BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys - reinstall troubles?

Those purchasing Windows 8 PCs are noticing that the small "Certificate of Authenticity" that is normally home to the product key is missing, and instead a "Genuine Microsoft" label has replaced it.

This seems to be a cause of concern, and is prompting a number of questions.

Rather than using a sticker, PC manufacturers are instead embedding the product key -- associated with a fingerprint of the hardware -- into the BIOS/UEFI firmware on the motherboard. This is part of Microsoft new OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0) mechanism and has been designed to combat piracy and, according to my OEM contacts, makes it easier for OEMs to order new keys from Microsoft, and even return unused keys back to Microsoft.

But what does it mean to the end user?

Read more at source:
Will BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys cause reinstall troubles? | ZDNet

Local guys don't build laptops, at least not around here. :p

Been 10 years since I had a desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Totally disagree, you have options to buy OEM manufacturer's PC's with clean install DVD's Windows 7 & 8 (8.1)

It is all about doing your homework.

Some OEM manufacturer's are now install Windows 7.
Your grammar is a bit odd but the point is fair. I bought a HP laptop last week (a 14 inch zbook yet to be delivered). Pre-installed with 7. Their choice not mine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Totally disagree, you have options to buy OEM manufacturer's PC's with clean install DVD's Windows 7 & 8 (8.1)

It is all about doing your homework.

Some OEM manufacturer's are now install Windows 7.
Your grammar is a bit odd but the point is fair. I bought a HP laptop last week (a 14 inch zbook yet to be delivered). Pre-installed with 7. Their choice not mine.

Most likly will come a option to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Anyway, just buy pc without any os, because it really is bad to buy windows os like 10 times .... Why should i buy it, when i already bought it with my first laptop ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 x64
Most likly will come a option to upgrade to Windows 8.1.
It certainly does and it will be the first thing I do :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Anyway, just buy pc without any os, because it really is bad to buy windows os like 10 times .... Why should i buy it, when i already bought it with my first laptop ?
You didn't buy it mate, you licensed it for use on that specific machine. If you had bought a transferable retail license you would probably remember as you would have paid more (about double) and have to have explicitly purchased it not just got the OEM version delivered with your PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
I posted how to find the key in the other thread. What are you going to do with it once you find it though? http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27129-product-key-find-windows-8-a.html

Out of the options in the link, I use version 3 of the vbs by Superfly.
Many thanks to him for writing it. :)

You are welcome, David :)

You didn't buy it mate, you licensed it for use on that specific machine. If you had bought a transferable retail license you would probably remember as you would have paid more (about double) and have to have explicitly purchased it not just got the OEM version delivered with your PC.

Agreed.. also regarding retail transfer, it would be great if there was a slmgr command to deactivate (on M$ server) the current install and reactivate the new online, when upgrading PC's...instead of having to jump through hoops with telephone activaton...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Agreed.. also regarding retail transfer, it would be great if there was a slmgr command to deactivate (on M$ server) the current install and reactivate the new online, when upgrading PC's...instead of having to jump through hoops with telephone activaton...
doesn't slmgr.vbs -upk do that? I haven't got the confidence to try it personally in case I'm wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Nope, just uninstalls the key locally -(the opposite of slmgr /ipk) - I was thinking something like the opposite of slmgr /ato.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
I have 3 Windows 8 units... and have had to re-install all of them several times, for various reasons. Every time it is a nightmare, and have had to call Microsoft for verification every time, and the problem persists, because you have to have the identical product key for each machine.

We use Media center, which forces you to upgrade to Windows pro and then install Media Center and each install changes your product key. I hate, HATE, HATE Microsoft for making it so damned hard to use your own legal machine. So even if you do a factory update, you have to make sure you have the identical Pro disk and/or key that you used for that machine. I can't remember if media center key are separate or if you have to use the same key, I think you do.

I have 2 tablets I won't upgrade to 8.1, because it is just to difficult to re-install, if something goes awry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8
I have 3 Windows 8 units... and have had to re-install all of them several times, for various reasons. Every time it is a nightmare, and have had to call Microsoft for verification every time, and the problem persists, because you have to have the identical product key for key machine.

We use Media center, which forces you to upgrade to Windows pro and then install Media Center and each install changes your product key. I hate, HATE, HATE Microsoft for making it so damned hard to use your own legal machine.

I have 2 tablets I won't upgrade to 8.1, because it is just to difficult to re-install, if something goes awry.

Try---

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

{Standard Version}

Restoring an image is easier than restoring an OS from scratch. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I have 3 Windows 8 units... and have had to re-install all of them several times, for various reasons. Every time it is a nightmare, and have had to call Microsoft for verification every time, and the problem persists, because you have to have the identical product key for key machine.

We use Media center, which forces you to upgrade to Windows pro and then install Media Center and each install changes your product key. I hate, HATE, HATE Microsoft for making it so damned hard to use your own legal machine.

Try---

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

{Standard Version}

Restoring an image is easier than restoring an OS from scratch. :)

Amen brother David, amen! :)

Thanks for the reminder, time to image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
I have 3 Windows 8 units... and have had to re-install all of them several times, for various reasons. Every time it is a nightmare, and have had to call Microsoft for verification every time, and the problem persists, because you have to have the identical product key for each machine.

We use Media center, which forces you to upgrade to Windows pro and then install Media Center and each install changes your product key. I hate, HATE, HATE Microsoft for making it so damned hard to use your own legal machine. So even if you do a factory update, you have to make sure you have the identical Pro disk and/or key that you used for that machine. I can't remember if media center key are separate or if you have to use the same key, I think you do.

I've reinstalled Windows 8/8.1 on all my various PC's many times and had no issues. Clean installs, not factory restores. I keep track of what keys were used on what PC. Media Center keys once used are tied to the PC they were used on so I note which key was used on which PC. I only ever had to call Microsoft once for a phone activation of Media Center. I transferred that one key from one dead retired PC to its replacement. Even then it was all automated without having to talk to an actual person. If your not keeping track of what key was used on what PC that could be your issue. You also can not use the same key on more than one PC, if you are doing that then you are going to have activation issues for sure. Are your Pro keys full retail keys or Pro Pack keys? If they are full retail keys you can skip installing Core and then upgrading to Pro. Adding a PID.txt file to the sources folder of your install media will let you bypass using the embedded OEM BIOS key and install Pro from a clean install. You can't do that with Media Center though. You can't install with a Media center key.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

It is total BS.

I've reinstalled Windows 8/8.1 on all my various PC's many times and had no issues. Clean installs, not factory restores. I keep track of what keys were used on what PC. Media Center keys once used are tied to the PC they were used on so I note which key was used on which PC. I only ever had to call Microsoft once for a phone activation of Media Center. I transferred that one key from one dead retired PC to its replacement. Even then it was all automated without having to talk to an actual person. If your not keeping track of what key was used on what PC that could be your issue. You also can not use the same key on more than one PC, if you are doing that then you are going to have activation issues for sure. Are your Pro keys full retail keys or Pro Pack keys? If they are full retail keys you can skip installing Core and then upgrading to Pro. Adding a PID.txt file to the sources folder of your install media will let you bypass using the embedded OEM BIOS key and install Pro from a clean install. You can't do that with Media Center though. You can't install with a Media center key.
They are Pro full retail keys, but, i prefer to keep some programs that came pre-installed with the machine, I lose those if I do an over write. All I know is, that I have never had the issues with Windows 7, Vista, XP when it came to installing, I could reinstall to any unit I wanted. And not to give you the retail key from the manufacturer is garbage too. At least if I lost a had disk before I had the original manufacturer key I could use to install. We pay extra to have Windows pre-installed on a machine, I want the key to be able to use it where ever I want. I paid for it.

It is total BS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 & 8

Even more so, if i have bought just windows, then it is a real pain in the ass trying to find a good laptop without os. Anyway, all those very confusing licenses are bulls***, and it doesnt work on me, so i do whatever i want :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 x64
There is talk the activation and upgrade process in Windows 9 will be a lot easier.... let's wait and see :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Embedded, OEM keys do have advantages. For one, you'll never lose it. Or have to worry about the number being rubbed off of a worn COA sticker to where you can't read it. If you have legit official install media you normally don't need to even know what it is. Microsoft install media will read and use it automatically. The one big drawback, at this time, is the OEM's not supplying real install media with a new PC. This isn't anything new though. They did it with Windows 7 too. And even when you got disks a lot of the time they were recovery disks not Windows install Media. The embedded keys actually make life easier. With Windows 7 and earlier, to use the OEM BIOS SLIC table you had to nave custom install media from that OEM, Normal Windows Retail disks won't use the SLIC table. If you had one of those disks you had to use the code on the COA sticker, if you could read it that is. If it was missing or worn so you couldn't read it you were SOL and had to buy a new Windows License. With the embedded key, it always going to be there and always usable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard