Dell replays Windows 8 blame card as PC sales slide

Computerworld - Dell last week again blamed Windows 8 for contributing to a decline in PC sales revenue during the quarter that ended May 3.
"Windows 8 has been, from our standpoint, not necessarily the catalyst to drive accelerated growth that we had hoped it would be," said Brian Gladden, Dell's CFO, in a call last week with Wall Street analysts to discuss the quarter's financials.
Gladden's convoluted syntax aside, this was the second time that Dell pushed Windows 8 under the bus.

Dell replays Windows 8 blame card as PC sales slide - Computerworld

And yet there are those on here who insist that if they put windows 7 on the PC's that the sales would go up. I don't understand how they could ignore the fact that PC sales took a nosedive long before windows 8 came out. It's always been an inevitable trend. Most people (9 out of 10) want devices for consumption purposes. Before, they bought laptops because they didn't have any other choice. If they just wanted to do emails and media consumption, why get another laptop when they could just get a phablet?

We're having Spring rains off and on here today so I took the day to do some office work. I'm taking a break right now out on the patio because the sun came out for a while. I'm using my phone to check on the forum. I simply don't need to nor do I want to sit behind my PC to perform this. Lol! My neighbors may think I'm crazy for talking into my phone to post this, but I really don't care. :D

If anything Windows 8 may be hurting PC sales due to the fact that it runs very well on older PCs, just as I have found and what I read about others like Phone Man Jim. :)

If I'm part of the 14%, then I'm glad I saved money. Its money I'll put towards a new hybrid I want to get. Mobile is where its at nowadays. Period. The hybrid will have windows 8 on it. And last but not least, a Windows Phone 8 to complete my trifecta. What an ingenious idea. One up for Microsoft over there competitors. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
If anything Windows 8 may be hurting PC sales due to the fact that it runs very well on older PCs...

I've always taken this as a sign that MS as a whole actually does have a conscience. MS could have made each subsequent OS more resource demanding forcing people to keep buying newer and newer hardware. Instead, they're doing the opposite.

I know there's a lot of MS haters. I used to be one of them, too. But in the end, it just works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I don't understand how they could ignore the fact that PC sales took a nosedive long before windows 8 came out.

Nosedive? Who is ignoring it?

It is never a good idea to cause hesitation in the market, even less so when conditions aren't favourable. There is such a thing as making it worse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If anything Windows 8 may be hurting PC sales due to the fact that it runs very well on older PCs

Presumably those older pc's will have been activated? Vast numbers of os boxed copies sold, then? Maybe, but they don't seem to be showing up in the stats.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If anything Windows 8 may be hurting PC sales due to the fact that it runs very well on older PCs

Presumably those older pc's will have been activated? Vast numbers of os boxed copies sold, then? Maybe, but they don't seem to be showing up in the stats.

My System Builder 8 Pro copy has been activated. That's all I know. What stats are you referencing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
If you are suggesting that people are buying the os - instead of a new pc, then wouldn't that mean a lot of os activations - enough to balance the unsold pc's?

Last I heard activations are around 60m. There are stiil plenty of unsold boxed copies at the intro price - even after all these months.

No indication whatsoever of what you are suggesting.

My System Builder 8 Pro copy has been activated. That's all I know. What stats are you referencing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I know there's a lot of MS haters. I used to be one of them, too. But in the end, it just works.

I am exactly the other way around I had a lot of time for Microsoft. Now not so much. What has put me off is the attempt to emulate the Fruit Company.

Whats going on with all their secrecy? Who knows what is happening with Blue? They used to be a much more open company. They way they are treating us now is just like how apple treats their customers.

The thing about Microsoft customers and fans is they have never been a bunch of yes men. There has always been vigorous debate about changes to their software.

From your quote "it just works" you sound like an apple fan, as that was one of their slogans. It may suit you the way Microsoft is changing, but it makes me very uneasy for the future of Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox
The thing about Microsoft customers and fans is they have never been a bunch of yes men.

I was under that impression, until the appearance of 8. Now there are some who act the way the so called Apple fanboys are alleged to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If you are suggesting that people are buying the os - instead of a new pc, then wouldn't that mean a lot of os activations - enough to balance the unsold pc's?

Last I heard activations are around 60m. There are stiil plenty of unsold boxed copies at the intro price - even after all these months.

No indication whatsoever of what you are suggesting.

What I hear, what you hear, and what they hear is all hearsay. Specific reference please. MS stated 1Mil Windows 8 sold. How many are activated is anyone's guess. True speculation otherwise. Seems to me that MS pushed the upgrade more than anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

I am exactly the other way around I had a lot of time for Microsoft. Now not so much. What has put me off is the attempt to emulate the Fruit Company.

Whats going on with all their secrecy? Who knows what is happening with Blue? They used to be a much more open company. They way they are treating us now is just like how apple treats their customers.

The thing about Microsoft customers and fans is they have never been a bunch of yes men. There has always been vigorous debate about changes to their software.

From your quote "it just works" you sound like an apple fan, as that was one of their slogans. It may suit you the way Microsoft is changing, but it makes me very uneasy for the future of Windows.

Fair enough that I sound like an apple fan, because you know what now that I take a step back I do see that I do sound like those apple fanboys.

To be fair, here's the difference. Most apple fanboys have no idea that apple OS's crash just as often as everything else. There are stats and studies that prove this. The reason apple fanboys believe their systems don't crash is because their systems are designed to not give you an error message. It's like sweeping the dirt under the rug.

Anyway, you are right. I need to start checking myself. Being a fanboy of anything is the last thing I want to become.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Apple fan boys also deny that there is ever anything wrong with anything put out by Apple and vehemently fight and try to put down anyone who criticises any aspect of Apple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Apple fan boys also deny that there is ever anything wrong with anything put out by Apple and vehemently fight and try to put down anyone who criticises any aspect of Apple.

Yes, and I think you've missed all the posts and threads I started criticizing certain aspects of windows 8. For example, I love the charms bar, but I hate the tiles. I prefer icons more. I absolutely hate the fact that I can't do a 50/50 split screen between 2 apps. There are a lot of things I hate about windows 8 UI. I freely admit this. The lack of a start button isn't one of them. I have classic shell installed and I haven't used the start menu in the last month. No reason to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
More assumptions. Why do you do this? I was speaking generically about all posters who seem to refuse to accept that not everyone is happy with what Microsoft has done and for valid reasons. If I was referring directly to you, I would have quoted you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
More assumptions. Why do you do this? I was speaking generically about all posters who seem to refuse to accept that not everyone is happy with what Microsoft has done and for valid reasons. If I was referring directly to you, I would have quoted you.
I haven't seen those posters.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
warning   Warning
goodintentions and Ray, let's keep the discussion friendly shall we. :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS