27,000 bytes sent to markmonitor.com - why?

brokensoftware

As most of us know, Windows makes about 479 connections to markmonitor.com for whatever reason it has, none of which seem to be clearly revealed yet (for example, while typing this post my PC has 5 port 443 connections to markmontor.com - one by explorer.exe, one by malwarebytes, and three by firefox).

I don't do a whole lot of downloading of anything other than software packages that, typically and usually, are free and/or I've donated money for them or whatever. One of those pieces of software that I just updated was PrivaZer a data cleaner ala CCleaner.

Right after I downloaded that the 27,000 bytes worth of data was sent off by something-Microsoft, probably explorer.exe, to markmonitor.com (alas, I did not note how many packets that was).

Simple question - why? - especially if this upload was related to my quite legal and aboveboard update of an existing program.

Has anyone REALLY looked further into the data that is being collected and sent off to markmonitor.com? Internet searches for answers to these questions are overwhelmed with run-of-the-mill descriptions of the corporate side of markmonitor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10, various Linux
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    homebuilt
Back