Solved All apps and Charm Bar missing from Desktop

Funny thing I just noticed when opening the cmd prompt. It opened as:
Administrator : X:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe

Where on earth did the X come from? I have never seen such a thing.

Also while I am at it how on earth do you create the right pointing ^ in the cmd prompt window?

Thanks All,
KAHSR

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Funny thing I just noticed when opening the cmd prompt. It opened as:
Administrator : X:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe

Where on earth did the X come from? I have never seen such a thing.

Also while I am at it how on earth do you create the right pointing ^ in the cmd prompt window?

Thanks All,
KAHSR

I don't know where the red X came from, but you'll find the right and left pointing arrow (<) on the comma (,) key and the right pointing arrow (>) on the period (.) key. Of course, the shift key will get you there. :doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Ah, sorry the X isn't red I just used the red font to flag it. I would think I should be brought to the C:\ drive not an X drive.

You know, I knew darned well I had used the > before and never thought to look that far down on the keyboard. Thank you for that, it was really making me nuttier than I already am. That machine is really making me loose it. I have never had to send a machine out to a shop I have always been able to repair them. I started out with a Commodore 64 in 1978 (sure wish I still had it) so I am not a newbie at this. You sure would think so though when I couldn't remember how to type a > :)

Thanks again :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Ah, sorry the X isn't red I just used the red font to flag it. I would think I should be brought to the C:\ drive not an X drive.

You know, I knew darned well I had used the > before and never thought to look that far down on the keyboard. Thank you for that, it was really making me nuttier than I already am. That machine is really making me loose it. I have never had to send a machine out to a shop I have always been able to repair them. I started out with a Commodore 64 in 1978 (sure wish I still had it) so I am not a newbie at this. You sure would think so though when I couldn't remember how to type a > :)

Thanks again :)

hehehe . . . I know, I know; been there, done that too! Many times over.

My first one was a Radio Shack Color Computer, affectionately known as the CoCo. Started out with 4K RAM and moved up from there. Last one had a 64 MB hard drive; moving on uptown! One of my best friends had a Commodore 64.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Thanks for everything everyone. I ended up doing a reinstall via disks purchased from HP. Everything worked as planned, now I just have to repeat all of the tweaks I had previously made for her. I also plan to install Malwarebytes Pro to the machine.

I found out yesterday that she never renewed the preinstalled Norton after the free 60 days. She said she tried to but couldn't figure it out. I have to figure this is why she got such a bad attack on the machine.

I never particularly liked Norton as it is just too intrusive on one's machine. After installing Malwarebytes I will be completely removing Norton as I normally do.

Thanks all, I just wanted everyone know the final outcome :).

KAHSR

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Thanks for everything everyone. I ended up doing a reinstall via disks purchased from HP. Everything worked as planned, now I just have to repeat all of the tweaks I had previously made for her. I also plan to install Malwarebytes Pro to the machine.

Very good to know, K!

I found out yesterday that she never renewed the preinstalled Norton after the free 60 days. She said she tried to but couldn't figure it out. I have to figure this is why she got such a bad attack on the machine.

Aha! So it was a malware attack and it's good that you didn't slave the drive to another computer!

I never particularly liked Norton as it is just too intrusive on one's machine. After installing Malwarebytes I will be completely removing Norton as I normally do.

Long years ago, when I belonged to a computer club (HAL-PC), I was asked to review and compare Norton and McAfee AVs for our magazine. Norton was particularly egregious in that it showed me (looky what I found!) about a dozen (false positives) types of virus supposedly on my computer. That was before malware was so rampant! McAfee wasn't much better, so every time I worked on someone's computer, I would remove whichever version was present and install one of the free ones.

For the past several years, I've been beta testing various versions of Microsoft's AVs. For my money (free), they're the best out there. Of course, a free version of Malwarebytes has been included with Microsoft OS's for some time now. And the price of the paid version is very affordable too.

Thanks all, I just wanted everyone know the final outcome :).

KAHSR

You are very welcome!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU