System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Do you have passwords of any sort enabled in the BIOS/UEFI? If so, try removing them then rebooting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
Does the screen work in safe mode or without ANY ati/amd graphic drivers?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
No passwords in bios no.
Graphic drivers were removed with driver fusion. And the screen works In safe mode with the Gpu inserted, works in safe mode AND normal mode WITHOUT gpu inserted
The problem is most likely driver related because I can boot in safe mode with my gpu, and safe mode doesn't try to load drivers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
No passwords in bios no.
Graphic drivers were removed with driver fusion. And the screen works In safe mode with the Gpu inserted, works in safe mode AND normal mode WITHOUT gpu inserted
The problem is most likely driver related because I can boot in safe mode with my gpu, and safe mode doesn't try to load drivers

I agree with you.
Get the latest driver (you need to know the specs) for your gpu:
AMD Graphics Drivers & Software
But use 60Hz (safe mode uses 60Hz) since the overclocked one might no be so well supported by the driver, gpu or monitor. We agree on this one. Something else: test mode is not suited for normal use since it's for testing unsigned drivers and might slow some of system processes a bit.

A bit more personal choice concerning drivers: manual installs, through exe installer or Device Manager if you know your specs, are better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I agree with you.
Get the latest driver (you need to know the specs) for your gpu:
AMD Graphics Drivers & Software
But use 60Hz (safe mode uses 60Hz) since the overclocked one might no be so well supported by the driver, gpu or monitor. We agree on this one. Something else: test mode is not suited for normal use since it's for testing unsigned drivers and might slow some of system processes a bit.

A bit more personal choice concerning drivers: manual installs, through exe installer or Device Manager if you know your specs, are better.

Well, not to question your input, but I think it's more about a corrupted driver file still trying to be launched/read when it just wont work, and not about a driver being installed. I'm saying this because I tried uninstalling all the drivers, and it still wont boot with default settings. With another card that uses different drivers, its the same thing. Also, i did actually try installing manually the drivers for both cards. First with the Radeon, but i couldnt proceed with the installation because the .exe is an autoupdater that detects the GPU to find which driver to install. There were no standalones to be found. With the NVIDIA card, i installed the correct drivers and it didn't work either.

As for the safe mode thing, thanks for letting me know. I'm not using safe mode for normal use though, i'm just running normal mode on my integrated GPU right now..

As for the 60 hz thing, thats what i'm using right now. I turned off the overclock ( by using my 1080p monitor and integrated GPU ). My only question about this is.. is it possible that when I connect a GPU to my Mobo, it thinks i still want the overclocked profile and tries to force 100hz ? How would i go about verifying this theory? I don't think it's a plausible theory though because i turned off Windows Test mode, which allows me to overclock the display settings. When test mode is off, overclockable profiles are greyed out, and I cant go to mess with the settings.

I'll try one last uninstall / reinstall when I get back home like you suggest. I'll try to leave the Radeon 6950 GPU connected to the mobo while forcing to use the integrated GPU through BIOS, and see if the driver installer can detect the card and fix the settings. That just might work. I'll let you know.

If it still doesnt work and nothing else comes to mind, i'll just proceed with a full wipe / reinstall tomorrow, hoping that it wont say my device is locked O_O

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
Well this is it guys. It's getting serious. After trying this last thing, I decided to go for the full wipe / clean install. Booted from windows 8 dvd... Installed...computer reboots, then comes the black screen. I had a feeling it wouldn't work and I would wipe for nothing... Sigh. Writing from my phone now... What do I do...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
Can you return it to the store & get a refund or another computer ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
SOLVED -

This... is... this is just great...
There are not enough sacred words to express my flabbergastation of the situation...
Turns out.. it was my $%#$%^$^ USB hub in front of my case that was messing with the whole motherboard. I don't know if it's the USB hub from the case, or just the usb module of the Mobo... I was talking to my brother on the phone and we started trying to mess with all the cables to see if it was just the power that was being messed with. As I moved ONE usb cable to plug my usb key in the front hub of the case, my screen flickered black for half a second, and i heard the "device plugged" chime.

My eyes got as wide as my fists, my jaw dropped to the floor and a vein on my forehead popped. I dropped everything I was doing to reboot the computer with the GPU inserted.
It worked.

Can.. you.. @#%@##% .. believe it.. ?

I wiped my whole frogging drive... for... a USB hub... that was messing with my computer...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
Well... I guess I can say this is half solved.

Half the time now my computer works
the other half, screen just goes black / standby, and theres no chance in waking this thing up

I've tried messing with the power supply, changing slots here and there for all the power cords..
I have yet to know EXACTLY where it's coming from, and if its a powersupply issue or a mobo issue... i think there might be something shortcircuiting somewhere in the case that keeps the gpu from kicking in... i don't know

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
Back