Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Classic Shell for Windows 8

  1. #171


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I usually go to the control panel and see if there are any updates. The control panel always says you are up to date and have automatic updates installed. So when I click on check for updates, lo and behold I get a pile of new updates, critical and not. With Windows 7, the updates start loading pretty much as soon as I start the PC.

    But the major problem with Windows 8, when Classic Shell is installed, is that the updates tend to fail. This has happened three times now, so I completely removed Classic Shell and don't now have these problems. Of course this makes Windows 8 a pain in the ring to work with, so it's an annoying issue.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #172


    Posts : 30
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by todphillipo View Post
    im having trouble with windows 8 running properly, ive only downloaded 4 things other than updates and it seems to be frezzeing up alot in past few days. and it seems to be acting kinda...slow witht the touch pad. ive only down loaded skype, java, kaspersky anti virus and google chrome. i cant figure out what is up with it. im half tempted to take it back to best uy and tell um to figure it out or give me my money back since i only had it for a month.
    A friend of mine has the same problem - slow PC, not worked Apps. He solved the problem by ininstalling Kaspersky.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #173


    Posts : 158
    Windows 7


    I'm still not clear what you mean when you say that the updates fail. Do they fail to install? Do they install but fail to do their updatey stuff?

    Classic Shell doesn't do anything that can interfere with updates directly. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you are not doing a proper restart, but instead you just shut down. If you shut down from the start menu, it will do a hybrid shutdown, which is a form of hibernation. You need to hold down Shift for a full shutdown.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #174


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    They simply fail to install and I get an error message saying 'updates failed to install'. I didn't know what was going on until I did some web searching and there were several references to Classic Shell affecting updates. I've been doing Windows updates for a long time, so I do know how to do them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #175


    Posts : 158
    Windows 7


    Do you get an error code or an entry into the event viewer?

    A quick search failed to uncover other reports about Classic Shell and failed updates. Can you share the links you found? Few more datapoints will help me get to the bottom of this.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #176


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    I get a failure report in the update screen of control panel/update screen. Classic Shell installed, frequent update failures. Classic Shell not installed, no update failures.

    I'm going to be away for a while, so probably won't be able to further respond until I get back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #177


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Show Desktop is already there. It's at the bottom right corner, just to the right of the clock, put mouse at bottom right corner and click, then click again to bring apps back up.
    Same as in Win7.
    Unfortunately, there's no "Show Desktop" icon anywhere on the Classic Shell's taskbar in my Win8 laptop (except for the one I just added per NiFu's post). The "Show Desktop" icon is on my Win7 taskbar next to the clock as you mentioned.

    Thanks,
    Skyzoomer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #178


    Quote Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
    If you shut down from the start menu, it will do a hybrid shutdown, which is a form of hibernation. You need to hold down Shift for a full shutdown.
    FWIW, I have not had any problems doing Win8 updates. I shutdown using a shortcut on my desktop.

    Ivo, does this shortcut do a full or hibernate shutdown?

    %windir%\System32]shutdown.exe /s /t0


    Thanks,
    Skyzoomer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #179


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Show Desktop on the very right

    Attachment 13134
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #180


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by skyzoomer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
    If you shut down from the start menu, it will do a hybrid shutdown, which is a form of hibernation. You need to hold down Shift for a full shutdown.
    FWIW, I have not had any problems doing Win8 updates. I shutdown using a shortcut on my desktop.

    Ivo, does this shortcut do a full or hibernate shutdown?

    %windir%\System32]shutdown.exe /s /t0


    Thanks,
    Skyzoomer
    This is a hybridshutdown
    Shutdown -s -f -t 00 -hybrid

    hibernate
    Shutdown -h

    Normal shutdown
    shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

    /s is for shutdown (normal shutdown) the /t is for time before shutdown, 0 is immediate, no waiting

    The reason to put in /t 00 is that the default without using /t is 30 seconds.

    at the c:\ prompt type shutdown /? and you will get this... and a little more that I am not posting

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>shutdown /?
    Usage: shutdown [/i | /l | /s | /r | /g | /a | /p | /h | /e | /o] [/hybrid] [/f]

    [/m \\computer][/t xxx][/d [p|u:]xx:yy [/c "comment"]]

    No args Display help. This is the same as typing /?.
    /? Display help. This is the same as not typing any options.
    /i Display the graphical user interface (GUI).
    This must be the first option.
    /l Log off. This cannot be used with /m or /d options.
    /s Shutdown the computer.
    /r Full shutdown and restart the computer.
    /g Full shutdown and restart the computer. After the system is
    rebooted, restart any registered applications.
    /a Abort a system shutdown.
    This can only be used during the time-out period.
    /p Turn off the local computer with no time-out or warning.
    Can be used with /d and /f options.
    /h Hibernate the local computer.
    Can be used with the /f option.
    /hybrid Performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.
    Must be used with /s option.
    /e Document the reason for an unexpected shutdown of a computer.
    /o Go to the advanced boot options menu and restart the computer.
    Must be used with /r option.
    /m \\computer Specify the target computer.
    /t xxx Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
    The valid range is 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30.
    If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f parameter is
    implied.
    /c "comment" Comment on the reason for the restart or shutdown.
    Maximum of 512 characters allowed.
    /f Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
    The /f parameter is implied when a value greater than 0 is
    specified for the /t parameter.
    /d [p|u:]xx:yy Provide the reason for the restart or shutdown.
    p indicates that the restart or shutdown is planned.
    u indicates that the reason is user defined.
    If neither p nor u is specified the restart or shutdown is
    unplanned.
    xx is the major reason number (positive integer less than 256).
    yy is the minor reason number (positive integer less than 65536).

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Classic Shell for Windows 8
Related Threads
Hey guys, I have a rather st**id problem. I installed Windows 8.1 on my new lap top a few days ago (Thanks Superfly and popeye). Then I wanted to make it look and function more like Windows 7, so I installed Classic Shell and got my Start button to look and function as it does on Windows 7...
Classic Shell in Software and Apps
Hi With the imminent arrival of windows 8.1.1 update (April 7 2014) a question has crossed my mind, I have used classic shell so as to help me over the no start menu, my simple question is should I uninstall this now in ANTICIPATION of a new start menu from Microsoft or is this wishful thinking ...
I never like upgrades, so am planning on a format (Samsung SSD) and a clean install of Win 8.1 from the image I downloaded. However I have one (biggish to me) concern, I still like to use a program called (Ex7forW8exe) this gives me the Windows 7 lookalike/classic shell, Start button and Start...
Solved Classic shell in Software and Apps
I just updated to windows 8.1 and cannot get the classic shell to work. I have downloaded it but was not asked which form I wanted and so far there is no start button. I cannot find the program anywhere. Also I cannot get avast to open. Is this another glitch in windows?
Classic Shell in Customization
I'm using Classic shell (Welcome to Classic Shell) I can't see me ever using the Metro Start screen.
We have released a skin for Classic Shell. It looks good in Windows 8, much better than default skins. The skins shipping as part of Classic Shell do not match the look of the Windows 7 Start Menu or the style of Windows 8. Many settings also need to be heavily tweaked to get a more closer...
classic shell in Software and Apps
So i just installed classic shell and set it to the windows 7 style theme. The only thing i don't like is that when you click all programs or apps your get the way windows XP shows all apps in another pop out menu. Is there a way to get classic shell do it like windows 7aand like show the apps in...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook