Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Corrupt files found but not fixed in SFC /Scannow

  1. #31


    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 x64 with 8.1 Update


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Post #15:
    With my PC: When in Windows, the reserved partition is hidden and Windows OS partition is C drive.
    When in Command Prompt, the reserved partition is now assigned to C drive and the Windows OS partition is assigned to H drive. So you need to find out what they are for your PC from diskpart.

    With my PC: the command would be:
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=H:\Windows
    Hi

    Yes I was right, I am THICK, I missed the first c: and entered f: for both the offbootdir and the offwindir, I will redo it as soon as I can.

    I appreciate your help and patience.

    Regards

    Daniel

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 x64 with 8.1 Update


    Hi

    I now have a seperate but related problem/question.

    A good friend suggested I run CHKDSK C: /F /R before antyhing else, so that is what I did, BIG MISTAKE, the scan was scheduled for the next boot but stopped at 12%, I left it for six hours and it went nowhere.

    So I switched off and on again but when the pC starts the scan starts again and stops at 12%.

    Any ideas how I can prevent this scan from running?

    Thanks

    Daniel
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    Hi

    I now have a seperate but related problem/question.

    A good friend suggested I run CHKDSK C: /F /R before antyhing else, so that is what I did, BIG MISTAKE, the scan was scheduled for the next boot but stopped at 12%, I left it for six hours and it went nowhere.

    So I switched off and on again but when the pC starts the scan starts again and stops at 12%.

    Any ideas how I can prevent this scan from running?

    Thanks

    Daniel
    Hi Daniel,
    No, this is not a mistake and your friend is probably right. Chkdsk with /r option will sometimes take a long long time to correct depending on the capacity and how bad is your HD with corruption. My suggestion is to let it run until done. Please be patient.
    FYI, Take a look at this thread: How does image/store get dirty and/or corrupted?

    BTW, to disable chkdsk at startup. Open the elevated command prompt and type: chkntfs /x c:
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 x64 with 8.1 Update


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daniellouwrens View Post
    Hi

    I now have a seperate but related problem/question.

    A good friend suggested I run CHKDSK C: /F /R before antyhing else, so that is what I did, BIG MISTAKE, the scan was scheduled for the next boot but stopped at 12%, I left it for six hours and it went nowhere.

    So I switched off and on again but when the pC starts the scan starts again and stops at 12%.

    Any ideas how I can prevent this scan from running?

    Thanks

    Daniel
    BTW, to disable chkdsk at startup. Open the elevated command prompt and type: chkntfs /x c:
    Hi

    it has now been running for 14 Hrs at 12%, I do not believe it is going anywhere and would like to boot into the OS,

    I assume that chkntfs /x c: needs to be run within the OS or can I run it after booting into the Install Disk?

    Thanks

    Daniel
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    My bad. Yes, you need to run it under Windows. In the previous version of Windows, you have about ten seconds to hit any key to abort. With Windows 8, you have 1 second to hit any key to abort, you'll see a flashing message before chkdsk is run so you have to be real quick.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 x64 with 8.1 Update


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    My bad. Yes, you need to run it under Windows. In the previous version of Windows, you have about ten seconds to hit any key to abort. With Windows 8, you have 1 second to hit any key to abort, you'll see a flashing message before chkdsk is run so you have to be real quick.
    Yes I've seen the message, I think it means 1 millisecond because I tried several times to abort but it just goes on and runs,
    reading some posts on the subject it seems it may be best to do as you say and let it run, I'll leave it for 24 hours then if it still reads 12% I will reinstall the OS, or I may try a refresh or similar.

    Cheers

    Daniel
    Last edited by daniellouwrens; 09 Nov 2013 at 17:20.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Actually it is boiling down to your HD may be badly corrupted and cannot be fixed by sfc. If it is still not fixed then I would recommend to use another HD to re-install Windows or if you have a backup image then restore to the new HD.

    Good luck !!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 x64 with 8.1 Update


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Actually it is boiling down to your HD may be badly corrupted and cannot be fixed by sfc. If it is still not fixed then I would recommend to use another HD to re-install Windows or if you have a backup image then restore to the new HD.

    Good luck !!!
    Hi

    I ran the HDD through Seatools with no issues, that is why I tried SFC.

    I'll check out my options.

    Cheers

    Daniel
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 214
    Windows 8.1 x64 with 8.1 Update


    Hi

    I tried to run the offline scan
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=e:\windows
    but again I got the result "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair services"

    Please consider and tell me what I should do.

    Regards

    Daniel
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Can you reboot back into Windows now ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Corrupt files found but not fixed in SFC /Scannow
Related Threads
Solved sfc /scannow can't fix corrupt files. in Performance & Maintenance
Hello! After running the sfc /scannow at command prompt, as administrator, here's what it says: Im at windows 8.1. CBS.log AND sfcdetails are attached to this post.
Corrupt files not fixed by SFC in General Support
My desktop (Dell Optiplex 755, W8.1 Pro 32-bit, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 2.33GHz) has been playing up over the weekend. 1) Have run restore point 30 June. 2) Sometines beeping (seems like 3-2-3) & not starting. Have removed the 3 RAM sticks, & replaced one at a time. All allowed...
Scannow reported Windows Resource Protection found found corrupt files unable to fix some of them' OS= Windows 8.1 Update 1 x64bit. I have the CBS.log and dism.log When I ran the DISM.exe command to RestoreHealth it reported an error that it could not download source files. sfcdetails: ...
Microsoft Windows (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Solved massive number of corrupt files - scannow in Performance & Maintenance
My sons computer just built 2 months ago. Runs fine for him except a problem with printing...spooler service stops every time just a few seconds after starting it again. Was trying some solutions from this forum and got to step run sfc/scannow. UGLY...seems like thousands of corrupt files that...
Sfc /scannow found corrupt files but was unable to fix some. The log does not say whats wrong just stops. Not really sure where to go from here. Help please.
Help : sfc found corrupt files in System Security
Hello, I have Dell xps 8500 and had some problems with the metro due to a virus. I have ran sfc and the result showed that I have corrupted files in my system and it's unable to to fix them. This is the log file : 2012-12-20 18:16:50, Info CBS TI: --- Initializing...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook