0x 000000005D - please show me the magic!

Yes, you're now into unsupported hardware land, unfortunately. Even if you were to install it on a system that DID have NX support built in, image it, and move it over to a system without, the OS checks certain things on boot and will bugcheck 0x5D as soon as it finds a CPU that doesn't meet the minimum requirements. I suppose (if you knew where that check was) that you could try to fool it, but ultimately Windows 8 RTM *requires* NX (not only for DEP, but some of the appcontainer sandboxing and the like), and if your system's CPU doesn't have it, you shouldn't try to run Windows 8 on that machine. Stick to Windows 7 or something else that doesn't require newer hardware, and you should find the hardware continues to serve you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Yes. I agree with you. It's the first time we have a version fo Windows which requirements are not based on speed and ram volume but on other, less known things.
Perhaps there are a couple (or a dozen) of other things beside NX which makes it incompatible with older hardware. Because I can't believe it can be that buggy. Even when there is no bootable device in the tower there some sort of intelligible message. Here it's only wierd behavior, typical of an OS which thinks it reacts as it should while it doesn't. Maybe my graphic card is also too old, but not for the reasons we would naturaly mention. Or something else.
I was very interrested and motivated to try W8 on this computer. But, yes given the fact that I would neer run the RTM version on it, it was mostly for the challenge. I hate to fail to do something on a computer. You can't believe how I feel diminished after such a shameful failure -LOL- ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Awww - it's not shameful to run old hardware if it still works and does what it needs to do for you. It might be time to get some new hardware when you do want to upgrade (almost any OS will run quite well on more modern hardware with better security, stability, etc), but you don't have to do so. I think you and the environment have gotten good use out of your old hardware though, so you can feel good about that - if you recycle it when you do end up getting new hardware at some point, you can feel even better :).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
I must admit - I'm an Electronics Tech and I felt creepy when I started spinning circles with Win8 Pro and Enterprise RTM. I think I can make anything work, new or old. I found the dividing line was between Consumer Preview Build 8250 and Release Preview Build 8400. NX begins to take control on 8400 and, if you do the Developer Preview or the Consumer Preview, it WILL install. I've got less than 1 GB and install from setup.exe in the Sources folder. I take an Evaluation Copy and simply make it work. I've seen somew stuff on YouTube that uses much older hardware and brings Win 8 to the table. Hardware before 2000 will run if you know how to tweak it out. Me ? I don't know spit but it is running. Goodday.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
Back