Can't install/boot OS after replacing HD (laptop fell...)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
What method did you use to create the bootable thumb drive? It has to be created a certain way for it to be bootable. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

Hi, I was able to partially do this: I was unable to get past step #5 with Rufus- After clicking on start I'm prompted to 'Please click on the disc button to select a bootable ISO or uncheck the "create a bootable disc...'checkbox.
I am doing this on a separate desktop dell/windows 7 and using a USB....:(
Jennifer

My Computer

System One

• OS
You have to point RUFUS to the ISO file it is going to use to make the thumb drive. Click the disk button and then browse to the ISO file tour going to use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
The Windows ISO you want to install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
HI, this is where I'm confused. Do I have an ISO? If not can I get it via Download Surface RT Recovery Image (Windows RT 8.0) - North America from Official Microsoft Download Center ? I know that I have a new HD but didn't buy a new windows because at the time I didn't think- I didn't still have windows still installed. Now I"m still not sure if it :
1)needs to be recovered somehow with the help of the Rufus program and the surgace RT image program?
2)or was it 'thrown' out with the old brocken HD and I need to simply buy a new retail windlows 8 from Tohiaba?
3)?
Thank you in advance for you patience::))
Jennifer

My Computer

System One

• OS
Surface RT is a Tablet OS, not what you need. You've been given two links on how to download a Windows 8 ISO and one on how to create a UEFI boo6table flash drive to install from. Have you looked at them and followed the instructions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
2)or was it 'thrown' out with the old brocken HD and I need to simply buy a new retail windlows 8 from Tohiaba?

Jennifer

YES to both.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
HI, this is where I'm confused. Do I have an ISO? If not can I get it via Download Surface RT Recovery Image (Windows RT 8.0) - North America from Official Microsoft Download Center ? I know that I have a new HD but didn't buy a new windows because at the time I didn't think- I didn't still have windows still installed. Now I"m still not sure if it :
1)needs to be recovered somehow with the help of the Rufus program and the surgace RT image program?
3)?
Jennifer

An ISO is an image file. It's used to burn a disk and create an exact duplicate of the disk the image was created from. Your original hard drive contained the recovery partition used to restore your PC back to factory condition. If your new drive is completely blank then you do not have a recovery partition or any way to recover your PC to the factory condition. If you had burned a set of recovery disks you could have used those to do it. To restore your OS to the new drive you are going to have to obtain recovery media or install media. You can order recovery media from the manufacturer, likely with a fee attached. Your other alternative is to obtain a Windows 8 DVD or an ISO file. I've already posted links for a method of obtaining an ISO file. Your only other alternative is to purchase Windows install media.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
3)?
Jennifer

An ISO is an image file. It's used to burn a disk and create an exact duplicate of the disk the image was created from. Your original hard drive contained the recovery partition used to restore your PC back to factory condition. If your new drive is completely blank then you do not have a recovery partition or any way to recover your PC to the factory condition. If you had burned a set of recovery disks you could have used those to do it. To restore your OS to the new drive you are going to have to obtain recovery media or install media. You can order recovery media from the manufacturer, likely with a fee attached. Your other alternative is to obtain a Windows 8 DVD or an ISO file. I've already posted links for a method of obtaining an ISO file. Your only other alternative is to purchase Windows install media.

HI, how do I do this on my laptop? I have a simple black screen with "no bootable device please restart system". I can't get it to boot and the Ruffus program needs to get to my ISO image on my computer so that it can become a bootable device but I can't get into my computer...
Jen

My Computer

System One

• OS
3)?
Jennifer

HI, how do I do this on my laptop? I have a simple black screen with "no bootable device please restart system". I can't get it to boot and the Ruffus program needs to get to my ISO image on my computer so that it can become a bootable device but I can't get into my computer...
Jen

Hi, thank you in advance for any and all replies!
My toshiba satalite laptop fell and the hard drive needed to be replaced. It came in the mail today and I installed it without problems but when I try to start I get this sole message: Boot media (failed). And I don't have a windows 8 installation disc-did not come with laptop/I'm suppose to burn one off this laptop but haven't had a change yet:cry:
What is going on?
Do I need to buy a new windows 8 OS from Toshiba too???:confused:
Jennifer

You have no data on the new drive, therefore no ISO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
3)?
Jennifer

Jen

You can't, there is no image on the laptop for Rufus to use. The hard drive is completely blank. You have to find an ISO on the internet to use. I've already explained that and provided a link to look at. Failing that you will have to buy the matching recovery media from the laptop manufacturer or buy a Full Windows DVD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
There are three ways to reinstall the Windows 8 OS.

1) Use the Toshiba Recovery DVD's you made yourself.

Toshiba said:
Creating recovery DVDs/media
It is strongly recommended that you create recovery DVDs/media.
If the recovery files on your internal storage drive become
corrupted or are deleted, you can restore your system from your
recovery DVDs/media. Also, if your original internal storage drive
fails, you can restore your system to a new internal storage drive
from your recovery DVDs/media.

2) Order Toshiba Recovery DVD's from Toshiba Support.

3) Buy Windows 8 Core/Pro DVD & Product Key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

Jen

You can't, there is no image on the laptop for Rufus to use. The hard drive is completely blank. You have to find an ISO on the internet to use. I've already explained that and provided a link to look at. Failing that you will have to buy the matching recovery media from the laptop manufacturer or buy a Full Windows DVD.

HI. Ok now I see the problem:) I don't have a product key.
I will go ahead order a recovery disk from Toshiba as that seems to be the least expensive.
I will definitely keep you updated!
Thank you!!
Jen

My Computer

System One

• OS
You have a Product key, its embedded in the BIOS of the PC. What you don't have is install media to reinstall Windows. The recovery media will put everything back to the way it was the first time you turned on that PC. By going that route you won't have to mess with installing drivers etc. Once you get your disks take care not to scratch them and put them in a safe place incase you ever need them again. Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard