Are you happy with Metro being on Windows 8 Desktop?

I don't care for it. On a tablet or touchscreen it would probably be fine, on my desktop or laptop, it's simply a nuisance.

+1 :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
And why do we need this? Why not make the apps Windows compatible? Why Metro-only apps? Why a separate workspace? Why a separate workspace subsystem? Why an UI in the UI? Didn't we have DOS for the same effect? Weren't we happy when finaly all DOS apps were replaced by Windows apps? Why returning the DOS look-alike model 20 years later?

Because it's impossible to make Win32 apps be compatible on an ARM processor. Because Win32 apps that use menus and tiny toolbar buttons don't work on touch interfaces. Because clicking and dragging windows around a screen doesn't work well in a touch interface.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
You will have trouble removing it.

Ms have deliberately infiltrated the thing so it is difficult to get rid of.

It started after the WDP release - I think they saw most were using the desktop and ignoring metro - they panicked and with successive builds they starting spreading metro like a terminal disease.

No need for it - the reason people were ignoring it in WDP was there was nothing much to use it for - but they misunderstood the telemetry.

I don't understand the purpose of Metro at all.
Why didn't they just make it a desktop integration/modification that displays fancy icons and widgets? What's the point of running it on TOP of an existing desktop and applications?
It's clear that its solely aimed at mobile devices and serves little purpose in a desktop environment.

If it was possible to completely disable and remove it, I would.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Because it is made for a glorified phone.

It is not made with desktop users as a priority.

And why do we need this? Why not make the apps Windows compatible? Why Metro-only apps? Why a separate workspace? Why a separate workspace subsystem? Why an UI in the UI? Didn't we have DOS for the same effect? Weren't we happy when finaly all DOS apps were replaced by Windows apps? Why returning the DOS look-alike model 20 years later?

Because it's impossible to make Win32 apps be compatible on an ARM processor. Because Win32 apps that use menus and tiny toolbar buttons don't work on touch interfaces. Because clicking and dragging windows around a screen doesn't work well in a touch interface.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I don't understand the purpose of Metro at all.
Why didn't they just make it a desktop integration/modification that displays fancy icons and widgets? What's the point of running it on TOP of an existing desktop and applications?

Metro is not just a "feature" like the Gadgets in Windows 7. This is the thing most people don't understand.

Metro is an entirely new operating system. It runs side-by-side with the old Windows. It's not just some simple API they added on to things. This is the first step in migrating the application base to the new platform that will work across different CPU's and architectures (Phone, Tablet, and PC).

This being the "first step", it's not as mature as Win32 is (the traditional OS) and it will take some time to mature. Microsoft chose to do this "dual OS" route rather than do the route that Apple did, when they converted everyone from PowerPC to x86 (that used emulation). Using the apple approach would mean that existing performance applications, like games, would probably run 10x slower, and use a LOT more resources.

It's clear that its solely aimed at mobile devices and serves little purpose in a desktop environment.

If it was possible to completely disable and remove it, I would.

No, it's not aimed solely at mobile devices. It's aimed at *ALL* devices. It's a UI that works for everything.

The problem most people have is that it's not the same as they are used to, so they conclude that it's not aimed at desktops because, in their mind, the old UI is the only way a desktop can work. That's simply not the case. I have asked this question of a lot of people, and nobody can ever give me a straight answer about how the UI is so unusable on a desktop. They always talk about how it's not usable with a keyboard and mouse, which is totally false. it's very usable with a keyboard and mouse.

The only argument, in my mind, that is valid is the full screen one. And while I agree that it's not ideal, it's not a deal breaker. Most of my apps are WIn32 apps, and that will continue to be the case for a long time to come. But I still like Metro and can see the potential there.

Think of it like this. Other than the start screen (which, by the way, most people think is Metro.. it's not, it just LOOKS like metro, it's actually a Win32 app), I think of Metro apps the same way I would think of a video game emulation console, or a virtual machine.

I really don't understand the "I want to get rid of it" mentality. If you don't use any metro apps, you never have to use Metro. But it's there if you want it. It's completely out of the way and won't interfere with you or anything if you don't want to use it.

If you don't like the new start menu, that's fine. But the start menu is *NOT* metro. It's a Win32 app that has been styled to look like Metro.

Mystere, I must say, a great post and great thesis. You have explained 8 better than anyone ever so far. My hat off to you, sir!

mdmd, are you paying attention? You're good indeed, but I think as long as it Mystere is around you'll be second best. Can anyone name the movie?....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
mdmd, are you paying attention? You're good indeed, but I think as long as it Mystere is around you'll be second best. Can anyone name the movie?....

I am. Don't believe I am anything. My days of writing code in Report Program Generator, COBOL, Assembly, Pascal, Basic and C++ are long since over. My experience is understanding how a CPU and motherboard work. ... If that were not complex enough, I am unable to convince anyone that Windows 8 is a good thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
I still like this one.

This symbiosis of characteristics had to be intentional on the part of Microsoft engineers because the interface works so cleanly , all while the desktop offers the user the familiar interface and full-fledged applications we have all come to know and love for sit down productivity sessions.

The Microsoft Apps market, like the Android and Apple Markets, provide the user with the casual apps one would need for things like weather, news, sport highlights and gaming.

The two environments function as one to a point where they flow together in a way that forces one to forget that the OS is still just Windows. The user is engulfed by the experience once the learning curve has been achieved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Why returning the DOS look-alike model 20 years later?

I used to like DOS. It was fast. After the BIOS post, what was it, 2 seconds?
Perhaps the billions of errors like these has a little to do with it.

View attachment 10359

this is so funny like if DOS never crash

dos.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
this is so funny like if DOS never crash

I never said DOS didn't crash. Curious what would cause that, however. Was that image taken from a DOS box Windowed inside a GUI? Who said DOS never crashed? There were always issues when trying to write to disk that was not allowed. I think the point is that WinRT may be a direction to get MS away from the Windows NT model. There seems to be too many errors. Something is wrong. Either users are messing up or there are too many incompatibilities. Also, MS systems are not perfect. Apple is not perfect. UNIX is not perfect.
Metro is a controversial topic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
I am. Don't believe I am anything. My days of writing code in Report Program Generator, COBOL, Assembly, Pascal, Basic and C++ are long since over. My experience is understanding how a CPU and motherboard work. ... If that were not complex enough, I am unable to convince anyone that Windows 8 is a good thing.

Some how I always get myself into this kind of mess. A bad habit of mine. I speak before I think, therefore I post before I think. :eek: I read Mystyres's post and immediately thought of you. My sincere apology comparing you to anyone. You are unique in every way. Please forgive me.

Yes. We are not here to convince anyone of anything. Each human being is unique in there perspective. But, I love a great debate!

Thanks for pointing out 8Nation's post. A great statement indeed! Realistic and poetic. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Didn't like metro when I first saw it months ago. Nothing has changed for me. I don't use it for anything. It is just in my way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
Back