Blue might not be as bad as we fear

Not that bothered about 8? You're not alone. To even the most disinterested observer, it's clear Microsoft has a lot work to do...

The change in tone.. was marked. Gone were the big messages about the Windows 8 Start screen and Windows 8-style apps... has the Start screen been over-emphasised?

I've changed my pitch...from starting with the Start screen to starting with the Windows desktop.

it's about doing their Windows 7 stuff and slowly get into 'OK I can do other things as well'. And suddenly it's 'well, I've got all these free apps I didn't know I had and I can play Angry Birds

I have been saying that since before it was released.

Moulster mused over whether there was a skew between early adopters and "people who are less techy". He also suggested that coming to Windows 8 without stigma does have positive results on touch-based devices.

Just when you think they are getting it ....oops, the use of the word stigma.That might explain why it took so long for the penny to drop. Or it might be they don't want to admit they were trying to force it. Either way - it is insulting - not a good idea to say it.

"I bought my mother, who's 76, a surface and - obviously while I helped her somewhat - she loves it and just gets on with it. She does her email, online banking, she does everything. What she doesn't use is the desktop. She doesn't really know it's there - she's got fairly simple needs.

Ian, she can do all that on cheap android thing, probably without any help. So what is your USP?

Microsoft: emphasis on Start Screen shackled Windows 8 | News | TechRadar

Hm, I'll download that one too. Cos it is a pain the way I am installing Start 8, I need a streamlined OS install. I like Start8 cos it immediately gets rid of the Lockscreen (if you want) and boots straight to Desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Hm, I'll download that one too. Cos it is a pain the way I am installing Start 8, I need a streamlined OS install. I like Start8 cos it immediately gets rid of the Lockscreen (if you want) and boots straight to Desktop.

I kinda like this one, Start Menu X I got the Pro version on a good discount, sometimes you can find it free.

tried the others too, IObits Start Menu 8 is also OK for free

Not sure how this WBlue will effect these people that develop these, but if the start menu isn't as good on it I assume I'll just stick with what I'm using.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
IObits, they have one or two non-malware proggies, but most of the stuff is Spamware, I'll check that out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Windows blue is just going to be the same as we have now with just a few so called improvements nothing to address current customers complaints.

That disconnect between the picture of Windows 8 that Microsoft is pushing and what industry figures and users are saying does not bode well for "Blue." As recently as six weeks ago, when a preliminary build of "Blue" first leaked, Microsoft showed no signs of backing away from its radical overhaul of Windows. In a Wall Street Journal report this week, Patrick Moorhead, president of research firm Moor Insights & Strategy, criticized Microsoft's long-delayed admission that Windows 8 needs a reboot. "Almost everybody in the tech industry already knows the [Windows 8] experience is suboptimal," Moorhead said. "Microsoft was the last one ... in the room to realize this was the case."

The Windows 'Blue' burden: Saving the PC itself | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

But this story says different.

Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming

Who to believe not M$ they may have seen it coming but I think the water has gotten a lot hotter than they wish.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Larson-Green emphasized once again that the software company was more open to customer feedback, explaining that Microsoft’s staff is now reading basically every single detail about Windows 8 that reaches the web.

There you go.

Julie will be hearing about this thread.

If she has any sense ( and I am sure she has ) she will read it herself.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
From everything I am reading it sounds like 'Blue' is going to be nothing more than a bunch of Metro updates (more ways to snap screen... not impressive at all when compared to the power of the desktop and desktop applications), a bunch of options moved to the silly Metro Interface (without any reason or logic behind the moves), a boot to desktop option (MS will say they listened to users), and a start button which takes you to the start screen (again MS will say they listened to users, IMO actually patronizing Windows users).

MS will absolutely ignore the main issue for me and the majority of my clients. Windows 8 needs a start menu on desktop/work PC's. The 'Majority' do not need or want a Tablet/Phone UI to launch applications. Nor do desktop/work PC's need full screen apps for anything more than f'ing around when bored to play some angry birds.

Windows should have an option to operate the PC from the desktop environment.... EXCLUSIVELY.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
The next rumor that I hear over and over again is that Windows 8.1 will bring back the Windows 7-style Start menu on the desktop. Bzzzzzt. Won't happen.
How prevalent is the "Blue" Start menu rumor? I've seen variations of it all over the Web. The New York Times Bits blog repeated it on Tuesday: "In recent weeks, tech news sites have been reporting that Windows Blue will bring back the start menu."
That Bits article pointed to two articles, one by Mary Jo Foley on ZDnet, the other by Tom Warren on The Verge, and neither of those articles even hints at the possibility of Windows 8.1 reviving the Start menu. They both say the Start button will return -- but clicking on the new, improved Windows 8.1 Start button will simply dump you back on the Metro Start screen. That's precisely what happens in Windows 8 currently when you click in the lower-left corner of the desktop. Microsoft may put a button down there; the company may even make the button look like the Windows 7 Start button. But it won't work the same way that Windows 7 works, no way, no how.

Don't believe the myths about Windows 8.1 'Blue' | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

M$ Windows 8 is dead dead dead get over it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
Yes, I think you are right.

I have been calling it an ambush.

From everything I am reading it sounds like 'Blue' is going to be nothing more than a bunch of Metro updates (more ways to snap screen... not impressive at all when compared to the power of the desktop and desktop applications), a bunch of options moved to the silly Metro Interface (without any reason or logic behind the moves), a boot to desktop option (MS will say they listened to users), and a start button which takes you to the start screen (again MS will say they listened to users, IMO actually patronizing Windows users).

MS will absolutely ignore the main issue for me and the majority of my clients. Windows 8 needs a start menu on desktop/work PC's. The 'Majority' do not need or want a Tablet/Phone UI to launch applications. Nor do desktop/work PC's need full screen apps for anything more than f'ing around when bored to play some angry birds.

Windows should have an option to operate the PC from the desktop environment.... EXCLUSIVELY.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks for the link Labeeman.

The author has the same impression I do.

Unless we see a palace revolt of unprecedented proportions, there is just no way on heaven or earth that Microsoft will back down on its quest for tile supremacy.

Correct.

In the absence of any meaningful competition, MS will force the metro stuff onto the users.

Joe public goes to pc's r us for a laptop type thing and faces a dilemma. Like 92% of people he doesn't have the entry price for a Mac. Then either he gets something with metro - or he gets nothing.

Read more at:

Don't believe the myths about Windows 8.1 'Blue' | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks for the link Labeeman.

Correct.

In the absence of any meaningful competition, MS will force the metro stuff onto the users.

Joe public goes to pc's r us for a laptop type thing and faces a dilemma. Like 92% of people he doesn't have the entry price for a Mac. Then either he gets something with metro - or he gets nothing.

That is where M$ has made a big mistake they are getting iThings and Android things by the millions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
Yes, that may well be the case.

Joe Public sees what MS is offering on the lappies - then just sticks with what he has already - or treats himself to new ipad/android thing instead.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

This would be a golden time for Apple to do some deep discounting on Mac's and get folks on that platform. You listening Tim?

-jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
I bought my mother, who's 76, a surface and - obviously while I helped her somewhat - she loves it and just gets on with it. She does her email, online banking, she does everything. What she doesn't use is the desktop. She doesn't really know it's there - she's got fairly simple needs.
This is the key. You have to be a simple push button user and you get along with Windows 8. But as soon as you want to do some real work, the OS is in the way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
He's been considering it.

This would be a golden time for Apple to do some deep discounting on Mac's and get folks on that platform. You listening Tim?

-jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back