Continues Errors at startup "Metadata staging failed"

Hi,

yes I can confirm that Microsoft has taken care of the problem. I have also received a positive feedback. I personally continue to use the proposed link from me. The original URL is indeed only the forwarding. But I would recommend anyone to restore the original state. Microsoft has informed me that there was an internal conversion and the team probably had little oversight.
However, it can still come in the next few days to small problems to 100% is then fixed.

Thanks to all for the good cooperation.
Old URL worked for a couple of days but today same problem came back.

Hi,

I said yes that there may be problems with the original link. Actually, I would advise everyone to use the link posted by me. Thus, there is still no problems. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hi,

yes I can confirm that Microsoft has taken care of the problem. I have also received a positive feedback. I personally continue to use the proposed link from me. The original URL is indeed only the forwarding. But I would recommend anyone to restore the original state. Microsoft has informed me that there was an internal conversion and the team probably had little oversight.
However, it can still come in the next few days to small problems to 100% is then fixed.

Thanks to all for the good cooperation.
Old URL worked for a couple of days but today same problem came back.

Hi,

I said yes that there may be problems with the original link. Actually, I would advise everyone to use the link posted by me. Thus, there is still no problems. :)
I've had no problems (yet) after reverting to original link a few days ago. Perhaps it's region specific?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
Problem has been fixed on my system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade Rig
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 Quad 3770K @ 5 Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator-GT 16GB @ 2400 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC Edition
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA246Q & PA249Q IPS 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 830, 840 256GB |
    2TB Seagate SATA3 |
    Hitachi eSata 500GB
    PSU
    Corsair Professional Series 1050W
    Case
    Corsair Obsididan 800D Full Tower
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K520
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Explorer
    Internet Speed
    120/35
    Browser
    Fx41
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    UEFI BIOS with a GPT SSD boot drive.
/das
I made an interesting discovery. Apparently microsoft has changed something on the domain. Maybe someone of you can order what to do.

I have checked the path in the registry and this is the result.
arkeThe path is for Metdaten: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=252669&clcid=0x409*

I am confused as to why this post has been marked as resolved:

I am going to sit back and wait for a few days I think. I feel Windows may fix this server issue????

I have already invested many hours since Thursday and I was working on restoring a Laptop and reinstalling the OS from last Tuesday I know for certain this issue started on Thursday after 5pm.

No windows updates have been performed on this Laptop so it was not the windows updates issued on 09/09/14. The Link to the Windows 7 forum states this may be an underlying factor but I know for certain it is not.
It is doing this on all my Laptops and none of them had any updates performed since August, no hardware changes, noting.

I feel changing the system not to automatically install drivers as indicated again the link to the Windows Forum or changing the url: is merely masking an issue with the windows server. Also changing the settings for hardware updates is a mask and is not recommended.

Hope some of you agree with me.

Hello Microsoft moderators reading this page - please can you comment and fix this url:???
Thanks again to all of you and lets keep the post going until Microsoft fix this issue.
It is doing this on all my Laptops and none of them had any updates performed since August, no hardware changes

Thanks again to all of you and lets keep the post going until Microsoft fix this issue. Sorry I am new to this forum and didn't want to start a new post but feel masking the issue is not a resolution. Hope some of you agree with me. I stand corrected if I am wrong but feel you should all know that I can say hand on heart this is not a windows update issue. Look forward to all of you posting your comments on this issue and how many of us are facing this issue, millions????
i have the same error and i have bad experience editing registry(there was an virus in my old pc and i spend hours for research to fix edit registry and it didnt help)i did fresh windows install and after updated to Windows 8.1 i get diferent error [h=1]microsoft-windows-dxptaskringtone/analytic the system cannot find the file specified then i delete registry key and now no errors hope it helps some one.[/h]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 PRO
After we all experienced this issue last September and waited three days for a Microsoft fix I find this issue has reappeared on my system at approx. 9.30 am this morning and it is the same URL that is failing - anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Home Premium 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
After we all experiences this issue last September and waited three days for a Microsoft fix I find this issue has reappeared on my system at approx. 9.30 am this morning and it is the same URL that is failing - anyone else noticed this?
Good to know that I am not the only one that has experienced this. Question is? Wait for a MS fix or try the same patch (work-around) and see if it works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium
This problem went away for me in September and today it came back. I did install three optional WU patches this morning. One of them must have reintroduced the problem.

KB3022345
KB3048043
KB2919355

I'll uninstall them and see what happens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade Rig
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2TB Seagate SATA3 |
    Hitachi eSata 500GB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K520
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120/35
    Browser
    Fx41
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Thank you

Thanks for that, I have not made any changes to my system in the last two weeks and the error appeared on my system yesterday morning. Let us know how you get on after removing the updates.

Thanks again, all comments appreciated.

Andrea

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
I took the easy way out and restored by system drive from a disk image I took before applying two of the updates.

I didn't receive any errors so it's either KB3022345 or KB3048043 that's the cause.

**** Most likely KB3022345 is the culprit

Here is some more info on this patch:

KB3022345 causes error in sfc.exe - Microsoft Community

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade Rig
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2TB Seagate SATA3 |
    Hitachi eSata 500GB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K520
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120/35
    Browser
    Fx41
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Thanks for the helpful information but I have not installed any updates at all on any of my systems ( I have tested 9) and the error http 400 bad request is still showing on the Microsoft link this evening. It is still producing event 131 metadata staging failed if I refresh the hardware devices page I can just keep generating the error in large numbers. Microsoft confirmed the link is currently a dead link and will be repaired. On boot up I do not see the errors every time, have you double checked by refreshing the hardware device page to see if the error pops its head up?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
I've never had a 400 bad request problem. Where is the hardware devices page you mentioned so I can do a refresh on it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade Rig
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2TB Seagate SATA3 |
    Hitachi eSata 500GB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K520
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120/35
    Browser
    Fx41
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
sorry for the confusion

sorry for the confusion: if you paste the device set up manager url into your browser:

you will find the link in regedit: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE - SOFTWARE-MICROSOFT-WINDOWS-CURRENT VERSION- DEVICE META DATA . I cannot paste the link for you because I have a programme running at present and cannot access regedit.

this is how Microsoft check if the link is dead on my browser I get error 400 Bad Request. It should forward you to metadata services but mine doesn't.

To test metadata services update:

Open control panel - select Hardware and Sound - select Devices and Printers - right click on a black space on that page and click refresh - if the url is repaired it will not generate the metadata staging failed errors. If it is not fixed you will see the errors.

I have just tried a system restore going back 2 weeks on 2 of my systems even though we have not installed any updates, no joy, the error is still there.

Of course the temporary fix is to change the link n the registry to the one quoted by saammy on the forum in September, that works, I have tested it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Yeah, I'm still getting what you are getting. I swear I wasn't getting them until today, maybe yesterday.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade Rig
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2TB Seagate SATA3 |
    Hitachi eSata 500GB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K520
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120/35
    Browser
    Fx41
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Tried Sammy's fix and it seems to work. The problem might lie in KB2919355. IF you Google it you'll see a lot of complaints that it is causing all sorts of problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade Rig
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2TB Seagate SATA3 |
    Hitachi eSata 500GB
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K520
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120/35
    Browser
    Fx41
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Starting yesterday, I noticed random Metadata 131 errors in my Event Log as well. With info from a Microsoft forum, I opened Task Scheduler, navigated to Library\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup and manually ran the task for Metadata Refresh. Lo and behold, there immediately appeared to be about a dozen of these event 131 errors for various device CLSID numbers.
I made the change in the URL for the DeviceMetadataServiceURL key as suggested by Saammy on Page 3 of this thread.
I rebooted and then manually ran the Metadata Refresh scheduled task once again and no more errors appeared. So, apparently his URL link still works.
I had previously used that fix successfully last September, but I restored the original URL after some posters claimed that MS had fixed it. This time, I'll just leave Saammy's URL in place unless I run into future metadata staging problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
Yeah, I'm still getting what you are getting. I swear I wasn't getting them until today, maybe yesterday.

Thanks for confirming. I do not think it is the update because as I say we have not installed any updates for almost 3 weeks. I have tried system restore to roll back 2 laptops a few weeks but this has not resolved the issue. I am sticking with saammys fix at present.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Starting yesterday, I noticed random Metadata 131 errors in my Event Log as well. With info from a Microsoft forum, I opened Task Scheduler, navigated to Library\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup and manually ran the task for Metadata Refresh. Lo and behold, there immediately appeared to be about a dozen of these event 131 errors for various device CLSID numbers.
I made the change in the URL for the DeviceMetadataServiceURL key as suggested by Saammy on Page 3 of this thread.
I rebooted and then manually ran the Metadata Refresh scheduled task once again and no more errors appeared. So, apparently his URL link still works.
I had previously used that fix successfully last September, but I restored the original URL after some posters claimed that MS had fixed it. This time, I'll just leave Saammy's URL in place unless I run into future metadata staging problems.

Same here, several of us seem to have reverted to the old fix, it would appear to be more reliable than the Microsoft server url.

I have received a response this evening from a Microsoft moderator who insists he cannot product this error on his system. However, reading the forum notes I forwarded to him he has said it could be region specific and has agreed to escalate the report to a higher level.

Hopefully it will not take too long but how many months before it breaks again? Perhaps the direct url we are now using from the September issue is by far safer than the url link that breaks every 6 or 7 months?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    CPU
    XX
    Motherboard
    XX
    Memory
    1TB
    Graphics Card(s)
    xx
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Norton
Same here, several of us seem to have reverted to the old fix, it would appear to be more reliable than the Microsoft server url.

I have received a response this evening from a Microsoft moderator who insists he cannot product this error on his system. However, reading the forum notes I forwarded to him he has said it could be region specific and has agreed to escalate the report to a higher level.

Hopefully it will not take too long but how many months before it breaks again? Perhaps the direct url we are now using from the September issue is by far safer than the url link that breaks every 6 or 7 months?
If the Microsoft moderator happens to get back to you with some valid information, please let us know. I'm guessing they will use the same metadata server for Windows 10, so this issue could become perpetual. I mentioned my thought that this might be region specific in a post last September. For what it's worth, I am located in the Los Angeles, California area of the US.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
I am still experiencing this problem on 2 separate systems both HP, a Desktop purchased in 12/13 with 8 then moved to 8.1 and kept up-to-date and a Laptop purchased 1/15 loaded with 8.1 and kept up-to-date. While Saammy's link works just fine I know this needs to be rectified and the sooner the better.

Saammy knew the way inside MS and could get to people the average user will never get to hence the issue was solved fairly quickly. Last year after several support sessions I was able to get to level 2 support and showed them how the original link failed and the one from Saammy worked and the guy did not have a clue what I was showing him so I do not have much confidence that this will be solved quickly. Region Specific? I am in FL for whatever that's worth and I don't believe this has anything to do with windows updates and I have not added anything to either one of my PC's. Last time this happened I imaged my computer back to an earlier time (Macrium Reflect) and it made no difference.

I hope others will check to see if this is affecting them because there is more power in numbers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360