K running @ OC 4.6ghz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Extreme6 Z77
    Memory
    32GB G-Skill CL10Q @ 2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX670 SC 4gb
    Sound Card
    Creative XFI Fataility Platinum
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27" x 2 E2742-BV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (OS) SATA 3
    1TB WD1000EARX SATA 3 Data
    WD15EADS 1.5TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX650 Silver Professional Series
    Case
    HAF 932 ADV
    Cooling
    Corair H100 liquid cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110 Gamer keyboard
    Mouse
    Razor Mamba
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 2+ 20.0mbps
    Other Info
    Gigabit infrastructure; Cabling, switches; DSL2750B Modem/Router All PCs connect to Windows 2008 R2 server for website, coldfusion, SQL, Firebird and media sharing & WSUS
I have just converted 3 of my windows 7 PCs to Linux Mint Cinnamon, and they will stay that way.

Yes, I quite like Mint Cinnamon.

I have Mint Mate as well, but haven't had the time to play with it much.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
The thing is, Lee, that many are intimidated by Linux. But those that aren't, and who value the 'desktop experience' will soon switch if MS continues to devolve the 'desktop' in favour of small, under-powered, under-featured tablets & hybrids.

No, it won't see Linux become No 1. But it would give it a good boost.

Also, I agree with those who believe Linux (or rather, its developers) is its own worst enemy.

They need to select ONE distro, and all concentrate on that. Fragmentation is a big problem for Linux.

What pushed me into this, was not that there is anything wrong with Windows 7; It was the direction M$ have taken with Win8, the shutting down of Technet, and the fact that M$ seems to have no clue what its customers want or need.

Granted, these PCs are only used for media type functions, and various centralized functions, but it's start of a greater change of direction for this household. I'm already finalizing plans to change my Win 2008 R2 to a Red Hat server product.

I really only played with Linux seriously 15 years ago (back in the days of the 2.2 kernel). It took me all of half a day to pick it up again. But then, I'm a tech head.

I agree with your view on fragmentation.

Tanya

Hi there
Problem IS fragmentation -- I tried SUSE LINUX and MINT Cinnamon -- I absolutely MUST have MS office and Photoshop for the foreseeable future so I tried installing VMWARE hoping to get a Windows virtual machine up and running for these applications -- no way can I use anything else other than Photoshop or Office and they don't work on WINE properly either.

SUSE 12.3 (current release version) gave me some problem about "Kernel headers missing" -- so I tried to do what I found on Google - install the kernel source package and then try again -- now I was getting some sort of "Hard stop -compile / run time error" with some totally bizarre messages (at least to me they seemed to be). There's no way any average person could even BEGIN to sort this mess out (and I still haven't).

On Cinnamon the situation was even worse - the application appeared to install but just did NOTHING AT ALL when trying to start it up.

Whatever one says about Windows at least most stuff just installs and if it doesn't there's usually enough UNDERSTANDABLE help on the web. With Linux you really are on your own and it's often touch and go if ANY application will work again when you upgrade the system.

I also need an XP machine to run some legacy hardware --it WILL work on Linux once VMware can get installed and working -- I've had it working several years ago but decided Linux wasn't worth bothering with once W7 came out. With the new way Ms is going (subscription software, tablet GUI etc) I though I'd look at Linux again -- but the whole dogs dinner of SOFTWARE install still reminds me of old fashioned techie types working away on keyboards about 20 years ago - it certainly hasn't got any easier even if hardware detection has improved.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Wenda.
I have toyed with Mint Cinnamon 13 and 14 on live CD's.

I'm planning to get Mint 15 soon.

Mint just evolves too fast. New version every few months, faster phase than Ubuntu. I quite like Mint better than Ubuntu because of the UI. Just 2 years ago, I was using Mint 9 much more often with Windows 7 dual booted with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
But that goes against the whole philosophy of Linux. If things were that easy, we could just say, everybody needs to do Metro and just agree on it. Won't happen.

To be honest, the LiNazis do like it that way. Makes them feel special.
Not sure I completely agree with that. The open source community does a ton to provide solutions and software for the masses, all without cost and restrictions to further change, develop and distribute it.

As an avid Linux user myself (I support way more Linux at work then Windows), for the most part things get hard because hardware is often made more or less for Windows. With enterprise class servers, drivers are prevalent and stuff just works. With home users, it's simply not that easy. For many of us, we had to work "hard" to get our systems running. It's unrealistic to say to somebody new to a forum, "oh, just click here, here and here and viola...it works".

I don't consider myself to be a Linux elitist. However, many a Windows user will complain that " I cannot believe you have to do something at the command line in Linux". For me personally, I prefer it. it's scriptable, it's repeatable and it makes documentation of setup an absolute breeze. My preference for a command line system to some might come off as being an elitist snob, but it just makes my life easier and provides me more benefits.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Must be the "Year of Linux" people doing some wishing and hoping along with writing trash articles about the down fall of the great and powerful Microsoft, "Beware The Eyes Of March" the Nay Sayers have spoken. . .:what:
I think you mean Ides of March.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ENVY 700-074
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 4430 @ 3.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    MS-7826 (Kaili)
    Memory
    12 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 740
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD68E2 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S27C230B
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    240 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 Series
    PSU
    stock
    Case
    stock
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech K520
    Mouse
    Logitech M310
    Browser
    Fire Fox
    Antivirus
    Eset Smart Security 7
Linux Mint 15 MATE (64 bit)

Last week I installed Linux Mint 15 MATE (64 bit) in VMware Player (running in Linux Mint 14 MATE).

It's lightning fast (it's the fastest modern OS I've played with).
shock.gif

The Linux Mint 15 MATE (64 bit) VM:

• Took ~6 minutes to install (I skipped the languages)
  • Took ~10 minutes to update everything
  • Booted up in ~15 - 20 seconds!
  • Used ~350 MB of RAM (measured by the VM's system monitor)
I'm giving serious consideration to replacing Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) on my HDD with it.
The only thing holding me back is, my friend promised to sell me his 512 GB SSD, so I might wait for that to happen.

Hi there
Problem IS fragmentation -- I tried SUSE LINUX and MINT Cinnamon -- I absolutely MUST have MS office and Photoshop for the foreseeable future so I tried installing VMWARE hoping to get a Windows virtual machine up and running for these applications -- no way can I use anything else other than Photoshop or Office and they don't work on WINE properly either.

SUSE 12.3 (current release version) gave me some problem about "Kernel headers missing" -- so I tried to do what I found on Google - install the kernel source package and then try again -- now I was getting some sort of "Hard stop -compile / run time error" with some totally bizarre messages (at least to me they seemed to be). There's no way any average person could even BEGIN to sort this mess out (and I still haven't).

On Cinnamon the situation was even worse - the application appeared to install but just did NOTHING AT ALL when trying to start it up.

VMware Player runs correctly on my Linux Mint MATE 14 (64 bit).
I went to VMware's site and downloaded the bundle and installed it with no problems.

I don't know why it wouldn't work in your SUSE LINUX and MINT Cinnamon installs. :confused:
Are you sure you downloaded the correct bundle?

I used to see that message when I tried to install VMware Tools in my Fedora VM.
It was a pain to get the necessary files (development headers?) and install them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Windows isn't dying, it's just becoming irrelevant

Summary: Just as the stone ax gave way to one made of bronze, the Windows-powered PC must now give way to better, more customized, more refined tools.
My ZDNet colleague Matt Baxter-Reynolds penned an excellent piece yesterday on Microsoft's failed "Windows 8 Project" and how the death of the PC could also be the death of Windows. While I agree with Baxter-Reynolds that Microsoft is going to face some serious challenges over the coming years as the era of the PC wanes, where he sees death as awaiting the platform, I see irrelevance as its ultimate fate.
The bottom line

Windows, along with the PC, is going to be around for years to come. We're not talking about the sudden, premature death of the two icons of the modern IT world. Instead, what we are seeing is a slow, but certain, slide into irrelevance. Just as the stone ax gave way to one made of bronze, the Windows-powered PC must now give way to better, more customized, more refined tools.
Windows isn't dying, it's just becoming irrelevant | ZDNet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

Last week I installed Linux Mint 15 MATE (64 bit) in VMware Player (running in Linux Mint 14 MATE).

It's lightning fast (it's the fastest modern OS I've played with).
shock.gif

The Linux Mint 15 MATE (64 bit) VM:

• Took ~6 minutes to install (I skipped the languages)
  • Took ~10 minutes to update everything
  • Booted up in ~15 - 20 seconds!
  • Used ~350 MB of RAM (measured by the VM's system monitor)
I'm giving serious consideration to replacing Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) on my HDD with it.
The only thing holding me back is, my friend promised to sell me his 512 GB SSD, so I might wait for that to happen.

Hi there

VMware Player runs correctly on my Linux Mint MATE 14 (64 bit).
I went to VMware's site and downloaded the bundle and installed it with no problems.

I don't know why it wouldn't work in your SUSE LINUX and MINT Cinnamon installs. :confused:
Are you sure you downloaded the correct bundle?

I used to see that message when I tried to install VMware Tools in my Fedora VM.
It was a pain to get the necessary files (development headers?) and install them.

Very nice. :cool:
I prefer Mate over Cinnamon as well.

Cinnamon has some fancy transparency that slows things down when you don't have appropriate drivers.

All good old themes (Gnome 2) run in Mate: Crux, Aurora, Clearlooks...
VMWare Player beats them all on x64 Mate. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
That's so damn true, When I was running Ubuntu I went in for some minor problem and was assaged by 3l33t ]-[/\X04s. Cos I was a newbie I didn't deserve to axe for their help.

Haha, and you think that's bad? It's Ubuntu, one of the more newbie friendly Linux distros. I started using Linux back in the days when you still had to write out every freakin' sudo line to do an installation of the system. If anyone remembers this, some distros made you type in the specific make and model of your keyboard, mouse, etc. A question about the syntax of a command line will result in half a dozen "you're stupid go away" answers.

You can still find this kind of attitude in some Linux distro forums, usually the more 1337 ones.

Oh well, if those 1337s believe their attitude is what's best for the Linux community, then all the more power to them. I don't really care anymore as my time is used for more useful things than trying to figure out the next sudo command line.

Actually, the only Linux people that have treated me like a person? have been the cYdia/Jailbreak people. Some of them bent over backward to help me out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Windows will start to die, when desktop applications will start to die. And that's not taking place anytime soon. VDE and web based applications may accelerate this, but even then, it'll be awhile. For most people, it isn't about platform, it is about applications...

My Vista was replaced by LM 15 and it ran just fine. The system was used for browsing the web, emails, and light office document creation, but OpenOffice ain't no MS Office and missed Visio. I was about to put back Vista, when W8.1 came out and gave it a whirl. After customization of the system, I like w8.1 and probably buy the RTM version when it is available. Especially, since 8.1 improved the performance of the relatively old laptop to the level that it pretty close to the first generation ultrabook performance. Yes, with the SSD...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Latitude
    CPU
    Intel i5-3350P (3.1 GHz)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    16 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD7850
    Sound Card
    Built-in to MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 24" Dell
    Screen Resolution
    3,840 x1,200
    Hard Drives
    128 GBs, OCZ Vertex, SATA III SSD
    256 GBs Intel SATA III SSD
    3 x Seagate 1 TBs HDD
    PSU
    Antec 750W
    Case
    Antec P185
    Internet Speed
    50 Gb/s
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox22.0
    Antivirus
    Vipre
    Other Info
    Works, most of the times unless Microsoft patches decide otherwise...
Hi everyone,

Please folks do let High Tech Media wash your brains,,,, Windows 9 is in the works and we all will be getting lots of stories and new reports in a few weeks in regards how its looking and what it will have and stuff like Metro and UI it wont have.... I think by the end of 2014 Windows 9 will be ready to release and we all will be very happy...

Yes it will have a start button and full working menu for starters and it will be very very fast...

Don't let foolish Media try to scare or brain wash you, Windows for laptops and desktops will be around on this earth till Hell Freezes it Over!

