"Automatically go to the Desktop" feature available in Windows 8 RTM!

I've copied this from a post i made on another Win8 forum that had also made the same mistake in thinking it was an option from Microsoft.

The info and images come from WinUnleaked, if you click the link to WinUnleaked go to page 3 then go to the third post on that page and scroll down to "Clean Question Box" you get what i think people are refering to, but click the link under it and it takes you to Paul Thurrotts Winsupersite He's not talking about a Microsoft option at all but Stardock's Start8 nothing more.

Now i've got to go and rescue laptop from wife before she throws it across the room, yes you've guessed it I've just given her a spare laptop with Win8 on it, she's never seen Win8 before and i can hear by her shouting at me that have a BIG PROBLEM
Regards
Aquatarkus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    AMD AM3+ Bulldozer FX-8 8150
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 7850 2 gig
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3 x Iiyama Prolite E2773HS (IPS)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 3
    Hard Drives
    1 x Kingston 240gig HyperX 3K SSD
    1 x 1TB Hitachi Sata III drive
    12 x TB storage on server
    PSU
    Corsair TXM 850watt Modular
    Case
    Thermaltake Shark
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H60
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 touchpad
    Internet Speed
    120mb (Virgin Media
Now i've got to go and rescue laptop from wife before she throws it across the room, yes you've guessed it I've just given her a spare laptop with Win8 on it, she's never seen Win8 before and i can hear by her shouting at me that have a BIG PROBLEM
Regards
Aquatarkus

Hahaha, you are SO mean! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Yes that was this morning, no i wasn't being mean, I just thought ok, wife is used to her laptop (XP) and a couple of my pcs running Win7 what will happen if we brought her a new laptop in October which will have Win8 on it, how will she get on. (ok i already knew the answer)
But the point was that this is going to happen all over, You should see her trying to find "My Documents" "My Computer" etc, and you should have seen her face when she hit the internet explorer metro icon, and metro IE opened up. She's now had a play for a couple of hours and her view is unprintable but to give you an idea it's F*****g Rubbish. I'm not using that.
And the sad thing is i can see that happening in nearly every house hold.

Regards
Aquatarkus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro
    Self Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 7850 2 gig
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 3
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Shark
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H60
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 touchpad
    Internet Speed
    120mb (Virgin Media
Yes, the entire paradigm of going from a document centric "producer" view of the world to a purely app centric "consumer" view is going to be quite the shock for many. At least to anyone that still produces.

I think Windows 8 is basically trying to turn itself into your TV. Something you sit in front of and drool at and typing no more than 160 characters at a time on. Not something you actually work on photographs or videos or writing or making music or programming or creating web sites or producing art or doing 3d animation or any of the other 1000 things people "used to" do on Windows. (And that list is just /some/ of the things that I personally do on my Windows machines)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Yes that was this morning, no i wasn't being mean, I just thought ok, wife is used to her laptop (XP) and a couple of my pcs running Win7 what will happen if we brought her a new laptop in October which will have Win8 on it, how will she get on. (ok i already knew the answer)
But the point was that this is going to happen all over, You should see her trying to find "My Documents" "My Computer" etc, and you should have seen her face when she hit the internet explorer metro icon, and metro IE opened up. She's now had a play for a couple of hours and her view is unprintable but to give you an idea it's F*****g Rubbish. I'm not using that.

Regards
Aquatarkus

:ditto:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes, the entire paradigm of going from a document centric "producer" view of the world to a purely app centric "consumer" view is going to be quite the shock for many. At least to anyone that still produces.

I think Windows 8 is basically trying to turn itself into your TV. Something you sit in front of and drool at and typing no more than 160 characters at a time on. Not something you actually work on photographs or videos or writing or making music or programming or creating web sites or producing art or doing 3d animation or any of the other 1000 things people "used to" do on Windows. (And that list is just /some/ of the things that I personally do on my Windows machines)

:ditto:

Wow - two sensible posts in a row - by two different people. Not often you get that in this forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Hi there
these days LIVE TV is itself getting viewed less and less as people discover other methods of obtaining and viewing content.

About the ONLY time I ever think of live TV these days is when I'm in a Sports bar watching live action such as Golf, Footie (European or S. American version) , rugby, cricket / Olympic Games etc.

When you obtain your own content you can skip the endless mindless commercials that Live TV seems to insist on showing -- making an exodus from Live TV even quicker than it already is.

The days of Network TV with their incessant childish commercials every few minutes isn't long any more for this world.

People might need to earn money but driving the customer base away isn't a good business model. ABC / CBS/NBC etc as they currentl operate is now a TOTALLY FAILED business model -- and a few rear guard actions into "Piracy" etc and persuing a few teenagers halfway around the globe for downloading a movie or two while leaving the major source (China, Taiwan etc) untouched doesn't solve their problem either --just makes them look even more impotent and silly as they already are.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Microsoft has added "Automatically go to the Desktop" feature in Windows 8 RTM. So those who wish to avoid Metro screen at start can directly to to their desktops!

Windows 8 RTM Explorer UI, Bootscreen, Wallpapers, Customization & changes in Internet Explorer 10 Revealed-Windows8Consumer.IN

Please enlighten me.
What am I missing?
Don't we already have this capability in Win 8 RP ?......
Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2894-log-user-account-automatically-windows-8-startup.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    Acer Aspire 7741Z
He means boot to the desktop - not boot to the phone ui ( Metro)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Regards
Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus, tell her to get over it. Microsoft DOES not support her Windows XP anymore, and she will like Windows 8 MUCH better. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail

Regards
Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus, tell her to get over it. Microsoft DOES not support her Windows XP anymore, and she will like Windows 8 MUCH better. :)

You want to tell my wife, to GET OVER IT!, your a much braver man than i, you really wouldn't want to see my wife in full flight.

She doesn't know (or even care) that Microsoft doesn't support XP any more and there are probably millions in exactly the same position. XP works thats all that maters to her and again millions like her, if she wants a new laptop she'll want one with Win7 on it. After todays experience she'll never go near Win8 again unless i customise it to make it look like win xp or 7 and she never see's the metro UI again.

regards

Aquatarkus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro
    Self Build
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 7850 2 gig
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 3
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Shark
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H60
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 touchpad
    Internet Speed
    120mb (Virgin Media
OMG please do not bring ones beloved wife into the arguments for or against W8.
I had months of grief when I moved her system from 95 to XP,
I am to old to face that problem all over again, I did not even put W7 up as she has carefully organised all her docs/pictures/music etc into her own folders to which she has shortcuts over the last 15 years.

But there again she does use apps on her Iphone and would use them on W8 the difficulty would arise the moment she tried the desktop.

However in the spirit of compromise I have had ago in the other thread a with my own view of a possible solution
http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/7625-what-i-think-windows-8-should-look-like.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp , 7Pro, 8RP, Android phone, Tablet
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    q6600@3Ghz, amd 965 etc etc
    Motherboard
    gigabyte
    Memory
    8gb per
    Graphics Card(s)
    gts450 ,560gt etc
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3xsamsung 24in
    Screen Resolution
    3, 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    To many! spread across 4 desktops,3 laptops 1 netbook
    ssd, sata 3's ide etc
    PSU
    Hyper Modular 600W
    Case
    lian li
    Cooling
    artic
    Internet Speed
    60Mb
    Other Info
    Basically the house has 4 desktops 3 in the study + the wifes,
    3 laptops 1 netbook 2 android tablets 2 android smart phones
    and ipad and iphone
Can one login to Windows 8 without a password?

A related question regarding logging into Windows 8: I would like to know if in the RTM release of Windows 8, will it be possible enter Windows 8 without the need of a password to login (as is the case in previous Windows versions) and thus bypass the password login screen when I bring up Windows 8? I tried to change my original password in the current Release by entering my old password in the USERS section, then entering nothing in the "new password" sections, but the OS would not allow me to do this. Any advice on this for the Preview copy (version 8400) as well as the RTM final release version coming up?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 eval version 8400
    PowerSpec
    CPU
    Pentium 4 Quad core
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
I don't know about removing passwords that exist as I do not use any.
However assuming you have no password set up when upgrading from W7 or a clean install of W8
When you reach the screen log in with your windows live user name/password DO NOT just click next
then the next screen will say something like: log in with a local user name /password.
Enter user name you wish leave password blank then apply or next.
Do not know about W8 RTM, MS seem very keen to get people onto windows live for obvious reasons.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp , 7Pro, 8RP, Android phone, Tablet
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    q6600@3Ghz, amd 965 etc etc
    Motherboard
    gigabyte
    Memory
    8gb per
    Graphics Card(s)
    gts450 ,560gt etc
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3xsamsung 24in
    Screen Resolution
    3, 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    To many! spread across 4 desktops,3 laptops 1 netbook
    ssd, sata 3's ide etc
    PSU
    Hyper Modular 600W
    Case
    lian li
    Cooling
    artic
    Internet Speed
    60Mb
    Other Info
    Basically the house has 4 desktops 3 in the study + the wifes,
    3 laptops 1 netbook 2 android tablets 2 android smart phones
    and ipad and iphone
They have managed to make it look more horrible with each new piece of information. Don't get me wrong the system itself isn't bad. But the User Interface obviously needs work. I mean the FLAT icons and then you get glossy icons for folders and other items? And the revert button is semi-glossy and that's the exact amount of detail I'd prefer not SUPER flat and not SUPER 3D but they've clashed their SUPER flat with their detailed super glossy icons. What a train-wreck.

My Computer

I do think the default Start Screen in Windows 8 is daunting a bit. I wonder if it's Microsoft setting the stage for metro apps to show them off, as I believe the Libraries NEED to be at least pinned on the Start Screen by default. But, as the Start Screen can form into what one can shape it, one can have Libraries pinned to it, or whatever for that matter. By point is, Desktop items have to be on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back