Solved BSOD issues on Windows 8 Pro

Thanks, just ran that and got the folder ready. In the short time before it, I did update the nvstor64 drivers (from 8/4/2009 to 4/9/2010, or 11.1.0.33 to 11.1.0.43), only to promptly redo it all in safe mode as the computer did its whole lockup when trying to restart. As a result, the drivers for that will be newer in the list than it probably should be, but in any case, the folder's attached below.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire X1420G
    CPU
    AMD Athlon II X4 645, 3.1 GHz
    Motherboard
    Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570, 1 GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek Audio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G195WL
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    PSU
    220w
The logs are not complete, please redo.

Make sure you Right Click the file and select Run as Administrator.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
My apologies for the delay in redoing this. It should be complete now, so I'll attach the proper debug findings to this. I'm also attaching a new crashdump, though the BSOD that created said dump was entirely through my own stupidity, as it happened immediately upon unplugging the older wireless adapter. In turn, part of me feels it may still be the major issue (one of them, at least) and as the original replacement wasn't working as hoped, means I'll still need to replace that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X1420G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570, 1 GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek Audio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G195WL
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    PSU
    220w
jswpslwfx jswpslwfx.sys Thu May 15 06:28:50 2008 (482C1062) <<< not good, needs update or uninstall

nvstor64 nvstor64.sys Tue Aug 04 20:31:07 2009 (4A78D2CB) <<< the same

Recommend Windows 7.

You can try playing with different nvstor64 drivers from other chipsets, which might help. If you don't know how to or that doesn't fix it, Windows 7 is surely the way to go.

^^^

In addition:

WN111v2w7x.sys is not good.

None of the above advice is going to change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
Ah, thought as such on the dump. Strangely enough, I actually HAVE updated nvstor64.sys (unless there's a version past 11.1.0.43), so I thought maybe I had managed to fix that one. Still not sure how I'd update the JSW driver, though, or else I'd definitely go about that or otherwise uninstalling it.

Edit: Also figured that with the SYS file you mentioned, as that was directly mentioned in the last BSOD I saw, so I can't blame keeping the advice as is. Especially as that's the best option in any case, but to me, it's a sort of last resort. If I can somehow get 8.1 to (mostly) behave, that'd be good, but if it's only going to worsen, then I'll have no choice but to take that advice and nuke 8.1 from here. Seeing as I have a Windows 7 partition, I can still fall back on that at any time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X1420G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570, 1 GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek Audio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G195WL
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    PSU
    220w
Hm... well, the BSOD issues seem to have finally subsided now that another new wireless adapter has been acquired. However, I get the feeling there's still something at fault, as the computer itself will frequently encounter an issue where it'll freeze for 3-15 seconds at a time, most often around 3-4 seconds. When this issue occurs, other Windows programs (as well as some third-party stuff) have a tendency to refuse to open or work properly, and the computer itself will "freeze" when performing a shut down or restart, in that it'll shut down but have to also be forced off with the power button.

Any help would still be appreciated if at all possible, though if needed, I can make a new thread as the initial issue's solved (and the two helping on this have apparently been banned).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X1420G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570, 1 GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek Audio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G195WL
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    PSU
    220w
These sort of issues aren't unusual. My theory is that there were multiple causes for the BSOD, and the majority were fixed (and so, they stopped the BSOD's) - but some still remain, and that's what's causing the current issues.

Please do these 2 things:
1) remake and upload the reports we requested originally, even though you are no longer experiencing BSOD's ( http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cra...e-screen-death-bsod-posting-instructions.html ), and
2) Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog))
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
Done and done. I did run into an issue with getting the logs from Event Viewer, but this seemed to be a common thing when upgrading from 8 to 8.1 and was easily solved. In any case, both the reports and event logs should be attached below.

Oh, and as an aside, the event logs date as far back as March of last year, when I had performed a Reset on Windows 8. That may or may not help, but I felt I needed to get that out there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X1420G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570, 1 GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek Audio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G195WL
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    PSU
    220w
The larger the log, the longer it takes to generate the view. On big logs it may seem as if the program has frozen.

Your CD-ROM is spitting out errors due to a controller error. Most times this is the drive, the controller, or even the disk in the drive.
Remove the disk and check to see if that stops the CD-ROM errors in the Admin log.

There's also lot's of warnings about your nVidia Storage drivers. Most often these are due to driver issues - but it can also be a hardware problem that's causing the warning. To test, update the nVidia storage drivers to the latest, Win8.1 compatible storage drivers. The current nvstor64.sys drivers on your system date from 2010.

FWIW - there are no Win7/8/8.1 drivers available from nVidia (the maker of your chipset)
Acer does list Win7 drivers for the chipset - but I have to wonder just how compatible that they are.
Regardless, these drivers aren't compatible with Win8.1 and could easily be the cause of your problems.
The solution? Unfortunately, the solution is to revert to Win7 or even WinVista.
BUT, let's try one other thing first.....

I'd suggest trying to see if the CD-ROM is to blame. If the errors continue after removing the disk, then try to remove the drive itself. Be sure to unplug the system from the wall and observe anti-static precautions when removing both the power and data cables from the drive.

Then test again to see if the errors go away. If it then appears to work OK, you may be lucky and the system may work for you even though it's not compatible.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I actually haven't physically removed it, though I probably should, but I did disable the CD-ROM drive in my 8.1 install. This seems to have managed... something. Only time will tell if it helps any, but the Event Viewer hasn't spat out a new error in the last several minutes so far. As for the nVidia drivers, the best I could admittedly do was grab the ones you mentioned. They came from the 15.58 nForce chipset drivers, which was the most recent any of that chipset's apparently gotten. Still, as you've said, those are Win7 drivers and not 8.1 drivers.

In any case, I'll keep an eye out for any new issues over the next few days, or if the ones I'm already experiencing continue. Should they end up being resolved, I'll mark this as solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X1420G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570, 1 GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek Audio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G195WL
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    PSU
    220w
Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hey, given this a month to be certain, but it seems like the issues have indeed been solved. I'll need to do something about the DVD drive later on, but with it disabled, my computer's been running much more smoothly. Thanks for all the help, and consider this solved unless something happens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Aspire X1420G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Nvidia nForce 430 MCP61