Can I use my Win7 SSD as a ReadyBoost Drive for Win8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
GMan, you might find this thread interesting: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Seems SSDs aren't as fragile as previously suspected.

Are you kidding me? Seriously??

All I see on that page is:

"Read failures started increasing. A few days later it died."

"Disconnected a few times and then completely disappeared."

"Bad blocks caused failures."

"Total failure. Not readable."

"It disappeared."

"Unknown started disconnecting randomly."

"Unknown but was raising bit errors."

"Data retention failure."

"It wore out and is practically read only later found incapable of being detected."

"Test aborted due to LTT."

Shall I go on or are you already satisfied that you've went a HUGE way to proving my point for me? Thanks. lol (Congrats. You did better than I did.)

Why do you types of guys always do this? Serious question.

Thanks for the good laugh.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
In the spirit of attempting to make things excellent here as they should be, I want to say a quick few things.

When I am not continually challenged for the sake of it or just to prove me wrong, I am a very likeable person; the kind that will give you my shirt off my back if you were in need. I don't mind being asked or disputed, but I can easily tell the difference when I'm being challenged unnecessarily. For instance, I have complete respect for what Brink does on this site and others. Yesterday, I brought up something in a thread that I thought might be incomplete or incorrect information and we had a discussion about it. Together, we arrived at the reasons why things worked the way they do. Not for even a quick second do I feel like I am battling him or competing with him or anything like that.

I instinctively know that Brink would never just try to go against something for the sake of it. In addition, I am sure he has kept quiet when he might have known something better than what I've said here or there.

I think that is the best way to be, so from this point on, I will be like that with every member on this site. It was my mentality the moment I joined. From where I am sitting, I consider it a clean slate with everyone. There are impressive things I see from many here, so don't think I am out to be against anyone or anything like that. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
GMan, I don't think anybody is trying to challenge you for the sake of an argument. But I have noticed that you sometimes are very strict in your views even when it is obvious that you have not yet considered all aspects of a subject. Some of the 'elders' will in most cases not let you get away with a story where more discussion is required. I think is is all happening in the constructive spirit of this forum and you should not view that as a negative or an attempt to discount your views.

Keep your contributions coming but make sure you have researched all aspects of a subject or invite other members to fill in the blanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Some of the 'elders' will in most cases not let you get away with a story

Elder or no elder, you can't disrespect me by saying I have any kind of story I'm trying to get away with.
The audacity of this statement and some of the other things you've just said bewilder me, especially after all in this thread.

You know what - don't you see how your falsehood has started everything in this thread or shall I repeat what was in my next to last post again?

Nah, Readyboost is only for external type of storage. Besides, you don't want to use a SSD for any type of memory management since the frequent writes will shorten its life span significantly. That's why I don't even recommend putting the pagefile on it either.

GMan is right (except for the pagefile deal).

Code:
[SIZE=4][U][I][COLOR=#ff0000][B]"Read failures started increasing. A few days later it died."

"It disappeared."

"It wore out and is practically read only later found incapable of being detected."

"Test aborted due to LTT."[/B][/COLOR][/I][/U][/SIZE]

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed if...just nevermind man...I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone here with these kinds of responses, especially after all in this thread.

You should have said instead, "Thank you for showing me how not to destroy my hardware."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
GMan, I don't think we are on the same wave length. I suggest to stop this discussion before it deteriorates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
It's alright Wolfgang, I was waiting to see how long it was before he went back to the ways that have gotten him banned before (yes we knew it was TorrentG) and he has so he's gone.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    me
    CPU
    i9
you can't disrespect me by saying I have any kind of story I'm trying to get away with.
The audacity of this statement and some of the other things you've just said bewilder me, especially after all in this thread.

What is audacious is your sheer and utter arrogance. Even more audacious is your belief you deserve respect after being so disrespectful to others.

You may be technically correct in some areas, but you are way off the mark in others.

You've been banned before. So after you've finished huffing and puffing and feeling 'righteously disrespected' - take a moment to consider why you are banned so often.

If after you've re-read your own posts you still struggle to comprehend your errors - seek a trained professional, for I am sure your online behaviour is not that different from offline, where no doubt you are equally disliked for similar traits.

We don't care - but for your own personal well being, seek help. You need it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    SmartEyeball Custom Systems
    CPU
    Intel 3770K @4.8ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 WS
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Trident 2666mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    3x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    SB X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB + ATH-AD900 Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x3 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    5760*1200/1920*1200 / 1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200
    Case
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine MX Black // Filco Ninja TKL
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs: Clevo Sager P170HM // 17.3 Matte 1920x1200 // i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz // Dedicated GTX 485M // 240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray // Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0 // NexStar USB 3.0 enclosure 500GB

Are you kidding me? Seriously??

