computer error "Ethernet: no valid IP configuration"

suny

OK so.......called cable company -had cable tech come out-called paid subscribed tech care and am getting conflicting info.....My modem (netgear DOS works fine.....even rented the cable company's modem to make sure it wasn't my modem) and still didn't fix problem. My windows network diagnostics always comes up with the same error msg Ethernet :" no valid IP configuration"...so I was told to get an USB 2.0 external Ethernet adapter. Will this magically connect me to the internet? Also I'm wondering if its really going to be that easy as plug in and start up....keep in mind I have no internet connection therefore am not able to download anything from the internet to get this "external adapter" to work if need be plus I am not seeing any CD that come with them. Running win 8.1 on an all- in- one Lenovo Desktop hardwired NOT WIRELESS which everyone uses i guess. I've also been told that it could be something w/i the computer itself:eek: and since its an all-in-one more difficult to replace. I also went out and bought a new Ethernet cord as I'm not wanting to buy a whole new computer. Currently the one I own is less than 3 years old. Also I have reset the modem as well!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 with bing
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo
    Memory
    Browser
    google
Bring your computer to a friend's house, and see if it will get on the internet there. The only thing you should do is plug in your computer to your friend's router -- don't do anything other than that. See if it will get on the internet. If it does, then there is no problem with your computer.

If it won't get on the internet at your friend's house, perhaps you have a corrupted Ethernet driver, or maybe you don't have an Ethernet driver installed. If either of these is the case, you will need to download and install the Ethernet driver for your computer. You can use your friend's computer to do the downloading; then use a flash drive to copy it from your friend's computer to your computer. Now go into Device Manager and find the listing for your Ethernet adapter. Right click on it, and choose Reinstall. Browse to where you saved the driver, and click OK.

If you don't know which driver to download, an easy way to get the correct driver is to install another Ethernet adapter on your computer (for example, a USB 2.0 external Ethernet adapter); then do a search for Windows updates; then look at the results -- if it found a driver for your internal Ethernet adapter, install only that one driver, then shut down the computer. Remove the other Ethernet adapter, and power up the computer. Your internal Ethernet adapter should now work. This method has never failed for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (host OS) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (virtual machine)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 3847
    CPU
    Haswell
    Memory
    12 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two hard drives, 1TB each: One for Linux, one for my data.
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M
    Browser
    Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Sophos (Linux), Windows Defender (Windows)
    Other Info
    I use Samba to share my data drive with the other computers at my house.
Back