But I agree that Microsoft Corp, wont be the same Company that we all know in a few years, I am very sure Microsoft will be taken apart and sold section/department as time clicks forward, and we will also see sections/departments closed for good.

Microsoft will sell, and partner in the future stay tuned this will be the next major change at Microsoft...

PS: Windows 10 and onward is where this new transformation and partnerships will show up and in a full affect from Windows 10 and every other Windows future new OS updates will not have the name of Microsoft stamped on the DVD or Retail boxes, This will be a very Interesting time as they say around 2015...

Regards,
ExplorerTML

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 2 Extreme 4 Core 3.2GHz X9770
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
I believe its always a good idea to expose yourself to other operating systems other than Windows. I started doing that since the plague of Vista. Ubuntu was the first Linux distro that I was exposed to and I believed it was a great alternative. I've tried all of the releases up to 13.04 and I think its a great alternative overall. Of course I do admit it would be great if there were a bit more commercial software. Microsoft Office is essential for my work and its just not the same using another alternative office suite. Maybe in the future?

I also tried OS X and I find it a great OS too. It does have support for Microsoft Office and other suites like iLife. It has a lot of commercial software. I'm not why people complain that OS X sucks. The only bad thing I see is the lack of games for it, but most people already have gaming consoles for that.

You may be wondering if I have a Mac? Well no I have a PC laptop, but who said I needed a Mac to run OS X lol? I actually have Linux, OS X, and Windows installed on my laptop. I get the best of all 3 worlds. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5 430M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
MS haven't done very well trying to transition consumers into their clouds - so far. I am not convinced 8.1 will do all that much better.

It is part of the bigger picture of transitioning ownership and control away from the individual into the hands of the corporations.

I don't know if our kids/grandkids will understand what ownership is - they might spend their entire lives in the control of other entities.

There is another possible scenario. Perhaps people will always understand the importance of ownership. Perhaps they will continue to demand it and resort to renting in certain circumstances.

Kindle fired: 75% want printed books, not ebooks | WashingtonExaminer.com

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi everyone,

Please folks do let High Tech Media wash your brains,,,, Windows 9 is in the works and we all will be getting lots of stories and new reports in a few weeks in regards how its looking and what it will have and stuff like Metro and UI it wont have.... I think by the end of 2014 Windows 9 will be ready to release and we all will be very happy...

Yes it will have a start button and full working menu for starters and it will be very very fast...

Don't let foolish Media try to scare or brain wash you, Windows for laptops and desktops will be around on this earth till Hell Freezes it Over!

But I agree that Microsoft Corp, wont be the same Company that we all know in a few years, I am very sure Microsoft will be taken apart and sold section/department as time clicks forward, and we will also see sections/departments closed for good.

Microsoft will sell, and partner in the future stay tuned this will be the next major change at Microsoft...

PS: Windows 10 and onward is where this new transformation and partnerships will show up and in a full affect from Windows 10 and every other Windows future new OS updates will not have the name of Microsoft stamped on the DVD or Retail boxes, This will be a very Interesting time as they say around 2015...

Regards,
ExplorerTML

Can I use your time machine. . .:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
In response to that article, I love my kindle and I like buying my music from Amazon mp3. Having my media at home as well as stored in the cloud is great.

My sister just had a house fire, lost just about everything. But as soon as she bought a replacement kindle, she had every single book back. No lists, no insurance, no hassles, just everything back all quick and easy.

It's not all bad.

I only buy physical books now when the price is far cheaper than the ebook. Nothing to store, doesn't take space.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
No, it isn't all bad. It has it's place.

But it might not necessarily take over. Some people still understand the true value and concept of ownership. Long may it continue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Very nice. :cool:
I prefer Mate over Cinnamon as well.

Cinnamon has some fancy transparency that slows things down when you don't have appropriate drivers.

All good old themes (Gnome 2) run in Mate: Crux, Aurora, Clearlooks...
VMWare Player beats them all on x64 Mate. :thumb:

I swapped my customised Ubuntu theme into Linux Mint MATE 14 and it worked without any problems.
Click picture for animation
My_Linux_Mint_14_(MATE)_01.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back