All I see on that page is:

"Read failures started increasing. A few days later it died."

"It disappeared."

"Test aborted due to LTT."

Shall I go on or are you already satisfied that you've went a HUGE way to proving my point for me? Thanks. lol (Congrats. You did better than I did.)

Why do you types of guys always do this? Serious question.

Thanks for the good laugh.

The point was the total number of writes SSDs will do before they fail.
Heavy use would be more than +10 years.

Guess your argumentative attitude blurs simple facts.
This is just a discussion about SSDs, and some points of view supported with actual testing.
It wasn't a 'challenge' just a supported clarification.

Edit: I see the discussion is over...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Hi everyone
Thank goodness we can get back to the point again

Everyone makes mistakes but I can honestly say I've never met one as the person mentioned often in this thread who refuses EVEN TO LOOK at the evidence when presented.

If he doesn't mend his way I can't say that he will find it any easier out there on 'The Street either.

enjoy the rest of the day everyone.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
It's alright Wolfgang, I was waiting to see how long it was before he went back to the ways that have gotten him banned before (yes we knew it was TorrentG) and he has so he's gone.
John, I did not mean to get him banned. But at times he forwarded theories that were not well founded. I just did not think that this would help others that may read the threads. So I was trying to steer against his 'theories'.

There were, however, occasions where his contributions were correct and valuable. I guess he was just a little wild.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
And I suppose it's time for an update:

I'm back on Windows 7, but I haven't gotten around to deleting the windows 8 partitions (I took off the drive letters so they're invisible, and I have plenty of space on my HDD).

From my experience it is mostly fine, but in it's current literation I found it kind of frustrating:

1. I liked to keep the metro screen tidy by unpinning all desktop applications. Problem is, whenever I need to use an application (that I don't use enough to pint to the taskbar), I have to Go to the home screen, right click, click on "all apps", then scroll to the application. That I feel is a bit too many awkward steps.

2. The Metro applications are not really finished. I have yet to figure out how to easily navigate the Music app, and once IE10 is no longer the default IE10Metro disappears, never to be found again. Once Google finally pushes out Chrome metro this should be fixed.

There may be a few other things, but that's all I can remember.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
ad 1) Why don't you put the applications that you use less frequently into a toolbar. Then they are hidden but readily available at any time. This tutorial works in Win8 too: Toolbars - How to Use in Windows 7 and Vista - Windows 7 Forums

Hi there
any chance of turning this video tutorial into a more "Classic" kind using say powerpoint and written instructions.

I'm afraid that I can't really learn stuff easily from Video tutorials (I'm sure I'm not alone on this either).

Youtube is great for some things but as a teaching medium -- I'm not so sure.

The toolbar idea is fine anyway -- good idea for those who haven't used these.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
ad 1) Why don't you put the applications that you use less frequently into a toolbar. Then they are hidden but readily available at any time. This tutorial works in Win8 too: Toolbars - How to Use in Windows 7 and Vista - Windows 7 Forums

Hi there
any chance of turning this video tutorial into a more "Classic" kind using say powerpoint and written instructions.

I'm afraid that I can't really learn stuff easily from Video tutorials (I'm sure I'm not alone on this either).

Youtube is great for some things but as a teaching medium -- I'm not so sure.

The toolbar idea is fine anyway -- good idea for those who haven't used these.

Cheers
jimbo
Totally agree! Youtube tutorials are TERRIBLE. It's virtually impossible to scan for the one important detail you're having problems with, and they aren't really that clear.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
I have made many tutorials and class materials in PowerPoint and as .docx/.pdf. But that is a LOT more work and not necessarily any clearer. A commented PowerPoint show is a good alternative. But the only site for uploading I know is AuthorStream and they often make a mess of your input.

For the YouTube/Vimeo tutorials that I have posted I suggest that you download them. That will allow you to run them at your pace and repeat as often as required.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hi there
wasn't having "a go at you" and really DO appreciate your work, time and effort into doing these.
All I was saying that in general I find it harder to work with Video rather than "conventional material" but that's probably because I'M getting too old for a lot of "the new fangled stuff".

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
wasn't having "a go at you" and really DO appreciate your work, time and effort into doing these.
All I was saying that in general I find it harder to work with Video rather than "conventional material" but that's probably because I'M getting too old for a lot of "the new fangled stuff".

Cheers
jimbo
Hi Jimbo, I did not take it personal. I just wanted to explain that the alternatives are a lot more work. I realize that videos are sometimes hard to follow when it comes to specific settings. Maybe it maks sense to add some text and pictures summarizing the most important points/settings. I'll try that next time.

Here is one of the most elaborate tutorials/classes I have ever produced. But that was a lot of work. If you download the folder, you will see. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475a...#cid=475A0A48CA6D4035&id=475A0A48CA6D4035!421

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back